SDS100/SDS200: TDMA means I need DMR capable radio?

kg7el

Premium Subscriber
Just got SDS200 and wonder if the talk groups on RR that are labeled as MODE TDMA, means I just get the DMR option for my radio?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Just got SDS200 and wonder if the talk groups on RR that are labeled as MODE TDMA, means I just get the DMR option for my radio?
If the system is P25 Phase 2, NO! If the system is DMR, YES! P25 and DMR are 2 different digital formats. Please let us know your city, county, and state, and if there is a particular system you want to monitor. We can look it up and let you know.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums @kg7el. Please reply back with the database link(s) to the system(s) in question. Specific info is quite helpful when requesting assistance here. If DMR is indeed needed then you can purchase it as a paid upgrade for your SDS200. $60.00 if bought direct from Uniden. Third party retailers inflate the paid upgrade prices a bit

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So being that you live in Mesa, Arizona, you're probably going to want to listen to Maricopa County Sheriff's Office which is indeed a tdma phase II system your radio is capable of listening to.

Check the radio reference database for the system and talk groups. It appears as dispatch channels are in the clear but if you see TE in the mode column for TAC or other law enforcement talk groups, there is no way you will be able to listen to encrypted Communications.

There is some DMR business systems, arenas, attractions Etc in the Mesa area and yes if you wanted to hear them you would have to purchase the upgrade key from Uniden.

kg7el

Premium Subscriber
So yes, I'm in Mesa, AZ which is Maricopa County. These are in a P25 Trunk, and while most listings show as D and are picked up fine, some are labeled T (TDMA). For Example:

The Regional Wireless Cooperative (RWC) Unique DB ID: 15980
has Chandler listing of TGID: 2483 as Mode T.

We also have a bunch of Ham Repeaters in the area that are DMR, will the SDS200 pick those up with the upgrade.

Thanks for all the help. I tried to review past postings and couldn't find an answer.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
So yes, I'm in Mesa, AZ which is Maricopa County. These are in a P25 Trunk, and while most listings show as D and are picked up fine, some are labeled T (TDMA). For Example:

We also have a bunch of Ham Repeaters in the area that are DMR, will the SDS200 pick those up with the upgrade.

Thanks for all the help. I tried to review past postings and couldn't find an answer.
For the RWC talkgroups you need a P25, Phase 2 capable scanner, for DMR you need a DMR capable receiver. The SDS200, with DMR Aactive, it would work

kg7el

Premium Subscriber
So just to be clear, an Uniden SDS200 with the DMR upgrade would be able to hear the Mode T Talk Groups on RWC?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If the systems are labeled P25, and talkgroups show T, your scanner will receive them. If they are any other systems, not P25, and have a T, you will need to purchase the appropriate digital upgrade from Uniden if the system is supported and they supply an upgrade.

kg7el

Premium Subscriber
If the systems are labeled P25, and talkgroups show T, your scanner will receive them. If they are any other systems, not P25, and have a T, you will need to purchase the appropriate digital upgrade from Uniden if the system is supported and they supply an upgrade.
Well my SDS200 is NOT hearing them. The scanning stops on the TG but audio is muted. Maybe it is actually TE (encrypted) and the DB is outdated?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Always a possibility. Does it stop on the tg and stay there like a conversation is taking place or does the tg flash for a split second and move on? Do you see enc show on the screen at all?

kg7el

Premium Subscriber
So here's the outcome. I added the DMR Upgrade and it didn't seem to fix it right away. I'll use it for listening to other DMR stations and Ham repeaters.

I created a NEW P25 System (not the P25 One Frequency I used before) and it seemed to start working. I only wanted to create a System for one Site / Department and Control frequency. But alas it didn't work even though it did STOP on a TG and seemed to stay paused for the duration of a conversation and then move on. With the P25 system type, it seems to work.

Don't know if it was the System Selection problem or just the DMR upgrade worked. So I can't say which issue was the problem. Maybe someone can tell me if the Status Display says P25P2 Slot1 means just TDMA or does it mean DMR?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

Interesting that you've been a member for so long and are indeed.. a newbie. You will find a delay in response for the first handful of post.

The posters on your thread are all very experienced. You've got a steep learning curve, opinion is, it's worth the upgrade to DMR.. even though you don't need it for the essentials.

It was good that you put your location in your profile. Of course we could have found it in your call sign also. Good luck to you.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Haha, so a post just popped up that you wrote before mine, while I was making my post. I also noticed that, you are a member, not a newbie in your header.😉

kg7el

Premium Subscriber
P25 Slot 1/2 indicates a Phase 2 (TDMA) talkgroup in use.
Ah, thank you, the answer I needed. So I didn't need the DMR Upgrade, but I'll use it later. It must of been the way I created a NEW SYSTEM with the wrong type. It's working now. I just need to figure out which SITES carry which talk groups. Seems that not all the SITEs in a SYSTEM, carry the same traffic.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I added the DMR Upgrade and it didn't seem to fix it right away.
Dmr upgrade is for Dmr, not P25 as mentioned earlier. Since you want to listen to ham Dmr, not a total loss.

I created a NEW P25 System (not the P25 One Frequency I used before) and it seemed to start working.
P25 One Freq is for P25 conventional frequencies. Not P25 trunked systems.

I only wanted to create a System for one Site / Department and Control frequency. But alas it didn't work even though it did STOP on a TG and seemed to stay paused for the duration of a conversation and then move on. With the P25 system type, it seems to work.
You would import the system into Sentinel, then set all departments of non interest to avoid.

Go here to determine which sites are closest to you.

The go to the sites tab and avoid the sites not near you which should leave you the ones that may carry the transmissions of interest.