Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM82557

Any of you guys know how to get something corrected on ADSB-Exchange? I had a visual on a UH-60 this afternoon that passed directly over my house. When I looked it up on ADSB-Exchange they have it as an AC-130J --

Screenshot - 11_21_2022 , 7_09_10 PM.png

ADSB-NL has it as a UH-60 18-20989 which matches what it was showing on ADSB-Exchange, G20989 --

Screenshot - 11_21_2022 , 7_10_12 PM.png

I can verify that it is an UH-60 not a C-130.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Any of you guys know how to get something corrected on ADSB-Exchange? I had a visual on a UH-60 this afternoon that passed directly over my house. When I looked it up on ADSB-Exchange they have it as an AC-130J --
ADSB-NL has it as a UH-60 18-20989 which matches what it was showing on ADSB-Exchange, G20989 --
Was some confusion on this mode s as earlier this year both aircraft shared the same mode s AE6201.
AC-130J #18-5886 and UH-60M 18-20989. It still may be the case today but AC-130J not logged using that code since July but we rarely get AC-130J's up this way.In fact tail may be out in New Mexico now.
As for ADSBX don't know anyone who makes additions and or corrections.

Last edited:

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber

View attachment 131520

View attachment 131521

The Hex code has been reported with two different aircraft as you indicated.

C130 18-5886 usually has 185886 in the callsign block (spending more time in Florida in 11/2022)

UH60 18-20989 with G20989 or FUZZ89 in the callsign block is more local to the area

So it just depends on where you are and which aircraft is closer to you....

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

You can submit change requests on the ADSB Exchange Discord group, that is the only way I know of doing it.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
You can submit change requests on the ADSB Exchange Discord group, that is the only way I know of doing it.

Technically since both aircraft are active and using the same hex code there is nothing to change ...... I would presume that ADSBexchange would stick with the C130 since it is likely to cover more ground (airspace) versus a UH60. So if it heads to Europe for example then the C130 hex correlation would be more accurate.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Technically since both aircraft are active and using the same hex code there is nothing to change ...... I would presume that ADSBexchange would stick with the C130 since it is likely to cover more ground (airspace) versus a UH60. So if it heads to Europe for example then the C130 hex correlation would be more accurate.
Also if that mode s it is flying at 1200 feet at 90 knots most likely the UH-60M vs FL16k and 300 knots :)
Anyone recognize this AC-130J #5888 squadron logo seen in Colorado Springs in August. Mean looking dog with 3 stars.
OK tail # shows as 17th SOS Cannon AFB... Bad A**.. That dog bites.
i5tbacf0yuf91.jpg (1920×1280) (redd.it)

Last edited:

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Also if that mode s it is flying at 1200 feet at 90 knots most likely the UH-60M vs FL16k and 300 knots :)
Anyone recognize this AC-130J #5888 squadron logo seen in Colorado Springs in August. Mean looking dog with 3 stars.
OK tail # shows as 17th SOS Cannon AFB... Bad A**.. That dog bites.
i5tbacf0yuf91.jpg (1920×1280) (redd.it)

18-5888

JetWash

MDMONITOR and I have been having a conversation recently about ARTCC info and updates. I mentioned the FAA's AFF.TXT file which includes all ARTCC sites and freqs used at each. I asked him if he thought there might be interest here in a project that I've been doing for myself to calculate the distance from a fixed latitude/longitude locally to the RCAG transmit/receive site. For the local DC folks here, I chose the Washington Monument. I think calculating distance from the RCAG lat/long at least would give a heads-up to know if it's impossibly too far to hear a given RCAG freq so don't waste the memory space in the radio....MAYBE possible and therefore worth programming into the radio....or actually very likely to receive a freq that had been thought to be too far away. The FAA releases AFF.TXT on a 56-day interval, and the data I've used here is from the release for December 1, 2022.

The file is a tab-delimited text file so RR will accept it. Clicking on it should open it in Excel or another spreadsheet. If not, open Excel...click on the DATA tab on the top row then under "GET EXTERNAL DATA" click on FROM TEXT. The import process will open and should recognize the tab delimiting; if not, select tab delimiter and you should be ready to go.

