TG 64000 - Digital - Multiple Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlajlu

Silent Key
TG 64000 is listed in the Db as "UCAN Encrypted 5." I have been getting a fair amount of digital traffic on this TG the past couple of days from the UCAN Engineers and it has all been in the clear. Although there is no question that since it is a UCAN Engineer assigned TG it could also have encryption available, has anyone heard this TG being used like that? How do we know that it could be encrypted? I guess what I'm really asking is if encryption is an option on a digital TG or whether it is an "either/or" situation, and whether or not this TG is mislabeled.

tbogs

I've noticed the very same thing on this TG. The past few weeks its been the UCAN engineers talking. They have been changing channels, switching to TG's 64000, 4096, and 4128.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure where we got "Encrypted" from.

But qlajlu to answer your question any combo is possible. In fact some users could be encrypted and others not encrypted.

I have only been copying Digital traffic on this TG. Somebody listening without a digital scanner may have assumed it was encrypted.

The only active Encrypted TG that I know of is 58880.

qlajlu

Silent Key
I am not sure where we got "Encrypted" from.

But qlajlu to answer your question any combo is possible. In fact some users could be encrypted and others not encrypted.

I have only been copying Digital traffic on this TG. Somebody listening without a digital scanner may have assumed it was encrypted.

The only active Encrypted TG that I know of is 58880.
That is kinda what I thought. Before trunking, the Uintah Basin (Duchesne, Vernal, etc) had encryption available on their VHF radios. It was interesting to hear even if you couldn't understand anything, but they did not run in continuous encrypted mode. That is what prompted my question as to whether or not the label on TG 64000 was misleading. In my mind, this throws the tags on the following TGs from the Db into question also:

TGID - TAG
58912 - UCAN Encrypted 1
58944 - UCAN Encrypted 2
58976 - UCAN Encrypted 3
59200 - UCAN Encrypted 4

Also, should we change TG 64000 to UCAN Engineers - Digital? Currently it is listed as UCAN Encrypted 5.

I can't swear to it, but while I was learning about my PSR-600 I'm sure I heard the UCAN Engineers on TG 59200 one day, too.

Observer1

Just an FYI, the encryption has nothing to do with the system, it has to do with the radios.

The radios that use encryption have a switch which allows it to be turned on and off, with it in the off mode, it works just like a normal radio. There ARE radios which allow for that, and there are agencies that have them. Most officers etc do not (it's expensive)

qlajlu

Silent Key
Just an FYI, the encryption has nothing to do with the system, it has to do with the radios.

The radios that use encryption have a switch which allows it to be turned on and off, with it in the off mode, it works just like a normal radio. There ARE radios which allow for that, and there are agencies that have them. Most officers etc do not (it's expensive)
Yes, I know that and that is another reason I think the tags on those TGIDs listed in my other post should be changed to simply, "Digital."

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
TG 64000 is listed in the Db as "UCAN Encrypted 5." I have been getting a fair amount of digital traffic on this TG the past couple of days from the UCAN Engineers and it has all been in the clear. Although there is no question that since it is a UCAN Engineer assigned TG it could also have encryption available, has anyone heard this TG being used like that? How do we know that it could be encrypted? I guess what I'm really asking is if encryption is an option on a digital TG or whether it is an "either/or" situation, and whether or not this TG is mislabeled.

Last i heard this one it wasnt encrypted although very much P25, for my BCD396T decoded it to be as such I havent heard it encrypted but i wouldnt rule it out either

Status
Not open for further replies.