SIRN

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Maybe not. Back to encrypted traffic on PTAC1 and little traffic on TG 1107 but more than the other week.
Just out of curiosity, what are you using to monitor PTAC1? I've been trying to hear what you've been monitoring, only to find out that the newer unidens don't produce any sound on encrypted channels. The SDS200 gives you that brief ENCRY flashing notice, but you have to be quick to catch it. Had to resort to my PRO-197 to hear what you're hearing. Plus Martinsburg can be hit or miss for me in Hampshire. Really hope this isn't the shape of things to come...

Did just hear a dispatch on 1107, though.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity, what are you using to monitor PTAC1? I've been trying to hear what you've been monitoring, only to find out that the newer unidens don't produce any sound on encrypted channels. The SDS200 gives you that brief ENCRY flashing notice, but you have to be quick to catch it. Had to resort to my PRO-197 to hear what you're hearing. Plus Martinsburg can be hit or miss for me in Hampshire. Really hope this isn't the shape of things to come...

Did just hear a dispatch on 1107, though.

SDR Trunk and Unitrunker. Neither will allow you to hear anything encrypted.

What tower are you monitoring?

Yeah, I don't like it either but there's really nothing we can do I guess.

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
SDR Trunk and Unitrunker. Neither will allow you to hear anything encrypted.

Yeah, I don't like it either but there's really nothing we can do I guess.

One thought was to say something to the state because I think there's some dispatch traffic that's being encrypted. A second was to say something to the Sheriff and the county that as a citizen and state/county tax payer, I feel it's something all citizens should be allowed access to but this could backfire in a few ways. I'm completely fine with sensitive traffic being encrypted but there's no reason to encrypted 95% of it. There's still plenty to listen to just not exactly what I'd like to.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
On Monday, I was just monitoring Martinsburg--it was coming in especially good. When I want to really be certain to hear all of Berkeley Co, I listen to Kearneysville AND Martinsburg. Martinsburg can be hit or miss for me, but Kearneysville has a better line of sight to my antenna--albeit much further away.

One thought was to say something to the state because I think there's some dispatch traffic that's being encrypted. A second was to say something to the Sheriff and the county that as a citizen and state/county tax payer, I feel it's something all citizens should be allowed access to but this could backfire in a few ways. I'm completely fine with sensitive traffic being encrypted but there's no reason to encrypted 95% of it. There's still plenty to listen to just not exactly what I'd like to.
Encryption makes it pretty hard to prove that dispatch is being routed over an encrypted channel--even though if you monitor it regularly, you're most likely correct. And you're also correct to say that any mention of it could seriously backfire. Maybe a question or email to your county's SIRN rep, might be a better (and safer) way forward. The SIRN guideance docs on dispatch channels are certainly on your side. I'm just hoping like you that it's temporary or that there's some logical explanation.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
On Monday, I was just monitoring Martinsburg--it was coming in especially good. When I want to really be certain to hear all of Berkeley Co, I listen to Kearneysville AND Martinsburg. Martinsburg can be hit or miss for me, but Kearneysville has a better line of sight to my antenna--albeit much further away.

Yeah, some of the voice channels on the Martinsburg tower are very low in signal. It's especially bad for me in our basement with a Diamond RH77 antenna on any scanner. The outside antenna is fine. I can get the Kearneysville site a lot better no matter where I am in the house but not all Berkeley traffic is on it. I can get the Ridge site with a yagi outside so I can get everything that's on that one. I primarily installed the antenna for that site to receive the WVSP traffic on TG 9007 when 9005 was more for Berkeley and Jefferson.

Encryption makes it pretty hard to prove that dispatch is being routed over an encrypted channel--even though if you monitor it regularly, you're most likely correct. And you're also correct to say that any mention of it could seriously backfire. Maybe a question or email to your county's SIRN rep, might be a better (and safer) way forward. The SIRN guideance docs on dispatch channels are certainly on your side. I'm just hoping like you that it's temporary or that there's some logical explanation.

I've emailed them a few weeks ago. I have yet to hear anything. Maybe if more people were to email them, they might take it more seriously. But honestly, I don't think they care.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
Since installing my external antenna, I can basically get the Ridge, Romney, and Wardensville towers with full bars--Keyser and Kearneysville are pretty decent--Martinsburg can be hit or miss, but it's been pretty good since the leaves have dropped.

I'm going to ask a friend of a friend who works with our folks in Hampshire to see if they know anything about the goings on in Berkeley... They've been very helpful to me in the past. If I get anything, I'll be certain to pass it on.

kc8iqz

I live at the Woods subdivision on the far western side of Berkeley Co. I asked about the loss of BCPD and got the following:

Mr. Donnelly
The reason you can no longer hear the Sheriff’s department is because they now communicate on an encrypted trunked channel.
Gary

Berkeley County Council

400 West Stephen Street, Suite 104
Martinsburg, WV 25401
Office: 304-267-5113
Email: gwine@berkeleywv.org

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I live at the Woods subdivision on the far western side of Berkeley Co. I asked about the loss of BCPD and got the following:

Mr. Donnelly
The reason you can no longer hear the Sheriff’s department is because they now communicate on an encrypted trunked channel.
Gary

400 West Stephen Street, Suite 104
Martinsburg, WV 25401
Office: 304-267-5113
Email: gwine@berkeleywv.org

Ask him why.

Bethanylt241

It’s hit and miss in the northern panhandle. I’m thinking a trooper traveling through the area or somebody’s radio is affiliated with that Talkgroup in the area. I’ve also got a lot of hits coming from the South Charleston Post also.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
I've been getting Troop 1 and 4 as well as the usual Troop 2 on the Martinsburg site.
It’s hit and miss in the northern panhandle. I’m thinking a trooper traveling through the area or somebody’s radio is affiliated with that Talkgroup in the area. I’ve also got a lot of hits coming from the South Charleston Post also.
I'm still at a loss to understand why a trooper wouldn't switch to the local talkgroup when transiting an area that isn't their normal patrol zone. (And I understand it even less if they're actually operating out-of-area on their home talkgroup). Wouldn't he/she want to have the ability to talk the local troopers--especially in these dangerous times?

I guess that if more than one car is transiting an area that doesn't normally use your talkgroup, you're effectively getting a "private" channel by staying on your home talkgroup. That makes a bit of sense to me. I guess the WVSP could also be using distant talkgroups for special operations--but that doesn't seem to me to be good comms practice. And they've got access to tonnes of tac channels--encrypted and clear.

Oh well, not gonna lose any sleep over it--my curious mind just wants to know.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I'm still at a loss to understand why a trooper wouldn't switch to the local talkgroup when transiting an area that isn't their normal patrol zone. (And I understand it even less if they're actually operating out-of-area on their home talkgroup). Wouldn't he/she want to have the ability to talk the local troopers--especially in these dangerous times?

I guess that if more than one car is transiting an area that doesn't normally use your talkgroup, you're effectively getting a "private" channel by staying on your home talkgroup. That makes a bit of sense to me. I guess the WVSP could also be using distant talkgroups for special operations--but that doesn't seem to me to be good comms practice. And they've got access to tonnes of tac channels--encrypted and clear.

Oh well, not gonna lose any sleep over it--my curious mind just wants to know.

If it is a trooper, he's probably aware of what they are doing and would change the channel if needed.

Or it could be someone with a radio on a tower that has those other channels like a radio tech or someone else.