Software apps for various receivers/transceivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some may wonder if there are control apps for receivers and ham transceivers that are like the various scanner apps, such as FreeScan or ProScan.

The answer is yes - sort of. I'm in the midst of doing some badly-needed reorganizing (I should have done this sooner, frankly, but my plate was pretty much full until recently...), but I think you will find the list very interesting...

Receiver Software Applications - The RadioReference Wiki
Amateur Radio Transceiver Control - The RR Wiki

Don't be too surprised at the number of ham-related apps. Those with transceivers usually have general-coverage receivers built in, and there are some packages that take advantage of this. You can't 'scan' on HF as you do above 30 mhz for many reasons, not the least of which is the difficulty of telling the difference between a noise burst and actual data to be interpreted.

And speaking of interpreting 'noise', you should check out this website for digital decoding software...

Utility Monitoring Central

73 Mike

Last edited:

jyams

Windows 7 and Smart R8B Control

After experimenting with a serial to USB converter, got the old Smart R8B Control program to work today with my Drake R8B in Windows 7. Smart R8B was a Windows 95 app developed by Fineware, which no longer is in business. However, it is available for downloading at several places. Just google it. Be sure to run Smart R8B Control in Windows XP compatibility mode with "Run as Administrator" checked. To do so must rightclick on the SmWin32.exe file and click these options.

Also, if you unzip the downloadable version available at various places, don't run the "setup" application to install it on your Windows 7 PC. The setup file won't run. What you must do is run the setup.exe program on an XP computer and install to a folder other than Program Files. Then, just copy the contents of that folder to a folder on your Windows 7 machine and run the Smart R8B (SmWin32.exe) program in the modes described earlier. It should work.

Of course, the big thing you must have is a Serial to USB port converter. The R8B uses a straight through serial cable with DB9 male connector. I had an older TrippLite converter and found some new Windows 7 drivers for it and it works great. The drivers setup the com port as port 8.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2G-38) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

http://chirp.danplanet.com/

majoco

Stirrer
Unfortunately Ken has not updated the VR5000 pdf files yet but it is almost the same as the Icom R20 control as shown here...

http://ke7ate.tripod.com/r20sigcap.pdf

... but the main details of the VR5000 control are shown here....

KE7ATE - VR-5000 Signal Capture and Analysis Software

Unfortunately because of the slowness of using USB to control the radio, it doesn't work as a scanner any more but, it's still a damn good control and display programme. Because the VR5000 works well on HF too, I have stored the database from Eibi and it works really well.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Thanks Martin - I'll add this to the VR-5000 wiki, and his other 2 programs will go to their respective places. It's appreciated

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In this context, most certainly. App meaning application, and in this world, that's software....Mike

bigdancameron

swezey dsp

the best dsp software is swezey dsp it was origanaly made
for restoring audio from 78's but it has a very powerfull
swl component buts its $40 and the shareware version is
hard to use because it makes a tone and stops audio then
starts again
but it is the best
the best free one is br-universalfilt
you can get br-uneversalfilt at The DXZone: ham-radio, shortwave and cb-radio guide
and you can get swezey at The Swezey Digital Filter Program!

Status
Not open for further replies.