Summit County 800 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Retired and playing radio whenever I want.
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Joined
Sep 22, 2002
Messages
8,325
Reaction score
5,266
Location
Ohio
Inappropriate topics of discussion

Yep. There's lots of corruption in the local governments there. Particularly in law enforcement. I'm sure that's a big reason they are choosing encryption.

Which is why they are doing it They are hiding there corruption.

Allegations of corruption in local government (especially unsubstantiated allegations), negative posts regarding encryption and implications of conspiracy are not permitted in RadioReference forums. Period.

If you have a beef with your local government, take it up with them. This is not the place for it.
 

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
950
Reaction score
27
Location
Akron, OH
It looks like Stow FD and PD have almost completely migrated off the old system. I've monitored all talkgroups and been decoding the control channel with only detected JOINs on the PD Reserve talkgroup.

Please monitor for addition Stow talkgroups. Remember, names could have changed from the old system.
 

a388sig2

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
293
Reaction score
45
It looks like Stow FD and PD have almost completely migrated off the old system. I've monitored all talkgroups and been decoding the control channel with only detected JOINs on the PD Reserve talkgroup.

Please monitor for addition Stow talkgroups. Remember, names could have changed from the old system.

Most of last week Stow PD officers were cycling in off the road to have radios reprogrammed. Have they migrated to the P25?
 

a388sig2

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
293
Reaction score
45
Sounds as if Hudson (2661), and Twinsburg (2121) also joined the system, as those talkgroups have been simulcasts of the legacy system.
 

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
950
Reaction score
27
Location
Akron, OH
Thanks for the info.

Remember that the presence of an agency on the P25 system just means a subset of radios have been programmed and are monitoring/using the P25 system.

Until the agency is exclusively heard on P25 (like Stow), the agency is assumed to be primary on the non-P25 system. It creates confusion from users of the radios that download from RRDB (HPs, Whistler, etc) when only partial traffic is heard, or they have a duplicate and don't know which one is the right one.

We should start seeing agencies drop off the non-P25 system pretty quick here.
 

a388sig2

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
293
Reaction score
45
Thanks for the info.

Remember that the presence of an agency on the P25 system just means a subset of radios have been programmed and are monitoring/using the P25 system.

Until the agency is exclusively heard on P25 (like Stow), the agency is assumed to be primary on the non-P25 system. It creates confusion from users of the radios that download from RRDB (HPs, Whistler, etc) when only partial traffic is heard, or they have a duplicate and don't know which one is the right one.

We should start seeing agencies drop off the non-P25 system pretty quick here.

In all fairness, Solon and Hudson still broadcast in analog, but we've updated them to their respective trunked systems. I get your point, but does it kill someone if the DB lands them on a new P25 talk group versus an 800?
 

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
950
Reaction score
27
Location
Akron, OH
I see your point as well. There are a lot of occurrences of agencies using multiple systems. In the Summit P25 case, we know how things are set up.

We know that talkgroups pop up on the P25 system (and simulcast traffic from non-P25) when someone is listening to the P25 talkgroup. If the agency hasn't "moved" to P25, the traffic on the P25 is referencing the non-P25 system's names for the talkgroups.

Take Tallmadge for example. Before the cutover to P25, they used "go to command". That talkgroup on P25 is Fire 4. Had this talkgroup before the known migration to P25, it would have been added as "fire command".

Sure. I know what you are all thinking. That's why we can submit changes to RRDB and get them correct. On the flip side, the admins hear all the time that info in the DB is incorrect. Why? Because no one submitted the correction.

I am just trying to ensure that we get the P25 system's info as accurate as possible in the beginning.
 

a388sig2

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
293
Reaction score
45
That makes complete sense. So is the best place to share talkgroup findings right here in the forum until departments make the full time switch?
 

Swipesy

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2003
Messages
2,176
Reaction score
443
Location
Northern Ohio
Are not the Summit P-25 TalkGroups the same as the Summit 800 system with the TalkGroup number on the P25 the result of dividing the 800 system TG # by 16?
 

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
950
Reaction score
27
Location
Akron, OH
The numbers are the per your formula. Some agencies have chosen to reassign their use. For example, Tallmadge has abandoned the use of named talkgroups (fire command, fireground x) in favor of sequential numbering.

Again, that's why simply migrating the talkgroups could be problematic. And the lack of consistent traffic on the P25 prior to full migration by an agency can lead to confusion about why a RRDB users can't always hear traffic.
 

northernsummit

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
289
Reaction score
35
Location
Macedonia, Ohio
system freqs on 800 system new?

Did the voice channels on the 800 system get re-arranged recently?

My old documentation shows the 862mhz are new to me. The 858mhz channels I used to have documented are not in the sheet anymore. Something changed didn't it? :)
 

fpo701

OH DB Admin
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
950
Reaction score
27
Location
Akron, OH
I started adding some of agencies that seem to be consistent traffic on the system.

It has become increasingly difficult to determine when an agency has completely cut over. It is the reverse of the original challenge of random traffic. We now has cases where an agency has cut over, but one random radio exists still monitoring the old system.

I suppose the thing to watch for is consistent traffic. For example, there are submissions for Hudson out there. I haven't logged any traffic on the control channel for them today until a few minutes ago. That's likely an indication of only a few radios programmed.

Everything that has been added today seems to still be using old names. So far, Tallmadge is the only one to appear to have changed naming conventions. Please keep submitting corrections if you notice something is off.
 

KWs

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
677
Reaction score
47
Location
Kent , Ohio
Listeners should note, the talk group for Akron Fire “Command” is now an encrypted Talkgroup, as noted in the database.
 

samdog21

Newbie
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 20, 2015
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Norton,ohio
I'm having same problem here in barberto. I have a home patrol with a diamSrh789 antenna and my reception sucks . I barelly catch anything and I'm in barberton .yet if I listen to Akron everything comes in clear.
 

Nasby

Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
2,809
Reaction score
548
Location
Ohio
I'm having same problem here in barberto. I have a home patrol with a diamSrh789 antenna and my reception sucks . I barelly catch anything and I'm in barberton .yet if I listen to Akron everything comes in clear.

You are experiencing Simulcast Distortion.

Do a search on "simulcast distortion" or "LSM" in the search window at the upper right and you will see why you are having trouble receiving the Summit P25 System.
 

KWs

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
677
Reaction score
47
Location
Kent , Ohio
Appears Richfield has migrated to the P25 system...
Richfield Fire Dispatch tg 2503
Richfield Police Dispatch tg 2489

I will submit to database .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top