Stuff You Wish You Still Had

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrColad

I've seen a couple of those mid size beast. You didn't need the heat on in the winter when listening to them. Some models you could tune so precisely by memory you didn't need RDS.

DeepBlue

The Icom R71 and it's VHF/UHF cousin the R7000 were cutting edge for their time. Personally I felt they performed better then their replacements the R75 and the R8500.

I still have my R-71A. It's the only radio I have ever been able to gear LW from Europe with, winter time on my RF Systtems DX-10 active antenna. I will be keeping it for a long long time. Had an SSB crystal go out about 2 years ago. Had a company in the UK make up the specific one I neded. Works great still.

Sean

MrColad

My R75 was neglected for a few months while I got to know my R8600, but now that I am up to speed (somewhat) lol I am back to my R75 and using it along with the R8600 as sort of a comparison radio when DXing. I love them both for what they do!

It was decent of Icom to rebound with the affordable SDR based wideband multi disciplined R8600 receiver after the R9500 which is almost 4 times the price of the R8600 and 4 times as anemic in intrinsic value.

Icom-IC-R8600-(3).jpg

DROOL!!!!!

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
I feel that with all the available mods the R75 is one of the most underrated and most overlooked extended range HF receivers to date.

View attachment 78250

I use my R75 daily (when I'm home). Have purchased and installed as many options that I could find for it. I prefer it over my SDRplay RSP1A, because it doesn't require me to have the computer on to use it.... I will sure miss my R75 if it every dies on me and can't get it repaired.

de Jerry N5RV

n4fo

MrColad:

Thanks MUCH for the pics and the videos; brought back a lot of wonderful memories of my Novice days in late 70s and early 80s of QSOs on 40 and 15 meters. I had constructed a 40 meter dipole and used it for both 40 and 15 meters and it worked very well. Spent many hours with that combo working CW on 40 and 15.

N4FO

Status
Not open for further replies.