• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Setting up my first GMRS Repeater

The XPR8400 absolutely does analog. It does DMR, analog, and with the Dynamic Mixed Mode entitlement, will actually do both "simultaneously." I put simultaneously in quotes since analog will only repeat analog, DMR will only repeat DMR, and both can't be used at the same time, i.e. if somebody is talking on DMR, you can't use the analog side of the repeater.

While not as robust as the Quantar, they are great repeaters. And if you're looking for some sort of portability while camping, you aren't going to be dragging a Quantar anywhere. Stick a XPR8400 in a 19" rack pelican case, and portable you go. They aren't exactly lightweight, but still portable enough.

As was said, you can't use DMR on GMRS.

Hmm, ok that changes things, so my current thought is then maybe do the XPR8400 repeater in analog mode.. I've been wanting to pickup a UHF XPR7550e anyway.. and then a XTL2500 for a basestation (to try Simplex house to house). I like staying in the same product family, and am most familiar with Motorola from programming radios at my old EMS department.

prcguy

Hmm, ok that changes things, so my current thought is then maybe do the XPR8400 repeater in analog mode.. I've been wanting to pickup a UHF XPR7550e anyway.. and then a XTL2500 for a basestation (to try Simplex house to house). I like staying in the same product family, and am most familiar with Motorola from programming radios at my old EMS department.
The 8400 is still two mobiles in a box and the Quantar is a much better, higher power, higher duty cycle repeater for about the same price.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
  1. In the grand scheme of things, I would like to be able grow beyond analog and do a P25 repeater or other digital system.. is it even possible for an individual to buy (lease, I suppose?) a radio frequency from the FCC for personal (non-business) use. If business use is needed, would an LLC be sufficient?
Note that except for very expensive auctions of large bandwidth, no one buys or owns a frequency. The FCC does not sell or lease frequencies. One can be licensed for it but it will be shared by other licensed users. In some cases, there is coordination required or possible to help in select a frequency where there will not be too much conflict.

Note that except for very expensive auctions of large bandwidth, no one buys or owns a frequency. The FCC does not sell or lease frequencies. One can be licensed for it but it will be shared by other licensed users. In some cases, there is coordination required or possible to help in select a frequency where there will not be too much conflict.
I probably used the wrong words, I did mean to "lease" the frequency, entitling the user(s) to privacy tones and allowing for digital transmission and ADP.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I nabbed a Quantar that prcguy mentioned for $600. I also got up to speed quick enough learning that I would also need some additional gear to make things work. These things will add up. I may be forgetting something, so this list may not be complete.
1. Agilent (HP) 8935 / E6380A ( This is what I use, or you could hire someone )
2. LDF4-50A coaxial cable ( For a 75' run or less ) I have used LMR-400 and it works, but avoid it for a repeater.
3. A BpBr UHF duplexer ( I run it at 50W, so I use/suffer a flat pack duplexer. The repeater is at my home and not a radio site, so I can get away with that simple flat pack notch filter. )
4. Coax test cables with a 6dB pad on each.
5. Windows machine I already had along with cables to connect to the Quantar.
6. Motorola software for the Quantar
7. Various other things like a dummy load, connectors and what not for testing/analyzing/adjusting/tuning.
8. A UHF antenna that I cut to freq along with a mast I already had.

The antenna is about 30' AGL so the range is around 10 miles and less. Much depends on if someone is using a handheld, mobile, or home station with an external antenna. Perhaps build up your station with just the coax and antenna first and try simplex. If that works you can avoid the costly repeater items. If your repeater needs to operate beyond 10 miles, your antenna will need some significant elevation which equals additional costs such as an elevated radio site. Here is a line of sight calculator so that you can punch in some elevations AGL (Above Ground Level) and get an idea of the range.

