• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TCA PRC-152a forums, user groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
There is a pretty active Facebook group for these. Search TRI/TCA PRC-152 and it will come up.

Agreed with the above though.. inside it is basically a baofeng. Audio is crappy, but then again so is the audio on a real 152 without a headset. They are however more user-friendly than the real deal.

I'll have to disagree about basically being a baofeng. I've owned a uv-5R and this radio is not even close. Audio is as good as any Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom I have owned. FPP programming is easy once you learn the button sequence.

I also have several brands of CCR's for DMR and their audio is crappy at best, on analog and digital. I wear hearing aids so good audio is much easier to listen to both with and without HA's.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
It was not long ago, about 6yrs when I toted a real Thales MBITR around at the Dayton Hamvention displaying and using it on the front of my little shopping cart I push around the show. Dayton is the Mecca of radio and there were probably 25,000 radio guys and girls at the show and a good number of them looked at my radio. Over three days of shopping and parading around with the radio in plain sight of hard core radio people, exactly two stopped and knew what it was. That's two out of maybe 25,000. I can spot these radios at quite a distance and if I saw another one I would make a bee line to it with a hundred questions like where did you get it, how much was it, are there any more available, how are you programming it, where are you getting batteries, what accys do you have, how much were they, etc.

I think that people who notice such items were likely commo people at some time in the past. My commo history was strictly HF so I was one of those weirdos carrying an HF mil backpack radio for a few years at Dayton. I also carried a Thales P25 but no one took any notice. MBITR was before my time but I do tend to notice those or any green radios more now.

The 148 series people wear now are similar in size to the older amateur bricks we used back in the day, probably the reason they don't attract much attention. The knockoffs remind me of the Motorola Sabers, can be used as a club if necessary :)

prcguy

Nick, we have met many times, I have seen some of your radios and we have also talked on the radio in the past. Otherwise I'll stay anonymous here.

I think that people who notice such items were likely commo people at some time in the past. My commo history was strictly HF so I was one of those weirdos carrying an HF mil backpack radio for a few years at Dayton. I also carried a Thales P25 but no one took any notice. MBITR was before my time but I do tend to notice those or any green radios more now.

The 148 series people wear now are similar in size to the older amateur bricks we used back in the day, probably the reason they don't attract much attention. The knockoffs remind me of the Motorola Sabers, can be used as a club if necessary :)

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I'll have to disagree about basically being a baofeng. I've owned a uv-5R and this radio is not even close. Audio is as good as any Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom I have owned. FPP programming is easy once you learn the button sequence.

I also have several brands of CCR's for DMR and their audio is crappy at best, on analog and digital. I wear hearing aids so good audio is much easier to listen to both with and without HA's.

I'm glad your experience was good. I've bought both the TRI and TCA versions just for grins and giggles and I have never been happy with the performance, but I am a commercial radio guy and I don't own or mess with any hammie gear so my baseline is Motorola, Harris, and Thales public safety and military radios.

As I stated above though, even the real 148 and 152 are made to be used with a headset and IMO the speaker audio from a real 152 doesn't even compare to say an APX or XL-200. Combine that with the huge size and I just don't see many practical uses.

FWIW for those that want to dress up and larp, live ammo or not, I fully support that. If you want to use a Chinese knockoff radio, hey, you do you. I just don't understand the people running around with their Gucci AR's and Gucci kit and what equates to a $20 radio. Reliable, smaller, proven radios with P25 and AES can be had much cheaper.

Apparently to some people, looking cool is what matters most.

paulears

I find it quite amusing that hams, who worldwide are well known for being slightly eccentric find the notion off looking cool strange - People driving around in vehicles packed with gear and looking like porcupines, and having homes surrounded by towers and wires dangling everywhere finding another group who like to dress up in authentic military gear and improving tactic and team working odd? We're supposed to be accepting of any group. We might find model railway enthusiast peculiar, or those people who like to climb tall buildings with no safety gear.

On the repeater front - a very popular small repeater here was the HYT TR-50, old now but been around a long time and they even come up on ebay for sensible money. There's another portable repeater being sold in a heavy duty field case, and of course the 19" rack mount Chinese repeaters which have a pretty decent reputation for reliability. Icom and Kenwood have repeater housings for their low end VHF and UHF mobiles - Not every repeater is a Motorola!

rescuecomm

Every radio in my vehicles are APX.....as is all my portables....people who want quality pay for quality...
Nice to have a credit card that has no limit. Or perhaps your gear is agency supplied? Nothing wrong with big M's radios if someone else is paying for them. Same with the "real" 148 and 152 radios, no working "joe" is going to spring for that kind of money for hobby or any other kind of use. The APX 8000's used by EMS and Sheriff's office were partially funded by a Federal grant.

