Some help please on RSPdx and sdrtrunk

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
So i bought a RSPdx and to be honest it has been a nightmare, i thought it would be just like the RTL-SDR dongles that i was using but it's a whole other beast "at least for me" so far i have been able to get it to work with sdr++ and sdrconnect and i got it working with sdrtrunk the nightly version but i'm having a problem it's locking onto a control channel fine but it's not displaying traffic underneath the yellow control channel it's showing that it's receiving talkgroups in the events window but thats it. i made sure all the settings we're right and i have tried all the other settings as well it's just being difficult. i will add a log file i'm not sure if it's the correct one tho . i will add screenshots showing what i see and it's all i see nothing ever changes i made sure the tuner options was set to single tuner i calibrated it and downloaded the audio files. so idk also in the screenshot im adding it will overload thats what it looks like notice the top of the waterfall on the first and second screenshot it does that from time to time i had that issue on the dongles and i tried turning the gain down on the rspdx but after so far the signal drops. i do have the rspdx working with dsdplus fastlane but barely I HATE THAT THE SCAN FUNCTION IN FASTLANE DOESN'T WORK! the same as with the dongles the rspdx will scan but their is no squelch option and that just takes another point off the rspdx u would think since it cost so much more it would do what the dongles do but better idk i'm sure some of you guys will disagree. I wish it would set up the same with op25 as the dongles do so i could use it on my raspberry pi. but thats my opinion on the RSPdx so far i dont' see how it's better than the dongles but i am still fairly new to the hobby. Thanks a bunch guys if it wasn't for radio reference and u all i wouldn't have any place to go to to figure these things out.

Attachments

• signal-2024-08-18-155001_002.png
    signal-2024-08-18-155001_002.png
    280.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 1.png
    1.png
    279.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.png
    2.png
    254.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 3.png
    3.png
    257.4 KB · Views: 24
  • sdrtrunk_app.txt
    309.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Please upload the SDR-Trunk playlist file. Have you selected the talkgroups you want to record/listen to properly in an alias list? If you're seeing activity channels show up like in your screenshot, it would appear to be functioning properly, outside the fact that the ones you show here are encrypted.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
I see the following in sdrtrunk_app.txt
i.g.d.s.t.manager.TunerManager - Unable to source channel [161875000] from preferred tuner [RSPdx SER:223700DC48] - searching for another tuner [179MB/288MB 62%]​

It looks like your sample rate is 8.0Mhz (6.9Mhz usable). The Honaker site has a 9.3175Mhz frequency spread.

<edit> You should have access up to 10 MHz sample rate in the tuner settings.

Last edited:

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
I see the following in sdrtrunk_app.txt
i.g.d.s.t.manager.TunerManager - Unable to source channel [161875000] from preferred tuner [RSPdx SER:223700DC48] - searching for another tuner [179MB/288MB 62%]​

It looks like your sample rate is 8.0Mhz (6.9Mhz usable). The Honaker site has a 9.3175Mhz frequency spread.

<edit> You should have access up to 10 MHz sample rate in the tuner settings.
i tried 10 mhz still getting nothing

RMason

Premium Subscriber
i tried 10 mhz still getting nothing
What does it show as the “usable“ bandwidth in the tuner tab? The RSPdx may not have enough usable bandwidth to cover all of the frequencies of the site. The Honaker site has a 9.3175Mhz frequency spread.

Do you still get the “unable to source channel” messages in the console window?

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
What does it show as the “usable“ bandwidth in the tuner tab? The RSPdx may not have enough usable bandwidth to cover all of the frequencies of the site. The Honaker site has a 9.3175Mhz frequency spread.

Do you still get the “unable to source channel” messages in the console window?
it works with 2 dongles and those are just 2.4mhz each shouldn't the rspdx with 10mhz be fine? or is it because with the dongles one is used as control and the other is allowed to move? the available bandwidth on the rspdx is 8.5mhz. last night when i was trying it it did start working for a second and then it's stopped and won't do nothing now

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
is it because with the dongles one is used as control and the other is allowed to move
Correct. In fact, two frequencies would be covered by 1 dongle, and the other 2 frequencies on the other, full time without moving. You'll be better off running 2 dongles on this than the RSP.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
it works with 2 dongles and those are just 2.4mhz each shouldn't the rspdx with 10mhz be fine? or is it because with the dongles one is used as control and the other is allowed to move? the available bandwidth on the rspdx is 8.5mhz. last night when i was trying it it did start working for a second and then it's stopped and won't do nothing now
The Honaker site has a 9.3175Mhz frequency spread. The RSPdx is only giving you a 8.5Mhz usable bandwidth in sdrtrunk. Some of the bandwidth provided by SDRs can be unusable due to filter roll-off at the spectral edges and a DC spectral component. sdrtrunk avoids placing decoding channels into these frequency regions because the signal quality can be compromised and negatively impact decoding.

Your control channel is 152.6825Mhz. It is possible that when it worked briefly, the voice channel was 152.7125Mhz - which easily fits within the bandwidth of the dongle.

2 (2)013 (D)Honaker Buchanan152.6825c152.7125c161.875162.000

or is it because with the dongles one is used as control and the other is allowed to move?
Yes. One dongle locks to the control frequency. The second dongle is allowed to move.

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
First off, uncheck this.
1724023683688.png
Secondly, try adjusting your PPM down a notch or two from 0. Goal is to get the error rate as close to zero there as possible. Thirdly, just want you to confirm that you are indeed connected to Antenna "A" which is an SMA port on the RSPDX and not connected to the BNC port? This is a common mistake some make. If connected to the BNC port you'll want to switch to 'Ant C' which is BNC

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
First off, uncheck this.
View attachment 167763
Secondly, try adjusting your PPM down a notch or two from 0. Goal is to get the error rate as close to zero there as possible. Thirdly, just want you to confirm that you are indeed connected to Antenna "A" which is an SMA port on the RSPDX and not connected to the BNC port? This is a common mistake some make. If connected to the BNC port you'll want to switch to 'Ant C' which is BNC
Thank you yes i have the correct antenna picked. i will try the ppm

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
First off, uncheck this.
View attachment 167763
what is your opinion on dsdplus fastlane with the rspdx have u used it with that?

RMason

Premium Subscriber
or is it because with the dongles one is used as control and the other is allowed to move?
Yes. One dongle locks to the control frequency. The second dongle is allowed to move.
Do remember this diagram? SDRTrunk and CC/VC
1718954592769.png

1718955191820.png