Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvatorejrc

Need help with something on sentinel. I am trying to append certain channels from (NJICS), specifically fairfield police, which falls under essex county, into a favorites list. When I do, not only fairfield police goes on the favorites list, but every other site that is on that list goes on the favorites list as well, so I end up with around 40 unwanted channels. This has never happened before in any of my other favorites lists, so how can I change this?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Need help with something on sentinel. I am trying to append certain channels from (NJICS), specifically fairfield police, which falls under essex county, into a favorites list. When I do, not only fairfield police goes on the favorites list, but every other site that is on that list goes on the favorites list as well, so I end up with around 40 unwanted channels. This has never happened before in any of my other favorites lists, so how can I change this?
That's normal for when you append part of a larger regional, or statewide, trunked system. While you can select only specific departments, by default when you try to append those you selected, all of the sites on the system will be appended as well. If you've 'never seen that before', then you must have been appending from a system that only has one, or maybe a couple of sites.

You can handle this in one of two ways:
If you are using location with the Favorites list that is the target for appending, then by correctly setting your location and range, all those "extra" sites will be ignored. (If you were to travel, with a GPS connected to the scanner, then those other sites would be enabled or disabled as you come into, or pass out of, range for the site.)

If, instead, you'd rather remove them, then go to the page for the system.

Now, click on the County column header over the list of sites. That will sort them according to the name of the county.
1602469376172.png
In Sentinel, the sites are sorted by the site name. But some of the names may be for a local geographic location, or other prominent area, that you are not familiar with. Sorting by county helps you narrow the sites down to only the ones you want. You can delete the extras either via the Favorites list editor, or do it on the initial Sentinel screen. Highlight the ones you want to remove and either right click on the selected sites and use the "Remove from Favorites list" line on the pop-up menu (after you right-click), or simply press the Delete key on your keyboard. Either way, Sentinel will ask you to confirm you want to remove them, then after you confirm the choice, they'll be deleted.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can't append just a talkgroup from a system. You have to append the system, including at least one site within reception range.

amcare38

Having an issue with Sentinel also. Recently bought a BCD536HP. Using Sentinel I created 1 profile containing 4 favorite lists. When I wrote the data to the scanner, I got a confirmation message the data had been written, but the scanner showed nothing to scan. Apparently no data was actually sent to the radio. Both Sentinel & firmware are current. Any thoughts/suggestions?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Having an issue with Sentinel also. Recently bought a BCD536HP. Using Sentinel I created 1 profile containing 4 favorite lists. When I wrote the data to the scanner, I got a confirmation message the data had been written, but the scanner showed nothing to scan. Apparently no data was actually sent to the radio. Both Sentinel & firmware are current. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Click here and scroll down to "Uniden 3-Tier DMA":

Also, page 78 in the BCD536HP manual.

Last edited:

amcare38

The "nothing to scan" problem has been resolved & replaced with another problem. The scanner fails to stop on an active channel, but if I hold on that active channel I hear the activity.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The "nothing to scan" problem has been resolved & replaced with another problem. The scanner fails to stop on an active channel, but if I hold on that active channel I hear the activity.
Make sure that you have the service types enabled. When the scanner is shipped, and/or Sentinel is first installed, only the Dispatch service type is enabled for public safety users- Law, Fire, EMS, & Multi. You should also enable the Tac & Talk service types for these- Law Talk, Fie Tac, Multi-Tac, etc. Look at the channel in your programming in Sentinel & verify that the correct service type is entered for the channel, and that service type is enabled in your profile (as well as the scanner).

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have the PA-STARNet P25 system in a favorites list. Since the system is new and constantly expanding, I need to periodically add new departments, sites, etc. When I go to the database and try to append a department to the existing system, it creates a new system. I want to merge the new departments into the existing system, but can't figure out how to do it. Is the only way to do this by appending the second department to the favorites list and then do copy and pastes from the second department to the existing department, or am I missing something. I'm used to EZ-Scan where the data updates the sites and talkgroups, so I'm thinking that I don't know the Uniden way of doing the same thing?

Thanks

You can't append just a talkgroup from a system. You have to append the system, including at least one site within reception range.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have the PA-STARNet P25 system in a favorites list. Since the system is new and constantly expanding, I need to periodically add new departments, sites, etc. When I go to the database and try to append a department to the existing system, it creates a new system. I want to merge the new departments into the existing system, but can't figure out how to do it. Is the only way to do this by appending the second department to the favorites list and then do copy and pastes from the second department to the existing department, or am I missing something. I'm used to EZ-Scan where the data updates the sites and talkgroups, so I'm thinking that I don't know the Uniden way of doing the same thing?

Thanks
Read this.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at ARC536. The reason that I could use update, is that after I append a system, I capitalize all names so that it easier for me to see. I'm really not trying to have to do it each time that I need to update the system.

I tried copying a department from the appended system to the original, but it did not copy the channels. Do I have to copy the department and then copy the channels separately?

There is no such "update" function.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Also in EZ-Scan, if you right click on a name column it gives you the option to capitalize one or all names. You can also left, center or right justify the names in the column.

Status
Not open for further replies.