Shortage on NYPD dispatchers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

Last night, it seemed several dispatchers were simultaneously covering other divisions. I couldn't scan much but I saw 100/101/102/106 were on the same air, 104/112/108/114 were linked and the 84/88/90/94 were linked.

I guess covid and new years call-outs stretched them thin. I hope they get taken care off.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
COVID and NYE Call outs, maybe. Overworked & Underpaid.... DEFINITELY

Danny37

I felt bad for the 108/114 dispatcher, she was so overwhelmed already on that division alone. Imagine having another one on top of that.

KC3ECJ

Watched last night's Times Square New Years coverage.
A billboard in Times Square was advertising some Florida police or sheriff's department looking to hire.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Watched last night's Times Square New Years coverage.
A billboard in Times Square was advertising some Florida police or sheriff's department looking to hire.

Here's a news story on that:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
This my personal belief that ever since officers were removed from dispatching in the 70's or earlier dispatching has become a thankless underpaid dare I say profession? I tried it back in the late 90's when my radio repair bussiness was being impacted by cellular and NextHell, and as someone else said you would be better paid at Walmart.

I know that in the 70's at least in Westchester County a dispatcher must be an officer, something about a civilian telling a Police Officer what to do. In Yonkers and other agencies I know of which had civilian dispatchers there was also a Police officer present at all times to meet that (law?) qualifications.

Going back to NYC Bloomburg really screwed with civilian positions money wise, new FD and PD recruits getting paid less than 20K a year! He even had the gall to say let them live at home with their parents!

Looking at the requirements you would be better paid elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.