Stuff You Wish You Still Had

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

N9JIG

Sheriff
I am not much of an HF guy as I am a scanner guy but I have had a few HF rigs over the years that I really miss.

The most fun and utility I got out of an HF rig was with a Panasonic RF4900 (See
for a great video on one of these). I paired this with my M7000 digital decoder and it worked great with a longwire tossed out my 3rd floor apartment window. I did a lot of RTTY, CW and other digital decoding mack in the 80's and 90's with this and it was as stable an HF rig as I ever owned.

Another one I missed for SWL'ing was my Kenwood TS440 and R5000. These were great HF receivers for both SWL and ham use and did great on SSB. I had less success with these with the M7000 however.

I had a couple different R71's over the years and they worked well. My favorite Icoms however were the IC735 and the 726. I first started working HF voice with these on 10M and did well. I have a 746Pro now but rarely mess with HF anymore. I had a friend with a 751 back then that I tried to pry away from him but had no luck.

Scan125

I never personally had a Type 19 set but when at school in the 70s and in the Radio Club we had some of these, courtesy of HM Government and the Combined Cadet Force and Radio Signals Group.

Type 19 Set

This set along with a Eddystone EC10 ?? was my introduction to radio comms, Shortwave, etc.

My treasured technical manuals which I still have are the "Handbook Of Wireless Telegraphy 1938 - Vols I & II" by the Admiralty HMSO.

These are probably one of the few detailed radio comms technical theory manuals really ever published in those days. To this date they are still absolutely relevant although working the "units" differences are challenging.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
My old girl friend Linda back in '69. I guess she looks a bit older these days though. :)

EMTJD

I miss my Sony Icf-2001 what a great portable it was.
Still have my Kenwood R5000.
Got rid of my Icom R7000 awhile back.
Tim :cool:
I never had the ICF-2001, but I still have the ICF-2010, which replaced it, though it’s in my closet. Haven’t had time to use it much.

EMTJD

Radios I wish I still had:

Lafayette HB-525F CB radio — best 23-channel mobile CB radio ever made, in my opinion. Built like a tank.
Bearcat Four-Six handheld scanner — only six channels and used crystals, but it was a fantastic radio.
Regency HX-1000 handheld scanner — my first programmable, only 30 channels and no alpha tags, but it worked great.
Regency M100 base/mobile scanner — only 10 channels, but that was back in the day when 10 was all you needed; great radio.
Panasonic RF-2200 AM/FM/SW portable receiver — at the time, the best portable SW receiver on the market. Gave it away to my ex-wife’s uncle.

commscanaus

Very nice Martin!
Missed buying an NRD-515 a few years back.
Had to use the cash to replace a hot water unit instead.
The NRD-515 is great looking and well built.

But I really wish I still had my AIWA CS-880 portable stereo/ghetto blaster/boombox.
Man that thing would smoke through a set of D cells like cigarettes when used away from the AC mains.
Sold it to fund something else and regretted it ever since.

You could drive the neighbors nuts with it! It could really crank out the tunes!

storm777

Premium Subscriber
It was probably around '71 and I was taking a basic electronics shop class in school. I also joined the Radio Club, which was run by the same instructor. One of the privileges was that we had a pass to leave study hall & go to the shop to work on projects OR access the shortwave radio that was in a side room.

It took me awhile to track it down, but I found it. It was a Regency World Traveler and believe me, I traveled the world with it! I still remember my first station, All India Radio.

This was the start of something big for me. This old radio allowed me to open doors I never knew existed. I did receive a Realistic Patrolman-6 and then a Pro-7a scanner for Christmas, but shortwave? I shoveled a lot of driveways & mowed my share of lawns to save up & buy a DX160. The rest is history.

The World Traveler, while not ever "mine" per se, still occupies a place in my heart. And the cool thing is that this thread not only helped bring back good memories but has inspired me to search for one for sale.
regency-wt-4.jpg

Last edited:

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I sold my R75 to make room for my R71A. This one had been through the Electronic Equipment Bank in Virginia.

Damn ebay! Found what appears to be a decent IC-R75 yesterday. It should arrive Thursday. :)

--
Mike

prcguy

Hmmm, what do I wish I still had. Hmmmm. Probably my Military Armament Corp M10 sub machine gun in .45. I really miss that thing but could not bring it to Kalifornia when I moved back. Other than that maybe my CPI CP400 CB radio. It was only a CB but nobody has made anything like it since.

danesgs

My Dad was a news guy at WGBS in Miami in the 60's. He brought home a Zenith Transoceanic SB-600. 6 tubes and wave magnet for AM reception and an antenna that popped up from the case about 5 feet tall. Incredible audio! I would listen to the BBC, CBC and radio havana in English, local stations including hearing my Dad's voice on the radio. That set the hook in me for listening to other things later in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.