Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
House just got visited by a C-17. The guys from MRB are practicing terrain-skimming. Since I’m on a ridge with valleys on three sides, he was level with our windows. We’re also his turn-point, so we get a top view of the a/c. Whole thing is over in ten seconds. Sound of freedom!

He’s DECOY99, now doing pattern work at MRB at 1113L. Sharing the pattern with EPIC31, another C-17, who arrived earlier from Charlotte.

Last edited:

jsoergel

Premium Subscriber
House just got visited by a C-17. The guys from MRB are practicing terrain-skimming. Since I’m on a ridge with valleys on three sides, he was level with our windows. We’re also his turn-point, so we get a top view of the a/c. Whole thing is over in ten seconds. Sound of freedom!

He’s DECOY99, now doing pattern work at MRB at 1113L. Sharing the pattern with EPIC31, another C-17, who arrived earlier from Charlotte.

Got to get us a video of that low level route sometime!

N4TX

Premium Subscriber
DECOY99 went up to just east of Syracuse and worked with a tanker from PIT, then headed southeast and landed. Missed where. Could have been Lakehurst.

Meanwhile, EPIC31 finished pattern work at MRB and returned to home port of Charlotte. MRB is a good place to visit for pattern work, especially if you live in an ATC-intensive place like Charlotte. Less traffic, single runway, smooth controllers who are accustomed to C-17s.

Tech792

Premium Subscriber
DECOY99 went up to just east of Syracuse and worked with a tanker from PIT, then headed southeast and landed. Missed where. Could have been Lakehurst.

Meanwhile, EPIC31 finished pattern work at MRB and returned to home port of Charlotte. MRB is a good place to visit for pattern work, especially if you live in an ATC-intensive place like Charlotte. Less traffic, single runway, smooth controllers who are accustomed to C-17s.
Yes, DECOY 99 was doing practice landings/take-offs from the assault runway at Lakehurst earlier. Was on tower pri 127.775

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
MDMONITOR and I have been having a conversation recently about ARTCC info and updates. I mentioned the FAA's AFF.TXT file which includes all ARTCC sites and freqs used at each. I asked him if he thought there might be interest here in a project that I've been doing for myself to calculate the distance from a fixed latitude/longitude locally to the RCAG transmit/receive site. For the local DC folks here, I chose the Washington Monument. I think calculating distance from the RCAG lat/long at least would give a heads-up to know if it's impossibly too far to hear a given RCAG freq so don't waste the memory space in the radio....MAYBE possible and therefore worth programming into the radio....or actually very likely to receive a freq that had been thought to be too far away. The FAA releases AFF.TXT on a 56-day interval, and the data I've used here is from the release for December 1, 2022.

The file is a tab-delimited text file so RR will accept it. Clicking on it should open it in Excel or another spreadsheet. If not, open Excel...click on the DATA tab on the top row then under "GET EXTERNAL DATA" click on FROM TEXT. The import process will open and should recognize the tab delimiting; if not, select tab delimiter and you should be ready to go.

I've included every RCAG for ZDC, ZOB, ZNY, ZBW, ZID, and ZTL that should include every freq within range of the local DC listeners as well as out-of-town folks like JETCRAFTER, RALEIGHGUY, WBAGLEY, etc.

I'd be interested in hearing if folks here think there is or is not any value in doing this. It takes a couple of hours using a word processor and a spreadsheet to manipulate the four different types of records that the FAA includes in the original file and massage them into what I hope is useful.
Great Idea, thanks for all of the hard work...

Is it possible to change the center location from the Washington monument to a persons home location? and have all of the distances redone automatically?

Thanks
Joel

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber

mdmonitor

Ron

Did you mean this one 99-1933 ?

or this one 170039 ?

Terry

99-1933 which was listed as the "SC" tac version when the 193rd was flying the EC-130J.
They had four "tac versions"
96-8153 "SJ" tac version
96-8154 "SJ" tac version
97-1931 "SJ" tac version
99-1933 "SJ" tac version
Maybe they have dome some modifications to these 4 to fit in with their new MC-130Js?? I haven't seen a ail number list for the MC-130Js at Harrisburg.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Terry

99-1933 which was listed as the "SC" tac version when the 193rd was flying the EC-130J.
They had four "tac versions"
96-8153 "SJ" tac version
96-8154 "SJ" tac version
97-1931 "SJ" tac version
99-1933 "SJ" tac version
Maybe they have dome some modifications to these 4 to fit in with their new MC-130Js?? I haven't seen a ail number list for the MC-130Js at Harrisburg.

Per Live ATC - the callsign was BATON 20. Just for reference the other C130 was OTIS 15 and after its run it departed back to Cherry Point.

