Technician privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5lz

Do I want to re-take tests every 10 years? No. Would I if that's how the rules read? Yes. How about keeping up with things for those ol'farts? Most do, and what do you think these NPRs are for? Does everyone read them? Of course not! But I'll bet they get told about them if they don't. Old ways and new ways, which are better? Just depends on who'z asking, and why. If a new way sticks around long enough it turns into an old way. If it doesn't stick around then there's probably a good reason, like it or not (in most cases).
This sort of
question is always around and has been for a very long time (every time something changes). Get used to it and show it the attention it deserves.
- Ol'Fart

KE0GXN

Well, even old timers (I've been licensed since '75) realize there's always more to learn so don't let being the new guy discourage you.

Not discouraged at all over here. I belong to good club and have had the good fortune to have been elmered by many well intentioned old timers. Heck, in most instances I‘d rather hang out and get along better with the older generation then my own generation. Too much BS going on with my generation. In my experience older folks tell like it is (which I prefer) and do not care if you like it or not...

bill4long

One example is tacking "/R" onto a CW repeater ID. Not required by the rules, but I know a lot of old repeater operators who continue to do it. It's a small thing and nobody's going to die or go to jail over it--it's just an indication of an old ham who hasn't kept up with the rule changes.

Not a very persuasive example. Can you think of a better one?

Oh, and before anyone gets excited, I've been licensed for 29 years, so I guess I'm an old ham. I would gladly retake a license exam every 10 years.

I wouldn't mind as long as I could do it online. But the whole issue is moot. Re-testing solves no problem from the FCC's standpoint, and would only add to their paperwork, which they are not interested in. Fuggedaboudit.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The upper limit for the CW/Data portion of 80m has changed over the years (and may be changing again). I remember a rather prominent RTTY operation that was happily transmitting above 3600 kHz a few years ago and the op simply ignored suggestions that he was operating in the phone segment of the band. Not a huge transgression, but another example of folks not keeping up with the rules.

Even though I occasionally bring up the topic of requiring a re-test for license renewal, I know it will never happen. It's just a windmill that I tilt at.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
One misconception is that CW is limited to a portion of any band, it isn't. It's allowed anywhere on all bands.
While that is a true statement, RTTY is limited to the 80m band which the FCC defines as 3500 to 3600 kHz (3600 to 4000 kHz is the 75m band, according to the FCC).

W5lz

While that is a true statement, RTTY is limited to the 80m band which the FCC defines as 3500 to 3600 kHz (3600 to 4000 kHz is the 75m band, according to the FCC).

... then it's a good thing I didn't say that about RTTY, huh?

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Ewww.. You're right ! ! ! They changed it, CW wasn't allowed previously.

From the ARRL website...

Effective March 5, 2012 the FCC has permitted CW, USB, and certain digital modes on these frequencies. The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) is the primary user of the 60-meter band.
The FCC Report and Order permits the use of digital modes that comply with emission designator 60H0J2B, which includes PSK31 as well as any RTTY signal with a bandwidth of less than 60 Hz.
The Report and Order also allows the use of modes that comply with emission designator 2K80J2D, which includes any digital mode with a bandwidth of 2.8 kHz or less whose technical characteristics have been documented publicly, per Part 97.309(4) of the FCC Rules. Such modes would include PACTOR I, II or III, 300-baud packet, MFSK, MT63, Contestia, Olivia, DominoEX and others.
On 60 meters hams are restricted to only one signal per channel and automatic operation is not permitted. In addition, the FCC continues to require that all digital transmissions be centered on the channel-center frequencies, which the Report and Order defines as being 1.5 kHz above the suppressed carrier frequency of a transceiver operated in the Upper Sideband (USB) mode. This is typically the frequency shown on the frequency display.

Thanks
Joel

bill4long

So are you saying its ok to use CW on 60 meters?

Thanks
Joel

Yes. The 2011 Report and Order specified a couple of digital modes and CW as permitted. CW has to use the center frequency of each of the five channels.

EDIT: I see you found the R&O

Okay then

WB9YBM

It's also allowed on 40M & up (see attached)

Attachments

• band plan, ham HF, 2020.jpg
    band plan, ham HF, 2020.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 9

W5lz

Yeah...but what does any of this have to do with Technicians being allowed on 80, 40 and15 meter phone...........?

Really, it doesn't have much to do with Tech privileges. Techs already have HF privileges, so if they want more, then up-grade. You can't change the rules just because you want to, it takes a good reason. The solution is already there and has been for some time.

KO4IPV

If you have a Technician license and want to work HF it's easy enough to get a General. Way back the Technician and General tests were the same. The only difference was the code. Now no code. So what is the problem just upgrade.

My experience is that having HF privileges and getting on HF are two different things. Getting on HF requires buying an HF radio, power supply, antenna(s) and feed line(s). It also requires space. These are barriers for a lot of hams, even experienced ones. The tests (even Extra) are minor in comparison.

The operator with a new Technician license and a CCR isn't going to get on HF.

We have dumbed down licenses anyway. The idea of incentive licensing is going away.
Sorry I was with you all the way up until you jumped on that high high horse of yours and suggested that these elements have ben dumbed down, not so to the contrary !!!!! If your going to tell me now that yes they are because all a Technician has to do is memorize the answers, this could be for all three elements, theory and memorizing works as storing knowledge both ways. It’s all learning and storing useful memory.

k6cpo

I suspect, since this proposal originated with the league, that's it's an attempt to change the rules to attract more people to the hobby which, in turn, could translate into more members for the league. Otherwise, it's totally without merit.

W5lz

I suspect, since this proposal originated with the league, that's it's an attempt to change the rules to attract more people to the hobby which, in turn, could translate into more members for the league. Otherwise, it's totally without merit.
I agree. Can't say about the league but the worthless part is a fact.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
One Thing that is certain and is never going to change is that people love to complain. I say do one test for one license class. Even when I was a Tech, I had countless Extras asking me questions to which they should have known the answer. Just because you are an Extra doesn't make you automatically know everything and there is still plenty to learn. The problem is once people get their ticket, they dump everything they memorized (I mean learned) and most never pursue learning anything else. A ham license is supposed to be a gateway and should be the beginning of the learning, not the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.