Stumped - Programming Bell FleetNet Zone 1 into Uniden BC785D and BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
Hey again. Seems like I have no end of trouble with scanners. I'm an amateur, so forgive me.

I can NOT figure out how to program my two scanners with their respective Bell Fleetnet - Government Zone 1 frequencies and trunked systems. I've tried to follow Fort's "Programming your Uniden 396XT etc for Bell Fleetnet" but I just can't figure it out.

I'll tell you what I'm trying to set up, and maybe you guys can make some sense of it. I'm stumped. For reference (as it might be needed) my location is Queen street and King street in Bolton, Caledon, Ontario, Canada. This will be important to keep in mind regarding my location and towers and such.

On the Uniden BC785D, I'm trying to program in OPP central talkgroup frequencies. I have ten banks, and I've designated one bank per tower. After setting the trunk type (which I believe should be type 2 VHF), there are three towers that surround the area to my understanding, Britannia 09BRIT, King City 39KING, and Primrose 06PRIM. The BC785D lets me program in all the Bell FleetNet offsets and channels respectively as their base config 1, 2, and 3. These should be 141.01500, 151.73000, and 154.32000 respectively. After this in each bank, I select the tower's command frequencies. 09BRITs is 141.4200, 39KINGs 142.3800, and 06PRIMs is 142.7250. I insert only one talkgroup ID, the one for OPP Central Region: 1OPS40, ID 8688. I do this same setup for all three towers (because when I tried to only run one tower at a time I got nothing at all. All communications come from the OPP Communications Center, in Orillia Ontario.

I receive no transmissions from any of these setups, and I have no clue why. Also, I know the scanner is receiving properly, because I still receive Orangeville Fire on occasion when I'm in the right spot. I also know the scanner is capable of receiving this, because I foolishly cleared the scanner when it was working before, and I'm not the one who originally programmed this unit.

On the BCT15X, I'm trying to program in MOH dispatch for Caledon and Brampton. To my understanding, Mississauga dispatches EMS across Caledon, Brampton, and Mississauga using one CACC, but also has separate talkgroups for the various zones. I have performed the same setup described as above, programming in Britannia, King City, and Primrose, this time using the upper and lower frequencies given in Fort's how-to post above (which can't be done on the Uniden BC785D to my understanding). I go ahead and program in my talkgroup IDs, which are 35744 for MIS CACC, 35856 for MIS TAC 4 NE, 35872 for MIS TAC 5 NW, and 35760 for Peel N Patch. As I am north of Brampton, this would make me in the north end of Peel. This also does not receive any transmission, however I know the receiving unit works because I'm currently running Conventional Frequency 412.4625 which is basically a conventional repeater frequency for OPP in Caledon.

I am truly stumped here. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and it's really frustrating me because I thought programming scanners was pretty straight forward. Any help or input would be appreciated. I could be overlooking something foolish as I'm new to scanning and radio.

Additionally, if you're a super wizard at this stuff and would be willing to put time aside to teach me this in real time, I'd love to call someone on Skype or Discord to walk me through it.

Thanks so much for the help in advance, and sorry for the long read. :)

Last edited:

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
@EVANTYSEVEN You may actually be closer to the Ballinfad tower. Check out the map of towers here.

1601251717861.png

Your configuration should look something like this for the 785D. Are you programming with software or in the scanner? If software, can you post your programming file?

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
@EVANTYSEVEN You may actually be closer to the Ballinfad tower. Check out the map of towers here.

View attachment 92059

Your configuration should look something like this for the 785D. Are you programming with software or in the scanner? If software, can you post your programming file?

Hey Enjoi19,

Yeah, I'm like, halfway between the King City tower and Ballinfad. I'm programming directly into the scanner, as I don't have any software or cables to program. Those are exactly as my Base CONFIG 1, 2, and 3 look like. Spacing and everything. Glad to see it is supposed to be Type 2 VHF though, and that I got that part right.

I could send a small video / pictures of what I'm doing to program the config, if you'd like?

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
I just made a quick little video on YouTube for anyone viewing this thread. It might help identify what I'm doing wrong. You can view it here!

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I don't know enough about this model unfortunately - I'll have to leave that bit for someone else.

Side note... programming cable would be very easy to get. It's just a serial connection. You can get USB to serial adapters for very cheap ($20) and then get the "crossover" / null-modem cable to connect to that quite cheaply too. Saves tons of headaches.

Out of curiosity - if you manually punch in the control channel numbers to go directly to the frequency for either King City or Ballinfad, are you picking up reception on them, at the very least? Just making sure that's covered.

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
I don't know enough about this model unfortunately - I'll have to leave that bit for someone else.

Side note... programming cable would be very easy to get. It's just a serial connection. You can get USB to serial adapters for very cheap ($20) and then get the "crossover" / null-modem cable to connect to that quite cheaply too. Saves tons of headaches.

Out of curiosity - if you manually punch in the control channel numbers to go directly to the frequency for either King City or Ballinfad, are you picking up reception on them, at the very least? Just making sure that's covered.

I pick up reception, usually just static or unrelated traffic.

EVANTYSEVEN

Premium Subscriber
Any updates on this guys? I'm still stumped and can't find an answer. I could really use the help, and please check out the video I posted above.

Or you can view it here

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Make sure Status Bit is on.

Might also want to set ID Search to On as well. Not sure if the 785D handles patches ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.