I had considered the purchase of one of the new aluminum case TRI radios for these reasons:

1. Battery packs 5000ma and more available
2. Alkaline battery case available that can power the radio above 1 watt.
3. Dual band radio at an affordable price.
4. Reasonable level of weather resistance

For me, affordable is less than $400

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad your experience was good.

FWIW for those that want to dress up and larp, live ammo or not, I fully support that. If you want to use a Chinese knockoff radio, hey, you do you. I just don't understand the people running around with their Gucci AR's and Gucci kit and what equates to a $20 radio. Reliable, smaller, proven radios with P25 and AES can be had much cheaper.

Apparently to some people, looking cool is what matters most.

I've had my experiences with Motorola, have a 7550e and 6550 at the moment, both good radios but having the ability to program them is a huge obstacle for many. I remember badly wanting the HT200 and HT220 in the 70's, all the really cool hams had one. I ended up with a Standard C146A since the M's were not affordable.

I don't have a Gucci AR or kit either, just a fully functional unit. Not into milsim, airsoft, dressup, etc. Been there for real and no need to do it again as not-for-real.

Again, owning a knockoff is not for any perceived cool factor either. Curiosity is likely the big reason for obtaining a knockoff and the challenge of learning to own/use one for amateur use. My collection of Asian radios began with a TYT MD380 and has continued. Some are OK, some not so much but was educational to master.

paulears

Nick's quite entitled to his opinion, and being ex-forces has an understandable viewpoint on mildim, airlift and dressup - but these are perfectly valid hobbies, and ham radio itself is a hobby. It's just a little sad that apparently some fashions and trends are deemed acceptable - like the 200 series bricks from the 70s, yet exactly the same demand for certain interesting looking radios now is unacceptable.

I see here rag tag random people is mismatched ex-army camp doing paintball, then you see teams of airsoft people in identical and authentic camo with real dedication. I guess it's a proper team sport. Their radio needs are specific, and don't require networking and battleground command and control - just team level comms that work properly.

I personally find the word 'knockoff' indicative of a poor quality counterfeit product that is sold to people as the original brand. I have trouble with it being used to describe a product that is very expensive, and a serious expense for a hobbiest. Knockoff also suggests a poorly performing item, and again, they work very well and are as tough as the design they're based on. If TCI or another firm took another military radio - a mobile variant perhaps, and did the same thing, people would buy them. The vehicle collectors for example. Here in the UK, we have lots of Land Rover military vehicles restored and there's a shortage of more contemporary radio kit. Clansman radio are around, but nothing newer - and people restoring later vehicles have no products to buy. A 'knockoff' radio from the 80s would sell quite well and anything newer than that would be quite sought after in these circles.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Nick's quite entitled to his opinion, and being ex-forces has an understandable viewpoint on mildim, airlift and dressup - but these are perfectly valid hobbies, and ham radio itself is a hobby.

I personally find the word 'knockoff' indicative of a poor quality counterfeit product that is sold to people as the original brand.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those who have these hobbies, my brother is a huge airsoft participant, I just don't do that. It is a hobby for many. Collecting and using radios are my hobby.

Sorry about using the word "knockoff", I don't have another description handy for these radios. Quality? These radios have much more quality built in than some of the recent DMR radios from China. I liked my PRC152 so well I ordered a TCA PRC148 yesterday. Next hamfest I'll likely be selling most of my CCR collection.

prcguy

The last two Dayton hamfests before covid had several mil radio guys running around with fake PRC-152s and MBITS, they are getting popular with the mil radio crowd for some reason. A friend of mine who probably has the finest collection of modern mil radios in the country bought a PRC-152 and MBITR fake and he also has the real thing. Or I should add he has several each of the real thing. I don't know why he bought the fakes but it might be fun to have one and when somebody points out its a fake you can reach in your pack and bring out a real one saying this one is not!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those who have these hobbies, my brother is a huge airsoft participant, I just don't do that. It is a hobby for many. Collecting and using radios are my hobby.

Sorry about using the word "knockoff", I don't have another description handy for these radios. Quality? These radios have much more quality built in than some of the recent DMR radios from China. I liked my PRC152 so well I ordered a TCA PRC148 yesterday. Next hamfest I'll likely be selling most of my CCR collection.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
My comments were not directed at anyone here specifically, anyone is free to do what they want, I just get frustrated when I see people with a $3000 AR and $4000 worth of kit and a Baofeng with a "tactical" folding antenna from china that i'm sure has a whole lot of engineering put into it.

