Storing DCS and eliminate the tchhh sound after they key

Status
Not open for further replies.

64larry

Premium Subscriber
I have two Whistler scanners that I program, and an older Radioshack scanner. The Whistlers are the WS1080 and the TRX-1. When storing the DCS code with the received signal, there is a loud tchhh sound after the station has un keyed. It's not noticeable on any of the CTCSS signals. Any thoughts?? I've noticed this same problem also on the Radioshack PR 651.

cmdrwill

The scanner may not properly detect the DCS turn off, and therefor the "Squelch Crash".

djeplett

On the PRO-651 if you adjust the expert setting "RF SQ Fade" to a very small number like 0 or 1 you will all but eliminate the squelch tail. For some reason, and I can't remember why, I have it set to 1 and not 0. So you'll have to experiment to see which works best for you.

On the WS1080/TRX-1 there are no settings to adjust the squelch tail. I'm not sure why GRE did not incorporate these settings into their PSR-800 when they originally designed it. (The Radio Shack PRO-18 & PRO-668 as well as the Whistler WS1080,WS1088 and TRX-1 are all decendents.) Maybe there is a dedicated IC just for analog squelch detection? In the PSR-500 the analog squelch detection was handled by the DSP so it could be adjusted. (The PRO-651 is one of the many decendents of that radio.) I have never been curious enough to look into it it further. But it was one of the annoyances that I had with my TRX-1 when I had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.