P.S. A duplexer along with the coax will have some losses for TX and RX.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I did mean to "lease" the frequency, entitling the user(s) to privacy tones and allowing for digital transmission and ADP.
"Leasing" a frequency would assume that someone "owns" the frequency. In the VHF (150-174 MHz) and UHF (450-512 MHz) bands covered by Part 90, nobody, to the best of my knowledge, owns a frequency. The frequencies are a shared resource. If you attempt to apply for a Part 90 license, the FCC will probably direct you to a frequency coordinator who will charge you a lot of money, find a frequency or frequencies for you to use, they may suggest a "privacy tone", and they may suggest a digital voice or data mode. Once you have the coordination, then the FCC will consider granting you a license. The license will specify the frequency or frequencies, the bandwidth, and the emission designator which will depend on the digital voice or data mode. However, the FCC will make no guarantees that you will have exclusive use of a "private" frequency.

However, none of that applies to GMRS. The frequencies used in GMRS are designated and there are only 8 possible GMRS repeater pairs. There is no coordination of GMRS repeaters, just informal local agreements or courtesies among GMRS repeater operators. GMRS repeaters are analog voice only; digital voice is not allowed in GMRS. As a GMRS repeater or simplex operator, you decide what "privacy tone" to use, if any. All of this is covered by your GMRS license without any further action required from the FCC.

Also, don't get sucked into the idea that a "privacy tone" on a radio signal makes the signal private. Anyone with a simple scanner can listen to your VHF or UHF transmission no matter what "privacy tone" you are using. Also, the commonly-used digital voice modes are well known and are decodable with readily-available equipment. To be truly private, you'd need to use something like AES encryption which would tend to drive up the cost of radios.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
However, none of that applies to GMRS. The frequencies used in GMRS are designated and there are only 8 possible GMRS repeater pairs. There is no coordination of GMRS repeaters, just informal local agreements or courtesies among GMRS repeater operators. GMRS repeaters are analog voice only; digital voice is not allowed in GMRS. As a GMRS repeater or simplex operator, you decide what "privacy tone" to use, if any. All of this is covered by your GMRS license without any further action required from the FCC.
Not to mention, despite the linked repeater pigs occupying all 8 pairs in many areas, the rules as written require all users to share- meaning your repeater has just as much precedence to exist as mine. When you are using yours, I have to abstain and vice versa. I know, hard to do when ham radio style IP linking is used and local users have no way of practically knowing a given frequency far far away is being utilized by someone else.

Really appreciate everyone's continued feedback here (definitely learning a lot). I think one of the things I overlooked was what GMRS frequency should we use. I did a survey on MyGMRS and found the following:

Warminster 550 / Warminster, PA
Montco Central / Norristown Borough, PA
Wil-mont / Wilmington, DE
wrvi668 / Franklinville, NJ

[EMPTY]

Richboro /Richboro, PA
Aston Mills, Aston, PA

[EMPTY]

Camco 600 / Camden, NJ
CHI 600 / Upper Chichester, PA

[EMPTY]

Township 625 / Blackwood, NJ
Montco West / Worcester Township, PA
Hamilton / Hamilton, NJ

[EMPTY]

Latinos1 / Philadelphia, PA
Montco East / Plymouth Township, PA
Mercer County / Lawrenceville, NJ

[EMPTY]

[EMPTY]

[EMPTY]

Woodbury 700 / Woodbury Heights, NJ

[EMPTY]

South 1 / South Philadelphia, PA
DARBY TWP 725 / Darby Twp, PA
Montco Local / Norristown Borough, PA

All Empty
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the polite thing to do would be to scan the "empty" frequencies that don't have a repeater published (doesn't mean there isn't one there or folks using Simplex) and scan them for a week to try to gauge activity as to not step on folks who may have been there first.

Once the frequency is determined then decide on something like below for whichever repeater I end up, program that into the radio as below

462.7125-R
TX: 462.7125 PL 77.9
RX: 467.7125 PL 82.5

462.7125-S
RX: 462.7125 PL 77.9

prcguy

Really appreciate everyone's continued feedback here (definitely learning a lot). I think one of the things I overlooked was what GMRS frequency should we use. I did a survey on MyGMRS and found the following:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the polite thing to do would be to scan the "empty" frequencies that don't have a repeater published (doesn't mean there isn't one there or folks using Simplex) and scan them for a week to try to gauge activity as to not step on folks who may have been there first.

