Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMID303

Yeah…What’s the deal with the perfect circles around Hagerstown? See other a/c types doing that, too.
It has something to do with Sierra Nevada Corp. They have a facility at Hagerstown and seem to be busy with government contracts. They outfit aircraft with cool instruments and sensors for reconnaissance. As far as I know these P-8's haven't actually been landing at Hagerstown, so I'm still a little confused at that part.

Last edited:

dmi

Premium Subscriber
MDMONITOR and I have been having a conversation recently about ARTCC info and updates. I mentioned the FAA's AFF.TXT file which includes all ARTCC sites and freqs used at each. I asked him if he thought there might be interest here in a project that I've been doing for myself to calculate the distance from a fixed latitude/longitude locally to the RCAG transmit/receive site. For the local DC folks here, I chose the Washington Monument. I think calculating distance from the RCAG lat/long at least would give a heads-up to know if it's impossibly too far to hear a given RCAG freq so don't waste the memory space in the radio....MAYBE possible and therefore worth programming into the radio....or actually very likely to receive a freq that had been thought to be too far away. The FAA releases AFF.TXT on a 56-day interval, and the data I've used here is from the release for December 1, 2022.

The file is a tab-delimited text file so RR will accept it. Clicking on it should open it in Excel or another spreadsheet. If not, open Excel...click on the DATA tab on the top row then under "GET EXTERNAL DATA" click on FROM TEXT. The import process will open and should recognize the tab delimiting; if not, select tab delimiter and you should be ready to go.

I've included every RCAG for ZDC, ZOB, ZNY, ZBW, ZID, and ZTL that should include every freq within range of the local DC listeners as well as out-of-town folks like JETCRAFTER, RALEIGHGUY, WBAGLEY, etc.

I'd be interested in hearing if folks here think there is or is not any value in doing this. It takes a couple of hours using a word processor and a spreadsheet to manipulate the four different types of records that the FAA includes in the original file and massage them into what I hope is useful.
It would also be awesome to plot these on a map and google earth. I'd do It I just don't know how..

j

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Heard NOBLE 01-02 going into Langley. Calling SOF (?) sounds like they said 02 was tail 521 and 01 was tail 68 (?).

LiveATC Audio
OK thanks for that. So they were out of Langley. Last I heard them was on 236.825. They must have descended too low for me to hear them after that from up here.

Madfox

P-8 from Patuxent NAS beginning an orbit over HGR tonight again.
View attachment 131594
Looks to be a VPU-2 machine from KNIP, AE66D5, came out of KNIP earlier in the day as WIZARD(88) & dropped into Pax then back up doing Doughnuts.
Possibly 168999 marked as 169012 but the matching isn’t conclusive so unconfirmed on Buro Number.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
This is scary:
CHICAGO (WLS) -- A military plane had to return to Midway International Airport after it struck a bird during takeoff Monday.
The military C-37 twin engine aircraft with U.S. government markings on the fuselage was carrying General Daniel Hokanson, the Illinois National Guard confirmed. The general was in Chicago Monday to meet with business executives about national security and to attend an ROTC event at Chicago State University in the afternoon.
Hokanson is the highest ranking officer in the National Guard and a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Someone caught that on video.. ouch!
Air Force C-37 Carrying National Guard Chief Forced to Land After Bird Strike | Air & Space Forces Magazine (airandspaceforces.com)

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Even though the country has gone crazy & the world is going to Hell in a hand basket we still have alot to be thankful for---family, friends & God.

Wishing you guys and yours a very Happy 7 & Tasty Thanksgiving.
Same to you Ron and the rest of the group!

Last edited:

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
0910- Looks like Banker 21 (KC-46 # 15-46067 22nd ARW McConnell AFB KS) is on his way east heading for the CAP.
For some reason, BANKR20 shut off his transponder early when en route to the CAP and never turned it on again. Still in the CAP as of now on 247.05

173750047_n.jpg

Last edited:

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
1035- Looks like a pair of Opecs (KC-10s) & a pair of Steams (KC-46) are heading out over the Atlantic.
Heard them on 139.875 out of McGuire and then 288.0 and 378.85
Fighters from AC on 298.6 talking about hooking up with them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.