Tablet requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
I've decided to get a tablet, and one of the things I wants it for is ACARS.
Any special requirements? Line in/sound card?
I understand Android systems have an app for this.

photoguy2

I've decided to get a tablet, and one of the things I wants it for is ACARS.
Any special requirements? Line in/sound card?
I understand Android systems have an app for this.

You might also consider a windows 8 tablet. That way you can just run windows apps. And use any usb sound card you want.

Matt

screenersam

I hate motrbro
is 'usb sound card' same as a 'dongle'? I has one of those.

is there a Windows acars 'app' or just the dsd program? I have that now and can't get it to work.

thx for info, gives me something to work from. Probly buy after next paycheck.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Can't answer your question, but I will suggest you look at the new product launches that came out of last month's international electronic show in Spain. I was reading about the 12.2" Samsung tablet, and the new Lenovo tablet (saw video on BBC's Click TV show) looks quite interesting. And there were more. The Android OS has been pushed up a notch too. All the launches are expected in the next few months, if not shipping now.

The first round of tablets with accessory keyboards were generally considered to be top-heavy, tipping over; I opted to pass.

Some of the current (and new?) Windows tablets may be running Windows RT, and it's not necessarily obvious in the specs. I understand "normal" Windows software cannot run in RT. Compounding the confusion is that Windows 9 is scheduled for circa April 2015; Windows 8 isn't selling well to the corporate market. I believe I read (on WSJD?) the Windows OS takes a lot of memory to run leaving relatively little for supplemental software when installed on entry-level versions of the newly-shown tablets.

I realize that tech bought at retail is out of date before the assembly piece is packaged to ship out the door, but sometimes I like to be slightly ahead of the curve instead of years behind.

That said, I read the business tech news and reviews but I am now sitting on the fence trying to decide how and when to move.

Your needs and wants are different than mine. This is just food for thought. HTH.

photoguy2

Yes, that is the same.

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Some of the current (and new?) Windows tablets may be running Windows RT, and it's not necessarily obvious in the specs. I understand "normal" Windows software cannot run in RT. Compounding the confusion is that Windows 9 is scheduled for circa April 2015; Windows 8 isn't selling well to the corporate market. I believe I read (on WSJD?) the Windows OS takes a lot of memory to run leaving relatively little for supplemental software when installed on entry-level versions of the newly-shown tablets.

I realize that tech bought at retail is out of date before the assembly piece is packaged to ship out the door, but sometimes I like to be slightly ahead of the curve instead of years behind.

Very true. They are not good about labeling RT vs full windows.

Normally, I will completely agree with you. Being behind is not fun. I understand this, I am in IT, I do tech support and run a server farm. I had never given the windows tablets any thought, I considered them IPad wannabees. However, one of my clients had a Surface Pro, and showed it to me. How impressed was I? Well, now that the Pro 2 come out, and the Price of the Pro 1 dropped by $400, I have one on the way from Amazon as we speak.

Will it replace my 12 core, 64GB of RAM, 1 TB of SSD, 8TB of disk Workstation? Will it replace my Ellitebook? Will it replace my Toughbook? Absolutely not. It does not come close. But how often do I use all 12 cores? Not often. The point for me is that it can be used for IPad type stuff. I can type stuff, use the internet, watch Youtube etc. But then, if I want too, I have the ability to run windows software on it, I can run my HAM Satellite tracking, full on APRS, or, in the scope of this thread, ACARS software. And, I can use any piece of hardware I want. (That's usb, including a SDR ;-)). And then I can dual boot Linux, which opens up another whole world of software.

I think the key is to look at these tablets as tablets that can do a whole lot more, as opposed to laptops in tablet form.

Just my $0.02

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.