Once the frequency is determined then decide on something like below for whichever repeater I end up, program that into the radio as below

462.7125-R
RX: 467.7125 PL 82.5

462.7125-S
RX: 462.7125 PL 77.9
One way to find a lesser used frequency is program them all in a scanner then let it run for a week locking out the busiest channels. You will be left with the least used channels. I have a scanner around here somewhere with a PL decoder that I would leave on a frequency and it will log all hits with what tone/DPL is used and the duration for each tone/DPL. It then dumps that onto your computer for easy comparison.

You can't go by any Internet data on what frequencies have or are supposed to have repeaters. Actual listening is the only way to know.

One way to find a lesser used frequency is program them all in a scanner then let it run for a week locking out the busiest channels. You will be left with the least used channels. I have a scanner around here somewhere with a PL decoder that I would leave on a frequency and it will log all hits with what tone/DPL is used and the duration for each tone/DPL. It then dumps that onto your computer for easy comparison.
That's not a bad idea either! I have a UNIDEN Bearcat BCD996P2 next to me with a lot of my local area programmed in, so I could certainly do that. From the easier to read manual, it should be able to do CTCSS/DCS/NAC tone decoding: Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Digital Scanner Manual. I would just program in all of the GMRS frequencies and then lockout what hits and note the tone, correct?

prcguy

That's not a bad idea either! I have a UNIDEN Bearcat BCD996P2 next to me with a lot of my local area programmed in, so I could certainly do that. From the easier to read manual, it should be able to do CTCSS/DCS/NAC tone decoding: Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Digital Scanner Manual. I would just program in all of the GMRS frequencies and then lockout what hits and note the tone, correct?
What I do is let the scanner run for about a week and make notes on what channels are busy at first. Then after a few days lock out the worst offenders and keep doing that until you have one or two channels left that are hopefully quiet. You don't want to lock anything out right away because some channels might only be busy on weekends, some only during morning and evening travel times and so on. When you finally pick your target frequency you can then monitor what tones or DPLs might be used so you'll be able to make a good choice on the tone/DPL you will use.

What I do is let the scanner run for about a week and make notes on what channels are busy at first. Then after a few days lock out the worst offenders and keep doing that until you have one or two channels left that are hopefully quiet. You don't want to lock anything out right away because some channels might only be busy on weekends, some only during morning and evening travel times and so on. When you finally pick your target frequency you can then monitor what tones or DPLs might be used so you'll be able to make a good choice on the tone/DPL you will use.
R&U, I will get started on this today. I just picked up my downstream gear after some great deliberation, I decided I wanted quality gear and an upgrade from my HT1550's and XTS2500. I'm also a pretty big fan of buy once, cry once. I know Moto gear is built to last and it's what I have the most experience with, albeit that was when the HT1250/CDM1250 were kind in the Fire/EMS world.

Portable Radio: XPR7550e UHF Bundle ($389)- MOTOROLA XPR7550e PORTABLE RADIO UHF ALL ACCESSORIES EXTRA BATTERY | eBay
Base Radio: XTL2500 UHF R2 Bundle ($369)- MOTOROLA UHF XTL2500. DASH MOUNT WITH ACCESSORIES M21SSM9PW1AN P25. ADP UHF R2 | eBay
Base Radio Power: HPN4007D (replaced the older model 4001B, I think?): motorola HPN4007D switching power supply AE210-3101501AV | eBay
Base Radio Antenna: TBD for now (open to suggestions here)

My friend who I'm hoping to talk to about 3 miles away in lovely Hostile City (Philly) will have the following gear to test before buying "fancy"

Portable Radio: HT1550 XLS UHF R2
Base Radio: CDM1250 UHF S-Split
Base Radio Power: HPN4007D
Base Radio Antenna: TBD for now

We're going to try outside of our homes portable-portable simplex first, if that works, great (I don't expect it to), and then we'll try from interior with base stations once I decide on some Antennas. If we can communicate over Simplex GMRS I can take my time picking out the repeater and continue to plan that build.

