SDR# TETRA Demodulator Trunk Tracking Demonstration

Ubbe

Check the error.txt file if that says anything.
You don't have the Record folder to deep into the folder structure as it needs the full path name from root to not exceed a certain number of characters?

/Ubbe

badyunior

I upgraded to v1.7.0.0 from 1.0.15.8 and recording is no longer working.

There are no wav files created at all. The 'Record' folder exists but stays empty. I can hear call audio by listening to the virtual audio pipeline, just as I used to in the past. The SDR# plugin that comes with the 1.7.0.0 package has been installed. Logging appears to work as intended.

What can I do to troubleshoot this issue?

I can't say what you do wrong, but I confirm that recording in v1.7.0.0 works fine

Regards
Darek

thewraith2008

I upgraded to v1.7.0.0 from 1.0.15.8 and recording is no longer working.

There are no wav files created at all. The 'Record' folder exists but stays empty. I can hear call audio by listening to the virtual audio pipeline, just as I used to in the past. The SDR# plugin that comes with the 1.7.0.0 package has been installed. Logging appears to work as intended.

What can I do to troubleshoot this issue?
After upgrade, is the recording options set to 'Record ALL calls' or 'Record select GSSIs' and are the GSSIs to record still defined? (saved in 'TETRA_rec_gssi.txt')

Latest version (v1.7.0.0) can be found here: Release post

Kasmus

Thank you all for your input! (y)

@Ubbe the absolute path length should be fine as it's exactly the same as my 1.0.15.8 folder. My instance doesn't seem to have an error.txt. Where should that be located?

@thewraith2008 It's set to "Record ALL calls" in the GUI and there is no TETRA_rec_gssi.txt

Edit: I just noticed a line in the log-window: "The specified parameter is out of range for the specified command. - Error (samples/sec)"
That kinda sounds like TTT does not like the sample rate of my audio interface, doesn't it? As I stated earlier, the older TTT version works fine, but on the other hand that one has its own SDR# folder with the respective Tetra plugin version. However, both SDR# instances are set to 48 kHz/16 bit/ 2 channels.

Last edited:

badyunior

Thank you all for your input! (y)

@thewraith2008 It's set to "Record ALL calls" in the GUI and there is no TETRA_rec_gssi.txt

Do you install new version of SDR&TT in new folder/s or you just upgraded files in folder? I suggest to install it into new folder by copying old SDR&TTT into new folder and try run. If you upgraded files, try to do new TTT setup from begining.

Regards
Darek

thewraith2008

Edit: I just noticed a line in the log-window: "The specified parameter is out of range for the specified command. - Error (samples/sec)"
That kinda sounds like TTT does not like the sample rate of my audio interface, doesn't it? As I stated earlier, the older TTT version works fine, but on the other hand that one has its own SDR# folder with the respective Tetra plugin version. However, both SDR# instances are set to 48 kHz/16 bit/ 2 channels.
Is the old and new version on the same PC?
Can you use the old version still and it records OK?
In new version set-up, is the output device in SDR# same as old version?

This is most likely a set-up issue somewhere as no changes to code for recording have occured for sometime.

Kasmus

Yep, same PC and the old version still works. The output device is the same as well, both using DirectSound and switching to MME makes no difference.
Thanks for confirming there are no changes to the recording functions. I'll try a clean "install" to another folder and will report back if that changes anything.

LA6FRA

Do you have it enabled in 'Config' in the plug-in?
NOTE: TTT will not show anything to do with encrypted calls.
NOTE: Showing encrypted details may work better when NOT using TTT or when using TTT in dual mode.
I've have only been able to do limited testing with this feature. (using user supply IQ samples where encryption is used.)

I remenber now that this information was seen in the network info, not running TTT

DarkAngelT

@thewraith2008

Today I noticed that:

1 - Sometimes in the NET INFO window a GSSI appears marked in yellow where it appears written: UNKNOWN

2 - Sometimes in the Log of the TTT window some ISSI appears as: NOT JOINED

3 - In the Demodulator before the ISSI numbering, sometimes the letter X appears in place of the letter C

thewraith2008

I remenber now that this information was seen in the network info, not running TTT
Info can be seen in network info window using version 0.99,6s
You didn't answer my question.
You say your not using TTT then post a image showing TTT been used.

Old version of plug-in is not showing encrypted call details despite what 'Encrypted' column is showing.
Old version of plug-in was bad at showing any call details. Don't use it as some sort of benchmark for what current version should be doing.
There is no way it could display what it could never see.
The old plug-in sees timeslot activity but had no way of knowing what it was.