I've included every RCAG for ZDC, ZOB, ZNY, ZBW, ZID, and ZTL that should include every freq within range of the local DC listeners as well as out-of-town folks like JETCRAFTER, RALEIGHGUY, WBAGLEY, etc.

I'd be interested in hearing if folks here think there is or is not any value in doing this. It takes a couple of hours using a word processor and a spreadsheet to manipulate the four different types of records that the FAA includes in the original file and massage them into what I hope is useful.

Attachments

• AFF 221201 VALUES SORT DISTANCEtab.txt
    51.5 KB · Views: 66

Tech792

Premium Subscriber

View attachment 131520

View attachment 131521

There is a few UH-60's like this based out of Lakehurst and have been coming up this way for the past year or so.

BM82557

MDMONITOR and I have been having a conversation recently about ARTCC info and updates. I mentioned the FAA's AFF.TXT file which includes all ARTCC sites and freqs used at each. I asked him if he thought there might be interest here in a project that I've been doing for myself to calculate the distance from a fixed latitude/longitude locally to the RCAG transmit/receive site. For the local DC folks here, I chose the Washington Monument. I think calculating distance from the RCAG lat/long at least would give a heads-up to know if it's impossibly too far to hear a given RCAG freq so don't waste the memory space in the radio....MAYBE possible and therefore worth programming into the radio....or actually very likely to receive a freq that had been thought to be too far away. The FAA releases AFF.TXT on a 56-day interval, and the data I've used here is from the release for December 1, 2022.

The file is a tab-delimited text file so RR will accept it. Clicking on it should open it in Excel or another spreadsheet. If not, open Excel...click on the DATA tab on the top row then under "GET EXTERNAL DATA" click on FROM TEXT. The import process will open and should recognize the tab delimiting; if not, select tab delimiter and you should be ready to go.

I've included every RCAG for ZDC, ZOB, ZNY, ZBW, ZID, and ZTL that should include every freq within range of the local DC listeners as well as out-of-town folks like JETCRAFTER, RALEIGHGUY, WBAGLEY, etc.

I'd be interested in hearing if folks here think there is or is not any value in doing this. It takes a couple of hours using a word processor and a spreadsheet to manipulate the four different types of records that the FAA includes in the original file and massage them into what I hope is useful.

Yes, it is quite useful. It looks pretty good in OpenOffice. Thanks for your work and time in providing it --

Screenshot - 11_22_2022 , 6_57_25 AM.png

mdmonitor

Guys

Just to be clear. JETWASH DID ALL THE WORK

I only provided some ideas & comments.

Works fine for me in Excel.

Last edited:

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
I'd be interested in hearing if folks here think there is or is not any value in doing this.

The list format makes for a good reference. For myself I've plotted all the RCAG sites on Google Earth and set it up so that clicking over the RCAG ICON will show the Center ID and Frequency, I've also put together sector charts showing boundaries and frequencies. One of these days I want to transcribe the sector boundaries (lat/long) onto Google Earth as well.

GE Example.jpg

UHF Example.jpg

Dtw1

The G20989 object on ADSB-x also had my attention yesterday.

It was showing at 3500 feet and 150 knots though... Google tells me this would technically be within the capabilities of both aircraft?

I almost considered driving up to Frederick to see if I could spot it as an AC-130 at 3k feet would indeed be "bad a**" lol!

Landed like a helo though.

Thanks all, this board is great.

Attachments

• 1669125968825.png
    1669125968825.png
    790.3 KB · Views: 8

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I made a Freescan file for the ATC list that @JetWash was nice enough to share. I use a BCD396XT for my Milair monitoring, hence the freescan file. Seperated into VHF-UHF groups, and excluded Atlanta Center because a system only supports 10 quick keys and ZTL is pretty much out of my range.
Bob

Attachments

• ATC.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

ra7850

Premium Subscriber

If you need any help with the raw data I might be able to help you get it in the format you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.