I'm also well aware we could have picked up some TalkPods or Baeofang UV-5R's or whatever, but we wanted something durable, that will can be abused, that will last, that will work well when we get out to some private hunting land we have, and that could be used reliably in the event of an emergency where the cell phone towers are down.

Did you know that repeater operation is not allowed on the 12.5 kHz interstitial channels?
I do now, thank you for that clarification

Your choices for repeater pairs are:

And why would you run split tone?
Understood, I will focus on those so it would be 462.725 TX and 467.725 RX? or 462.700 TX and 462.725 RX (is that what you mean by pair?) I had read somewhere that split tone could help reduce interference, if that's inaccurate, I will surely adjust the plan. I'm very much learning as I go and appreciate all of this invaluable feedback.

R&U, I will get started on this today. I just picked up my downstream gear after some great deliberation, I decided I wanted quality gear and an upgrade from my HT1550's and XTS2500. I'm also a pretty big fan of buy once, cry once. I know Moto gear is built to last and it's what I have the most experience with, albeit that was when the HT1250/CDM1250 were kind in the Fire/EMS world.

Portable Radio: XPR7550e UHF Bundle ($389)- MOTOROLA XPR7550e PORTABLE RADIO UHF ALL ACCESSORIES EXTRA BATTERY | eBay
Base Radio: XTL2500 UHF R2 Bundle ($369)- MOTOROLA UHF XTL2500. DASH MOUNT WITH ACCESSORIES M21SSM9PW1AN P25. ADP UHF R2 | eBay
Base Radio Power: HPN4007D (replaced the older model 4001B, I think?): motorola HPN4007D switching power supply AE210-3101501AV | eBay

My friend who I'm hoping to talk to about 3 miles away in lovely Hostile City (Philly) will have the following gear to test before buying "fancy"

We're going to try outside of our homes portable-portable simplex first, if that works, great (I don't expect it to), and then we'll try from interior with base stations once I decide on some Antennas. If we can communicate over Simplex GMRS I can take my time picking out the repeater and continue to plan that build.

I'm also well aware we could have picked up some TalkPods or Baeofang UV-5R's or whatever, but we wanted something durable, that will can be abused, that will last, that will work well when we get out to some private hunting land we have, and that could be used reliably in the event of an emergency where the cell phone towers are down.

Understood, I will focus on those so it would be 462.725 TX and 467.725 RX? or 462.700 TX and 462.725 RX (is that what you mean by pair?) I had read somewhere that split tone could help reduce interference, if that's inaccurate, I will surely adjust the plan. I'm very much learning as I go and appreciate all of this invaluable feedback.
I understand the repeater pairs more now, I don't know how I missed that and feel kind of silly for asking the question I did..

Probably should have searched just a little bit harder before opening my mouth and sounding ignorant: https://hotarc.org/files/gmrs-frs/

prcguy

You would use a 5MHz split pair such as 462.725 and 467.725. The repeater would transmit at 462.725 to your radios and your radios would transmit at 467.725 to the repeater. I don't think its legal to use a mismatched pair. Many years ago people would use split tone to make it harder for someone to find the input tone of the repeater and use or jam it. With modern radios and their tone scan function you will make it harder by a few seconds, so no need to run split tone.

You would use a 5MHz split pair such as 462.725 and 467.725. I don't think its legal to use a mismatched pair. Many years ago people would use split tone to make it harder for someone to find the input tone of the repeater and use or jam it. With modern radios and their tone scan function you will make it harder by a few seconds, so no need to run split tone.
Roger, I actually hit the search box a bit harder and found the same answer (RTFM, what a concept), I appreciate you validating the information that I found as well. That's good to know about split toning and how it's been made essentially obsolete. That will certainly make programming easier.

nd5y