@thewraith2008

Today I noticed that:

1 - Sometimes in the NET INFO window a GSSI appears marked in yellow where it appears written: UNKNOWN
If seen on traffic carrier, then it has not been able to determine details of activity of other timeslots of current carrier.

2 - Sometimes in the Log of the TTT window some ISSI appears as: NOT JOINED
I guess ISSI could not join call for whatever reason.

3 - In the Demodulator before the ISSI numbering, sometimes the letter X appears in place of the letter C
'X' is when speech is 'Encypted' or 'Unknown'. Unknown is when it has not been able to determine details of activity of timeslot of current carrier.
'C' is clear speech which has been determined for control control (CMCE) PDUs.

To anyone:
I recommend not using the experimental encrypted call details feature if you don't understand what it's doing. (see changelog for plug-in)
It's going to show a lot of incomplete details about activity on timeslots not only for encrypted traffic but for normal clear traffic as well.
What details is shown can differ depending on how plug-in is used. e.g. With or without TTT and if single or dual mode is used.
The information shown is what it is.
If you don't like what your seeing, then turn it OFF. Your not missing out on anything.

lunakk

Hello all :)
Nice to be here.
I got some D_SDS data recorded with nice pattern, but after few hours of trying to understand what is going on there, I'm stuck,
Maybe some one can help :)

Attachments

• TETRA_sds_data.zip
    18.8 KB · Views: 36

oz1jua

So, with the latest release I added the ability to see the encrypted activity in the 'Calls' tab.
Has anyone tried this? What do you think? Is this feature of any interest to anyone?
I thought adding this would be of interest to those who see only encrypted traffic or see mixed (clear, encrypted) traffic.

This is a tough crowd to get feedback.

A have try it and this I love so much that I will use this enabled at all time.
Even if the encrypted calls are not correct it seems that I now can see a lot off calls that is not encrypted from encrypted PDUs.
I think that some Radio brands do not encrypt the ISSI. But it seems that all GSSI is encryptet but with the same encryption.
So over time I can track down what GSSI is original from and give them some alias.

Thanks for this update. !!!!!!!

thewraith2008

Hello all :)
Nice to be here.
I got some D_SDS data recorded with nice pattern, but after few hours of trying to understand what is going on there, I'm stuck,
Maybe some one can help :)
Have a look in 'TTT_Features_and_Usage.pdf' documentation under 'SDS – Unknown protocol ID handling'

If you modify the supplied 'TETRA_sds_unknown_protocol.txt' to match your MCC and MNC and change procotolID to 'User_Defined_195' then that might show something else.
These messages don't have to be human readable.

TETRA_sds_unknown_protocol.txt:
Code:
123;4;User_Defined_195;e0,r0

ET-NL

I like this new version, thanx for all the work you put in to this!!

If I look at the tab "MS Registrations" it looks like the ISSI / GSSI information is making sens, there I see SSI numbers from the past (before they went dark behind encryption). In the "Call ID" tab the ISSI/GSSI numbers are not making sens.

The only problem I have with this latest version is that now and then my PC freezes completly, no error no nothing it just stops responding only the power button for 10 seconds helps. (running Win10 1909 x64 (as a user no admin) / SDR#1732 / TTT 1.7.0 / The network is mixed use Clear and Encrypted.
Sometimes it runs for an hour, the next time it freezes after a few minutes.

ET

thewraith2008

In the "Call ID" tab the ISSI/GSSI numbers are not making sens.
What's not making sense about it?
If it's Call IDs above 20000, then this is the fake Call ID that is created for encrypted/unknown activity. (see plug-in changelog)
NOTE: Normal Call IDs will be in range of 1 to 16383 with 0 been used as a dummy value used during initial call set-up (BS and calling MS).

The only problem I have with this latest version is that now and then my PC freezes completly, no error no nothing it just stops responding only the power button for 10 seconds helps. (running Win10 1909 x64 (as a user no admin) / SDR#1732 / TTT 1.7.0 / The network is mixed use Clear and Encrypted.
Sometimes it runs for an hour, the next time it freezes after a few minutes.

ET
No idea about this. Pretty severe to hang all of windows. Never seen that.
Try using an earlier SDR#, e.g. v1700 if you have it or at least earlier than v1717.

thewraith2008

Wraith, is it possible to log that experimental data or both into the file? I try to compare some of that.

Darek
I could probably add it.
This data is created in different places depending where the activity is, e.g. encrypted speech or encrypted PDU.
Most likely would only work when not using TTT mode. In TTT mode, it can get a bit messy when moving to different carriers.
I could probably grab it before it is removed from call list.