Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I listen on the state’s P25 system on the site: Branson for Taney County,
which includes the Taney CO Sheriff, Hollister Police, and Missouri Highway
Patrol Troop B.

I am located near Big Cedar Lodge (near Table Rock Lake) in SW Taney CO

I have a SDS100 and 200, and have tried (just about every antenna imaginable,)
and it is so frustrating, as the reception is very weak / unstable...

Has anyone (in my area) experienced this, and could you find me any advice?

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
Do you have both the VHF high band and the 700 MHz frequencies programmed? Just trying to help, haven't been to the area in a while but will be there in the spring.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
Yes, but I find that all of the traffic is on the Branson site.

The 700 MHz site is not reachable at all...and I have tried...

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
Yes, but I find that all of the traffic is on the Branson site.

The 700 MHz site is not reachable at all...and I have tried...
Sorry to hear that, wish I was coming up there sooner. I know the hills around there are a big problem too.

boy7777777777

I have a 436hp and visit Branson quite often. I have never had any problems picking up the Branson tower. I can even get a good signal even when I’m in some of the big valleys around that area also. I use an antenna from smiley antenna. I have never got a signal from the Hollister site. Tomorrow I will go out to the remote site where I have my other scanners located and put in Branson tower and see if I can still receive it.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have a SDS100 and 200, and have tried (just about every antenna imaginable,)
and it is so frustrating, as the reception is very weak / unstable...

Has anyone (in my area) experienced this, and could you find me any advice?

When you say you have tried about every antenna imaginable, does this include outdoor antennas?
If not, that's probably what you will need being in the SW corner of the county.
The hills around you really knock the signal levels down from the VHF Moswin sites.

How is your elevation compared to the surrounding environment close to your home? Things like trees or tall hills between you and the VHF Branson site?

The Ozarks always were a problem for the state. Those hills are what allowed the state to obtain such high power limits for their low band licenses back in the day. They basically brute forced the low band signals through the hills using high power levels.

You may need a VHF yagi aimed at the Branson site and possibly a good quality low noise preamp. I'd try and make it work without a preamp though as preamp's can ruin a digital signal, especially a weak signal.
The good thing is the VHF Moswin sites are not simulcast so that's one problem you don't need to mess with.

On the SDS models, the Invert filter choices both reduce the available signal level. The Normal filters don't reduce it as much but still attenuate the signal a small amount.
Have you tried the site with the Filter setting set to Off? That may be worth a try if you are in a rural area without any other high power transmitters near you.

I also had issues with the Weldon Spring site here before. I found that forcing the radio to use FM mode instead of the default NFM mode really helped with the reception of that site for me. Once I put up decent VHF antennas on the roof, I was able to go back to NFM mode.

boy7777777777

I just tried receiving the Branson site on my remote site with an outdoor antenna and I can receive it just fine. It is located 63 miles from the Branson site. I am not using anything special for my scanner setup other than having my antenna on the highest mtn around and on a 30ft tower. I’m using a Whistler Trx-1.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I think the issue may be where I am in the county.

As stated, I am near Big Cedar Lodge on Table Rock Lake
in SW Taney CO

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I just tried receiving the Branson site on my remote site with an outdoor antenna and I can receive it just fine. It is located 63 miles from the Branson site. I am not using anything special for my scanner setup other than having my antenna on the highest mtn around and on a 30ft tower. I’m using a Whistler Trx-1.

63 Miles away from the Branson site.. This is profoundly difficult for me to envision.

Do you, or does anyone know, specifically where the Branson transmitter site is actually located
in Taney County, and, its maximum watts?

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
Looks like Shepard of the Hills Expressway and Missouri state Route 248.
Possibly on an AT&T tower.
If I got the Lat. Lon. Correct.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Someone above stated they had good reception at over 60+ miles away.

I assume this is probable, but the FCC states, maximum is 25 miles

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Where did you come up with that?

My guess would be from the RR database since it shows the "range" as 25 miles on the site he posted....which of course doesn't come from the FCC.

talkpair

The license shows the antenna has a 180 degree beamwidth with an azimuth of 30 degrees (North-North-East).

The Lawson site near me also has a 180 degree beamwidth, but seems to have good coverage on the back side.

It would be interesting to know why the Hollister-700 site was added.....considering the towns of Branson and Hollister are only a couple miles apart.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
My guess would be from the RR database since it shows the "range" as 25 miles on the site he posted....which of course doesn't come from the FCC.

Yes, that is where I received it. But if you state that you indeed received good reception at 65 miles away,
I believe you

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Yes, that is where I received it. But if you state that you indeed received good reception at 65 miles away,
I believe you

I never said I received it form 65 miles or at all. I'm about 600 miles from there so it must have been someone else.

boy7777777777

I just thought of something. If your using rubber duct style antennas for the scanner you might try different power supplies. I ran into that problem one time before I got a external antenna for the tower. Some power supplies produce horrible interference and sometimes will almost completely cut out a digital signal. Especially DMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.