Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
What is "rolling stock?" Is that vehicles?
Yes generic USAF term for anything from jeeps to tractor trailers or tanks.
In this case most likely black Caddies and Suburbans..

AF-1 on the move SE from Columbia er I mean Cambodia this morning enroute Bali Indonesia.

Last edited:

mdmonitor

VIP Movement Summary (does not include POTUS, VPOTUS, FLOTUS travel)

DATE: 12 Nov

SAM 626 (C-37 # 18-1942) Shannon IRL-ADW
SAM 567 (C-37 # 97-0400) ADW-Austin TX
Coast Guard 101 (C-37 # 01) DCA-Teterboro NJ-DCA
SAM 453 (C-37 # 20-1949) ADW-Miami

An interesting side note: On the 12th, Marine 767 (UC-35 # 166767 VMR-4) flew from San Pedro Sula Honduras to Houston then on to ADW. Normally this liaison acft flies only CONUS routes.

Last edited:

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
I've made mention several times of my house near Wardensville, WV, being at the turn-point used by the Martinsburg C-17s when practicing their terrain avoidance. It makes for great views of the underside of big jets from the living room windows.

What I haven't found is the ATC freq used by these DECOY aircraft while entering or leaving the track. They're too low (about 500 feet AGL) to be on Washington Center, I suspect, and too far west to be on Potomac TRACON. They usually operate VFR around 3,000 feet or so and squawk 1200 when maneuvering in the vicinity of their home field, but I'd be surprised if they drop to 500 feet AGL and enter a track without talking to someone.

I haven't finished with this project yet. I want to put a spare receiver on whatever freq they're using so that I know they're coming. Suggestions are welcome.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
I've made mention several times of my house near Wardensville, WV, being at the turn-point used by the Martinsburg C-17s when practicing their terrain avoidance. It makes for great views of the underside of big jets from the living room windows.

What I haven't found is the ATC freq used by these DECOY aircraft while entering or leaving the track. They're too low (about 500 feet AGL) to be on Washington Center, I suspect, and too far west to be on Potomac TRACON. They usually operate VFR around 3,000 feet or so and squawk 1200 when maneuvering in the vicinity of their home field, but I'd be surprised if they drop to 500 feet AGL and enter a track without talking to someone.

I haven't finished with this project yet. I want to put a spare receiver on whatever freq they're using so that I know they're coming. Suggestions are welcome.
How about close call; I was surprised at how far my BCD396XT receives a/c on close call.

mdmonitor

0930- Abide 99 (E-4B # 73-1676) looks to be inbound to ADW. Departed from Wright-Pat OH.

Oops!!! Maybe not going to ADW. He's currently north of Baltimore at FL280 turning in the direction of ADW but maintaining FL280. If he is inbound to ADW it's going to be one rapid descent.

0945- He's turned west, probably heading back to Wright-Pat or Offutt. A little Sunday morning joy ride???

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber

If they are squawking 1200, that means VFR and not under ATC control. Potomac Approach is 126.825 / 239.025 in that area.

Last edited:

mdmonitor

Guys,

Just saw a bit of a very interesting (to me at lest) segment on today's CBS Sunday Morning show. It was about an USAF unit who's job is to go to old USAF crash sites and recover any human remains. These remains are sent to a DNA Forensic unit at Dover. If they can identify the remains they are given to the surviving family members.

Showed USAF team on a glacier crash site of a C-124 back in the late '50s. They were able to identify one missing crew member by just one of his teeth. There were more than 50 people on the plane and do far they have been able to recover enough remains to identify 40-something of them.

Last edited:

jsoergel

Premium Subscriber

They will almost certainly pass their entry on 255.400 - that’s the standard for any low level route.
Can you identify which one of these routes it would be?

70E7BF9D-9F25-4ED9-A5FF-BA59953C9AF0.jpeg

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone who responded re the low-level C-17 passes over our house. Here are a few answers:

Jared: I'm having difficulty reading your sectional chart overlay with any precision, but the closest of these orange tracks to our house is the one that loops south below Winchester. But that is not the flight route involved here. They fly south to near Wardensville, make a sharp turn to the east and then go back toward MRB. They don't go anywhere near Winchester on this track. We are west of Winchester. I'll put a receiver on 255.4.

AirScan: They fly this route about three times per week. I don't log their flights but I do know that DECOY 99 ran the route at 1130L last Wednesday. We almost always hear them (It's hard to miss a C-17 about 500 feet over your house!) but we don't always see them. If the pilot makes his halfway-point turn at the normal point, the aircraft's belly fills the living room windows. But sometimes he turns early and is up above the roof or on the other side of the house and we can't see him. Understandably, he's more concerned about precision in altitude, rather than where he reverses.

Maus92--They squawk 1200 and operate VFR in the vicinity of MRB. By the time they get down here toward Wardensville, I'm not sure what they're squawking. I'm just guessing that they notify ATC (somewhere) that they are entering the track. Thanks for the freqs.

RichardKramer--Creative idea using CloseCall. Might work out here where the RF pollution is low. But they probably transmit at the start and finish of the track, and we're at the middle.

I do have the sense that the six planes working out of MRB are more active than in past months. Maybe the new fiscal year brought an expanded fuel or training budget. I did notice that one of them came home to MRB early Saturday morning (yesterday) as REACH560. Maybe they found work.

jsoergel

Premium Subscriber
Jared: I'm having difficulty reading your sectional chart overlay with any precision, but the closest of these orange tracks to our house is the one that loops south below Winchester. But that is not the flight route involved here. They fly south to near Wardensville, make a sharp turn to the east and then go back toward MRB. They don't go anywhere near Winchester on this track. We are west of Winchester. I'll put a receiver on 255.4.
You could also try 126.825, 133.650, 134.150. However, once they are on the route, they don’t often make any advisory calls. It’s usually entrance and exit. If they pass over an airport, they might call on CTAF, but that’s not as common in rural areas.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Short flight time....and back to Boeing
Gusty winds out there today so maybe they changed their minds for hovering tests...

1320 RCH-566 C-17 #05-5142 inbound Norfolk Chambers from Spain 349.500 with 4 pax,16 pallets and loose cargo.

1435 E-6 BENGY-73 #164387 heading offshore broadcasting EAM 311.000 message for GF7BI3 from EQUALIZE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.