The term knockoff is appropriate though.. they are counterfeit Harris products and I am sure Harris is not pleased about them.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
My comments were not directed at anyone here specifically, anyone is free to do what they want, I just get frustrated when I see people with a $3000 AR and $4000 worth of kit and a Baofeng with a "tactical" folding antenna from china that i'm sure has a whole lot of engineering put into it.

The term knockoff is appropriate though.. they are counterfeit Harris products and I am sure Harris is not pleased about them.

$7000 in gear and a $20 Chinese radio - it frustrates me as well. I've been working on spreading knowledge of quality radios to that crowd. TK-290s on MURS have been well-received.

More than the radios, the knockoff antennas irritate me. Genuine Thales and Harris MBITR antennas perform light-years better than OEM rubber duckies on low band HTs, but the knockoff antennas often get intermingled with the real thing. I want a 30-88 MHz Thales 1600629, not a Chinese knockoff optimized for VHF/UHF.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I just get frustrated when I see people with a $3000 AR and $4000 worth of kit and a Baofeng with a "tactical" folding antenna from china that i'm sure has a whole lot of engineering put into it.

I see a lot of Chinese variations on the Harris and Thales antennas and agree, probably not much engineering content. Also sad that the Baofeng users likely don't know the difference either.

However, I can state that the folding antenna that came with this 152 has surprised me with the range of repeaters I'm hearing. Bottom loading coil (I assume) and about a 10" blade.

I doubt this market affects Harris or Thales in any manner as their customer base will not accept these radios as substitutes while most of the knockoff customer base can't afford the real thing anyway.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine who probably has the finest collection of modern mil radios in the country bought a PRC-152 and MBITR fake and he also has the real thing. Or I should add he has several each of the real thing. I don't know why he bought the fakes but it might be fun to have one and when somebody points out its a fake you can reach in your pack and bring out a real one saying this one is not!

Assuming one can get the civilian version of the 148 or 152, what features do they have that the normal amateur doesn't get on Kenwood, Icom or Yaesu. Even if it were a battlefield pickup radio many of the DOD features can't be accessed without supporting systems?

Maybe it's just me but the "coolness" factor of owning a "real" Harris or Thales is severely limited considering the $ investment and lack of DOD features. Anyone that knows me and sees the 152 will instantly know that it is a knockoff, even if I'm sporting the Czech RF-10 on my back :)

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I know its not hurting Harris, but its still a trademark/intellectual property issue.

I have a real one sitting on the desk in front of me (Suite B Version without CCI) and it is a very capable radio that is capable of 30-512 continuous, AM/FM, various waveforms including P25, DES/AES, Satcom, Sincgars, etc. It is not very user friendly though. You can only access 5 presets from the knob on top before you have to go digging through with the keypad. Only scans 10 channels at a time. Firmware has a few bugs that have yet to be ironed out.

I have also used the Thales version (PRC-6809) which i do not recommend. No splinter frequencies, no DPL, and wide open front end in UHF AM although a plus for it is that it is keyloaded in the same software package as the programming.

Supposedly Falco is coming out with another knockoff 152A that has some cool features. Time will tell if it performs or if its junk like the rest of the CCR's.

prcguy

The Thales PRC-6809 MBITR does all the splinter freqs I've ever entered just fine. Its also 30-512MHz continuous AM/FM/Narrow FM and LPC10 digital voice with DES or AES encryption. I believe the scan list can be at least 16 channels. I had eight of the MBITR series over the years and a couple of the Harris versions made by Thales before Harris designed the PRC-152 series. This was part of my brood at one time.

1624912218118.png

Here are a couple of radios I traded to a good friend, neither are TCA or TRI copies.

1624912781224.png

I know its not hurting Harris, but its still a trademark/intellectual property issue.

I have a real one sitting on the desk in front of me (Suite B Version without CCI) and it is a very capable radio that is capable of 30-512 continuous, AM/FM, various waveforms including P25, DES/AES, Satcom, Sincgars, etc. It is not very user friendly though. You can only access 5 presets from the knob on top before you have to go digging through with the keypad. Only scans 10 channels at a time. Firmware has a few bugs that have yet to be ironed out.

I have also used the Thales version (PRC-6809) which i do not recommend. No splinter frequencies, no DPL, and wide open front end in UHF AM although a plus for it is that it is keyloaded in the same software package as the programming.

Supposedly Falco is coming out with another knockoff 152A that has some cool features. Time will tell if it performs or if its junk like the rest of the CCR's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.