Selecting Windows Media Player as player dumps files to storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

W3VVV

Running Windows 10. Windows Media Player plays local files fine. But when I select Windows Media Player to play a broadcastify audio feed, a 1 KB .asx file gets written to my downloads folder instead of invoking Windows Media Player. I am able to play the .asx file through WMP by clicking on it.

Other broadcastify player selections such as HTML5 and Flash work fine.

Any ideas what I have configured wrong? I'm guessing this is a local system problem since I don't see others reporting it.

Last edited:

W3VVV

To be clearer, I am able to play the file that the .asx file points to, which is an mp3 file. I do realize that .asx files don't actually contain any audio.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Running Windows 10. Windows Media Player plays local files fine. But when I select Windows Media Player to play a broadcastify audio feed, a 1 KB .asx file gets written to my downloads folder instead of invoking Windows Media Player. I am able to play the .asx file through WMP by clicking on it.

Other broadcastify player selections such as HTML5 and Flash work fine.

Any ideas what I have configured wrong? I'm guessing this is a local system problem since I don't see others reporting it.
I think it's your computer File Associations needs .asx files associated with WMP

W3VVV

Thanks for the reply. The file associations look correct. Checked and rechecked many times.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
This link will show you how.

W3VVV

Saw that page much earlier and checked everything out that is described on that page. But thanks for the link anyway.

Everything is configured as the page specifies.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It sounds like a Browser issue. It could be an option setting. Perhaps try another Browser for a test.

W3VVV

I've tried 3 different browsers.

Is anyone using Windows Media player successfully on Windows 10 to play streams from broadcastify?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
WMP loads and plays automatically here as shown in the image. One other ideal I have is check if this is setup correctly --> "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\AutoPlay"
I won't post anymore unless I have new ideals.

Last edited:

W3VVV

Thanks. That confirms that I have a local configuration problem. I'm also have .asx associated with WMP under Choose Default Apps by File Type.

Status
Not open for further replies.