SIRN

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
West Lib and clearview have a medical and I'm showing conversations on their private channels but Im not hearing any voice on any of my phase 1 scanners on those 2 TG so I'm wondering if they are using TDMA now or of its just a radio problem like you are hearing..
I am currently hearing OC law just fine on the phase 1 scanners... weird how that is showing Phase 2

But the log definitely shows like they are having a successful conversation on Clearview Fire...

References to X2-TDMA should be ignored, that was the first version of TDMA from Motorola and is very similar to what became the P25 Phase II standard. But this gives everyone an idea of what is happening.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
You will see more Ohio County talk groups switch to phase 2 since both Weirton and Ohio County Simulcast are phase 2 compatible. Eventually Brooke County will move to phase 2 also. There are many Marshall County talk groups that have already switched to TDMA.

Last edited:

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
West Lib and clearview have a medical and I'm showing conversations on their private channels but Im not hearing any voice on any of my phase 1 scanners on those 2 TG so I'm wondering if they are using TDMA now or of its just a radio problem like you are hearing..
I am currently hearing OC law just fine on the phase 1 scanners... weird how that is showing Phase 2

But the log definitely shows like they are having a successful conversation on Clearview Fire...
Great find. You can submit it to the database, than one of the admins can add it.

Mylan

Feed Provider
The Ohio County fire private channels were definitely using phase 2 last night... I heard them loud and clear on the SDS-100 while the other scanners were silent.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
Marshall County started it with the fire private channels going TDMA. I am sure we will see more to come. I posted a while back that Ohio County Fire Dispatch was TDMA off the Weirton tower, but Josh didn't see it off of Ohio County Simulcast. Maybe now it is TDMA on OCS.

Bethanylt241

Not always can I receive Ohio County off the Weirton tower, but yesterday when doing some experimenting Ohio County Law had a hit off the Weirton tower showing Phase 2. But was not Phase 2 on Ohio County Simulcast site. I do agree that I see Ohio County Fire Privates as P2, they were having issues with tac channels yesterday maybe they converted those as well and ran into issues. They haven’t been using tacs since.

n8jsw

Premium Subscriber
Looks Like Brooke Co. has been updating some radios to do TDMA on Ohio Co. Site also some Ohio Co. radio have been switching

Mylan

Feed Provider
And now the OC fire privates are back on Phase 1...

With the huge load on OC simulcast, having 3 full counties of public safety plus state and fed talkgroups, and the med channels and busses et al, I wouldnt be surprised to see all three counties moving all the talkgroups to phase 2 soon... With all those agencies competing for 7 frequencies during a nasty weather event there is bound to be a lot of busies

Mylan

Feed Provider
TG 2172 OVRTA is TDMA now. I am running DSD on Ohio County Simulcast.
I am super confused here... I hear OC fire dispatch just fine on old phase 1 radios.... and have been ever since you originally posted about that last week or whenever... They cant be using TDMA if that is the case right? I mean I see it on your screenshot but it doesn't make sense to me.

Bethanylt241

Something to keep in mind, I think they may still have some radios that are not Phase 2 capable. Therefore they can still talk on them as phase 1. Only difference is they can not scan a phase 2 channel or listen unless it on that specific channel. That may be what your seeing as well. Some of the older radios like the XTS model and XTL models are what I’m referring too.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
If a phase 1 radio affiliates to a group it will automatically kick down to p1 to allow that radio to work. There are still a lot of XTS/XTL radios in OC so it may be back and forth for awhile. This is how DDM mode works.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
@Mylan Ohio County Fire dispatch was TDMA on Weirton the other day, so DSD Plus labels it TDMA. My last screen shot was for OVRTA being TDMA off of Ohio County Simulcast and it shows Ohio County Fire Dispatch as TDMA. That’s because it’s it’s labeled as TDMA and they were using Phase 1 not TDMA so that’s why you were able to hear them on older scanner not being TDMA.

I hope that helps you understand why you are receiving it on non phase 2 scanner.

Mylan

Feed Provider
Ok I think I got it now.. So these talkgroups are in fact TDMA mode but when an old radio affiliates on that talkgroup the entire talkgroup will revert to phase I until such time when all affiliated radios are capable of supporting TDMA. Is that accurate?
I see that overnight two of Marshall County's fire tacs were using TDMA. That's the first time I have seen that.
Well thank you guys for helping me in figuring this all out...

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Ok I think I got it now.. So these talkgroups are in fact TDMA mode but when an old radio affiliates on that talkgroup the entire talkgroup will revert to phase I until such time when all affiliated radios are capable of supporting TDMA. Is that accurate?
I see that overnight two of Marshall County's fire tacs were using TDMA. That's the first time I have seen that.
Well thank you guys for helping me in figuring this all out...

Yep you got it now, chief!

Mike

coryparker

Anyone been hearing anything on Preston County Law. I haven’t heard anything for a couple weeks.
I haven't heard anything either in a long time. I'm thinking they switched to using their secure channel full time, which is encrypted. I used to hear dispatch tell an officer to switch to secure to tell them something. Now the main dispatch is silent. I see the secure channel (TGID 623) pop up on my scanner all the time but don't hear anything because it's encrypted.

fredva

Feed Provider
I haven't heard anything either in a long time. I'm thinking they switched to using their secure channel full time, which is encrypted. I used to hear dispatch tell an officer to switch to secure to tell them something. Now the main dispatch is silent. I see the secure channel (TGID 623) pop up on my scanner all the time but don't hear anything because it's encrypted.
Hmm. I think that might go against the SIRN rules.