SIRN

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Mike,
It’s a permanent move. Attached is a picture of the radio room at SP Huntington. All communications equipment and CPUs have been removed.

That's ashame. When the Ohio State Patrol went to consolidated dispatching, I thought that was ashame too. But at least they do still have quite a few different locations where dispatches are handled. It looks like SIRN is really trying to narrow things down to a minimum number of locations.

EastCoastSunrise

Premium Subscriber
I agree, truly is a shame… in my neck of the woods more agencies and the state police still have their own dispatchers. I find there’s something special about these smaller agencies who still have their own dispatchers. You can tell they all know each other and genuinely care for one another and the job they do. Sadly this is lost in larger agencies who have either one dispatcher for sever channels or several dispatchers for 1 agency. Also in my opinion the worst part of this whole thing is going to be the loss of highly trained individuals who over the years learned about their guys and the territory they work. In these new consolidated centers I feel this is lost, and these skills are almost impossible to replace. But I understand why they need to do this. Having an interop network is very important and the cost savings must have been appealing but either way the talent that will be lost as a result will be hard to replace if not irreplaceable.

Bethanylt241

This might of been asked before or in another thread but does anyone have any info on how the State Police unit numbers work? I’m assuming there by rank, but is there any resemblance on specific unit numbers for locations or districts

Mylan

Feed Provider
This might of been asked before or in another thread but does anyone have any info on how the State Police unit numbers work? I’m assuming there by rank, but is there any resemblance on specific unit numbers for locations or districts
Interesting you should ask that... While I'm certainly not able to provide an official answer to that question, it appears to go by nothing other than time spent with the agency and has nothing to do with location, rank, or assignment. All WVSP units were assigned a new number at midnight on August 31 and I just happened to have made note of every Troop 1 unit I've heard use the radio and when I did the math, each of the 74 units which I have been able to confirm both old and new number (out of the 79 units in total) moved up an exact number of digits taking into account retirements, resignations and dismissals; no unit numbers skipped any others.
In Troop 1, The previous highest unit I logged was 671 who is now 625, a difference of 46... The lowest number I logged prior to the change was 63 who is now 51, a difference of 12... Since the switch, I have logged a unit #32 and a unit #37 but I did not get their prior unit numbers since I've only been able to hear them for less than a month and the higher ups in the agency rarely use the radio.
This differs greatly from the State of Ohio in which troopers there keep the same unit number throughout the entirety of their employment regardless of rank...

Bethanylt241

It appears on my end that Brooke Law, and most Brooke County Fire Privates are TDMA. Maybe the Tacs as well. From experience we have had no issues so far with the upgrade that I know of.

xg100p

When they were installing the radios at my Agency ( Recently as of last year ) I was told one of the hold ups was the programming. Bearcom recently had an individual hired from the military and had limited experience programming Motorola radios. I guess the navy uses other brands more frequently. My question was why have someone with limited experience , that was right around the time Bearcom took employee benefits away and they lost a bunch of people. So the ol saying goes , You get what ya pay for.

Bethanylt241

Can anyone tell me what TG 8310 is? I just now heard transmission talking about departure from Pittsburgh Airport, I couldn’t gather it all though

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me what TG 8310 is? I just now heard transmission talking about departure from Pittsburgh Airport, I couldn’t gather it all though
As you probably know by now, it seems to fall near the USPS Postal Inspectors' Tactical talk group numbering. Of course, the numbering is never a guarantee of anything, but it seems like it might make sense, given the convo you heard.

Bethanylt241

Looking for help on setting up a monitoring decoding system. I downloaded DSD plus but I can seem to get it to open and work on my computer. What is everyone using? Any help will be appreciated

nhicks6608

How do you get TG's added to the SIRN list?
There are 2 I usually pick up in Parkersburg that are not listed here..

7181 - Mid Ohio Valley Transit Authority Ch. 1
7183 - Mid Ohio Valley Transit Authority Ch. 2