Sumner County Public Safety (TN) - UHF P25 Phase II Trunking System

jpryor

The Sumner County Public Safety - UHF P25 Phase II Trunking System is now live as of this past weekend:

System ID: 00A
WACN: 92937
RFSS: 010
Site: 010

Freqs: 453.3125-control, 453.3625-alternate, 460.125, 460.3125, 460.4375

Some limited TMDA Phase II testing noted with Radio IDs 998xxxx on Talk Groups 64xxx.

Previous thread: Summer Co TN

Does seem like Gallatin or others could move some frequencies here to jump on board as well.

motohead10

Premium Subscriber
System is not scheduled to go live until several months from now. Your're hearing the radio shop testing with their radios on 64013. There is only one site up at this time

ToTheBitCave

Phreakness Monster
Premium Subscriber
Any word which departments will be encrypted? I'm narrowly in my return window for an SDS200 and already am having dropped P25 issues on TACN with full reception.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Any update on this system. I came across an old thread in the Kenwood Forums and thought I would check in on the county, I see that it's starting to move to P25.

jpryor

There has been more testing activity in the past month. A combination of clear and secure channels noted. My reception of the control channel and voice activity is not all that ideal.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
There has been more testing activity in the past month. A combination of clear and secure channels noted. My reception of the control channel and voice activity is not all that ideal.
We just implemented a Harris P25 system up here in Scott County, KY. Our radio techs use RID's of 998xxxxx. I guess its similar in Sumner County.

jpryor

A common practice I've seen with new P25 systems in general over the years including Motorola provided systems, those 999x, 998x ranges for RIDs and TGs.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
And sometimes single digit TG's for testing on Moto P25's. Like you may see TG's 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 in use for testing with those 998x/xx, and 999x/xx UID/RID's. Then when actual users start on the TG ID's jump up to at least double digits. Though more recently the first 4 single digit TG's have been more reserved for OTAP, OTAR, Regroup etc.

ToTheBitCave

Phreakness Monster
Premium Subscriber
Looks like most of the channels for Scott County are encrypted... awesome... Hopefully the same will not be true for Sumner... For me, I think if the dispatch channel is clear and the ops/tacticals are encrypted, bad guys would assume they could hear burglary dispatches over the unencrypted channels and get surprised when this is passed over the encrypted ones or through a phone call. If everything is encrypted, they'll just use lookouts. It's nice to hear BOLOs when out and about as an extra set of eyes never hurt...

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Looks like most of the channels for Scott County are encrypted... awesome... Hopefully the same will not be true for Sumner... For me, I think if the dispatch channel is clear and the ops/tacticals are encrypted, bad guys would assume they could hear burglary dispatches over the unencrypted channels and get surprised when this is passed over the encrypted ones or through a phone call. If everything is encrypted, they'll just use lookouts. It's nice to hear BOLOs when out and about as an extra set of eyes never hurt...
Yeah, mapping the channels for our system was quite a challenge but I have done my best and still in the process of mapping. I hope Sumner didn't accept the bid and contract from the same company our City/County did, they tried pushing everyone to encryption and our fire chiefs weren't having it.

motohead10

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, mapping the channels for our system was quite a challenge but I have done my best and still in the process of mapping. I hope Sumner didn't accept the bid and contract from the same company our City/County did, they tried pushing everyone to encryption and our fire chiefs weren't having it.

I believe the vendor for Sumner is Commtech out of Nashville but I could be wrong, then again, i'm pretty sure it's them as I have seen their vehicles around here.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Last I heard, all primary dispatch will be clear for Sumner. Tacticals for LEA will be E. I had no word on EMS to ER encodes. All fire was to be clear. Unclear on if they will do full time patches or issi to the TACN and MTNRTRS or on demand ones for interop.

jpryor

County EMS looking to be first up to go live. Talk group 1085. Patch up with 462.9875 as well. About 100 radios active in the 151xxxx and 152xxxx radios on that talk group. Some activity from new radios, most activity still from the UHF side. That talk group is P25 Phase II TDMA in the clear. Some other talk groups in the 108x range also likely EMS.

ToTheBitCave

Phreakness Monster
Premium Subscriber
I'm starting to hear digital noise on 460.300. I haven't heard any analog traffic for a couple of hours. I've driven through Portland and Gallatin so I'm not sure if it's some kind of adjacent system. It sounds like P25 based on the preamble and ending sounds, but I could be wrong of course. Has anyone else noticed this?

motohead10

Premium Subscriber
I'm starting to hear digital noise on 460.300. I haven't heard any analog traffic for a couple of hours. I've driven through Portland and Gallatin so I'm not sure if it's some kind of adjacent system. It sounds like P25 based on the preamble and ending sounds, but I could be wrong of course. Has anyone else noticed this?
Im listening to SO on my APX now and its up and going like normal. Perhaps you possibly could have been picking up hickman but theyre DMR or KY state police P25 Conventional. I can't think of anyone else on that frequency that is P25 conventional though

ToTheBitCave

Phreakness Monster
Premium Subscriber
Im listening to SO on my APX now and its up and going like normal. Perhaps you possibly could have been picking up hickman but theyre DMR or KY state police P25 Conventional. I can't think of anyone else on that frequency that is P25 conventional though
Thanks for looking into this. I’m starting to think my Yaesu VX-7R needs some attention. When this type of stuff happens, tuning off the frequency and then back on fixes it till it happens again. My SDS-200 never hears what the Yaesu is hearing soooo :/

jpryor

Could also be near channel, as 460.3125 is part of the UHF system.

Seeing a smaller PD active now as well, talk group 2008 with radio ids in the 70xxxxx range, maybe Portland based on an address mentioned. Best for a local to listen and confirm.