JetWash

Great Idea, thanks for all of the hard work...

Is it possible to change the center location from the Washington monument to a persons home location? and have all of the distances redone automatically?

Thanks
Joel
Absolutely! I just need your lat/long or -- for privacy concerns -- a "close enough" lat/long. Hopefully in degrees:minutes:seconds format since that's what the FAA uses which would be a very simple modification of my spreadsheet. Can just add another distance column for your data. Or if you want better than "close enough", e-mail or start a conversation with me with your data and e-mail address and I'd send it to you.

Same offer holds for RALEIGHGUY, JETCRAFTER, WBAGLEY, TERRYPAVLICK (in recognition of the time I spent in college and working thereafter in Philly near your Wallingford location) and other out-of-town folks. (Really hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew here. 😀 )

The pain I'm trying to keep you from having is that Excel doesn't deal directly -- or easily -- with lat/long in calculations. I searched long and hard to see how Excel's arm could be twisted to get it to work. Ended up with a very long formula using sine, cosine, and I think hair color also factors in there somewhere as well. So probably easiest for me to add a new column in what I'm already doing.

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
MDMONITOR and I have been having a conversation recently about ARTCC info and updates. I mentioned the FAA's AFF.TXT file which includes all ARTCC sites and freqs used at each. I asked him if he thought there might be interest here in a project that I've been doing for myself to calculate the distance from a fixed latitude/longitude locally to the RCAG transmit/receive site. For the local DC folks here, I chose the Washington Monument. I think calculating distance from the RCAG lat/long at least would give a heads-up to know if it's impossibly too far to hear a given RCAG freq so don't waste the memory space in the radio....MAYBE possible and therefore worth programming into the radio....or actually very likely to receive a freq that had been thought to be too far away. The FAA releases AFF.TXT on a 56-day interval, and the data I've used here is from the release for December 1, 2022.

The file is a tab-delimited text file so RR will accept it. Clicking on it should open it in Excel or another spreadsheet. If not, open Excel...click on the DATA tab on the top row then under "GET EXTERNAL DATA" click on FROM TEXT. The import process will open and should recognize the tab delimiting; if not, select tab delimiter and you should be ready to go.

I've included every RCAG for ZDC, ZOB, ZNY, ZBW, ZID, and ZTL that should include every freq within range of the local DC listeners as well as out-of-town folks like JETCRAFTER, RALEIGHGUY, WBAGLEY, etc.

I'd be interested in hearing if folks here think there is or is not any value in doing this. It takes a couple of hours using a word processor and a spreadsheet to manipulate the four different types of records that the FAA includes in the original file and massage them into what I hope is useful.
I find it very useful as is. It imports easily into an excel file. Thaks for all the long hours and hard work.

Last edited:

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Absolutely! I just need your lat/long or -- for privacy concerns -- a "close enough" lat/long. Hopefully in degrees:minutes:seconds format since that's what the FAA uses which would be a very simple modification of my spreadsheet. Can just add another distance column for your data. Or if you want better than "close enough", e-mail or start a conversation with me with your data and e-mail address and I'd send it to you.

Same offer holds for RALEIGHGUY, JETCRAFTER, WBAGLEY, TERRYPAVLICK (in recognition of the time I spent in college and working thereafter in Philly near your Wallingford location) and other out-of-town folks. (Really hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew here. 😀 )

The pain I'm trying to keep you from having is that Excel doesn't deal directly -- or easily -- with lat/long in calculations. I searched long and hard to see how Excel's arm could be twisted to get it to work. Ended up with a very long formula using sine, cosine, and I think hair color also factors in there somewhere as well. So probably easiest for me to add a new column in what I'm already doing.

Jetwash - great contribution. Thank you for the offer. I was able to download the file - and using an abacus - was able to reset the distances from my home location. Unfortunately, just as I was saving the work - the battery died out on the abacus. Glad you were able to go to college and get work in Philadelphia afterwards. Current true monitoring site is now in Villas NJ - so I will send you the details.

Just a couple of points to remember - reception depends on your elevation - how many trees or mountains are in your area etc etc. Also UHF always comes in weaker than VHF. Based on the antenna setup here, on the ADS-B side - I can sometimes hear (see on the screen) corporate aircraft above 45K near the PA / OH border. On the VHF side - I can usually follow an aircraft at the same altitude into the middle of Ohio (if 1- I don't get distracted or 2- if they talk enough).

Nice work either way.

Terry

N4TX

Premium Subscriber
DECOY99 is off again from MRB at 1720L and heading northwest. Busy day for these guys.

Then he went to PIT, did some rather interesting maneuvers over the field and then circled around to the east for another go at the field. Interesting track. Now he's landed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.