Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirScan

House just got visited by a C-17. The guys from MRB are practicing terrain-skimming. Since I’m on a ridge with valleys on three sides, he was level with our windows. We’re also his turn-point, so we get a top view of the a/c. Whole thing is over in ten seconds.

Did you happen to notice if they made any calls on 255.400 ?

Radar412

Premium Subscriber
split between Berkeley Springs, WV & Wyoming
MDMONITOR and I have been having a conversation recently about ARTCC info and updates. I mentioned the FAA's AFF.TXT file which includes all ARTCC sites and freqs used at each. I asked him if he thought there might be interest here in a project that I've been doing for myself to calculate the distance from a fixed latitude/longitude locally to the RCAG transmit/receive site. For the local DC folks here, I chose the Washington Monument. I think calculating distance from the RCAG lat/long at least would give a heads-up to know if it's impossibly too far to hear a given RCAG freq so don't waste the memory space in the radio....MAYBE possible and therefore worth programming into the radio....or actually very likely to receive a freq that had been thought to be too far away. The FAA releases AFF.TXT on a 56-day interval, and the data I've used here is from the release for December 1, 2022.

The file is a tab-delimited text file so RR will accept it. Clicking on it should open it in Excel or another spreadsheet. If not, open Excel...click on the DATA tab on the top row then under "GET EXTERNAL DATA" click on FROM TEXT. The import process will open and should recognize the tab delimiting; if not, select tab delimiter and you should be ready to go.

I've included every RCAG for ZDC, ZOB, ZNY, ZBW, ZID, and ZTL that should include every freq within range of the local DC listeners as well as out-of-town folks like JETCRAFTER, RALEIGHGUY, WBAGLEY, etc.

I'd be interested in hearing if folks here think there is or is not any value in doing this. It takes a couple of hours using a word processor and a spreadsheet to manipulate the four different types of records that the FAA includes in the original file and massage them into what I hope is useful.
This is very useful to better visualize the RCAG sites & organize them in my lists. It even opened, albeit a little small on my smartphone using a generic open office app. Thanks for the effort in producing it.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
This is scary:
CHICAGO (WLS) -- A military plane had to return to Midway International Airport after it struck a bird during takeoff Monday.
The military C-37 twin engine aircraft with U.S. government markings on the fuselage was carrying General Daniel Hokanson, the Illinois National Guard confirmed. The general was in Chicago Monday to meet with business executives about national security and to attend an ROTC event at Chicago State University in the afternoon.
Hokanson is the highest ranking officer in the National Guard and a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

N4TX

Scanning since the age of crystal scanners.
Premium Subscriber
DECOY99 is off again from MRB at 1720L and heading northwest. Busy day for these guys.

Then he went to PIT, did some rather interesting maneuvers over the field and then circled around to the east for another go at the field. Interesting track. Now he's landed.
He's off again and hooking up with a tanker at 20Kft just ENE of PIT.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Has Potus arrived yet? Unusual having CAP after dark. They are not gonna do a 24 hour CAP are they?
1920 local OK see SAM-46 enroute #09-0018
That must have been the decoy / backup? plane. VENUS7 09-0016 just landed on Nantucket.
Add 247.05 for the tanker freq.
SAM46 landing at Pease AFB Clip1board-1.jpgB

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Flight plan has them ADW-PSM. Was told that a plane has to be available within 100 miles. ACK-PSM is 115NM. ILG-ADW 78NM.
Rgr understand that and Thanks but the callsign switcheroo with VENUS training callsign and CAP still running seems
folks being extra cautious for this short vacation hop.
I don't ever recall Potus on a VENUS callsign aircraft :) See if they keep the CAP running late.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
NOBLE 01 & 02 working RTB with Boston Ctr on 290.3
NOBLES must be parked up North as heard nothing here from normal Mid Atlantic-Langley ZDC UHF freqs..
2155 local Check that last statement A/A hearing here 263.200. Must be Langley bound.
2159 NOBLES on ZDC 236.825 Snow Hill MD FL280

Another Falcon 9 rocket going up soon in a few minutes.Earlier launch of another Falcon to Space Station was scrubbed due to wx and will go up Sat afternoon. SpaceX launches an expendable Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral - YouTube
Hard to keep up with these guys :) This one going due East so won't see anything up this way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.