BCD436HP/BCD536HP: The Analyze Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
When will a update in firmware be available to correct the non-functioning "Analyze" feature
for the 436?

Thanks

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
When Paul (UPMan) is ready to provide an update, he will provide an update.

Until then you have to wait.

XTS3000

Boy, that's a snotty answer! I'd like to know the answer to the OP question, not a smart a55 comment from the peanut gallery.

We were promised features and they are NOT present in our scanners. It is NOT out of line for the OP to ask about these missing features and when they will be released.

"When Paul is ready" is a BS, HS answer, uncalled for, and inaccurate.

LIScanner101

Actually my answer is spot on.

Look through every other thread on this site about this subject. Same answer.

An update will be provided when one is ready.

Last edited:

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Boy, that's a snotty answer! I'd like to know the answer to the OP question, not a smart a55 comment from the peanut gallery.

We were promised features and they are NOT present in our scanners. It is NOT out of line for the OP to ask about these missing features and when they will be released.

"When Paul is ready" is a BS, HS answer, uncalled for, and inaccurate.

It does seem snotty BUUUUUUT, that is only due to some of the half wits on the site and how they are ALWAYS saying the same exact thing, giving heartburn to those that know this is 100% bull**** to see, hear and "deal" with.

Either way everyone has to wait until Undone get's their crap together and finally release ALL aspects of the scanners they are currently selling as coming with.

Until then we are just pawns getting played!

LIScanner101

I was told by management to be more factual so I tried to be factual in my response. 'Nuff said.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Can't disagree - also the search feature will show the same.

When there is news - Upman will post it so everyone can agree/disagree and once again ask when where yada yada yada.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

Have to give LIScanner101 credit here: that is the correct response to the original
posters question. He was not being "snotty" he was being accurate.
From UPMan's own website:

When we are ready to announce a new scanner, we'll announce it to everyone, and it won't be due to someone asking either in a forum or a private message. it will be because we are ready to announce a new scanner. We don't announce right now, right this minute for a few reasons:

We aren't ready to announce it, yet.
We don't want to give our competition a heads-up that we have a new model with particular features coming out...the longer we wait, the longer we maintain our competitive advantage with new features.
In the development process, as features are tested and refined, sometimes features are added, and sometimes features are dropped. Early announcements create a risk of "false claims" criticisms once the product is released.
There are some legal restrictions on promoting products that do not yet have certain approvals. Waiting until those approvals have been granted (or are just a day or two away) reduces greatly the complexity involved in making any such announcement.

The above not only applies to scanners but to new features, software releases, etc.
Kudos to LIScanner101 for providing an accurate response.
Marshall KE4ZNR

kd7eir

I have to chime in here and support this answer as well. It is nothing more or less than a re-statement of Upman's stance on ALL scanner related questions.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col

Yes, yes, but it's not like the scanner shipped without a volume knob or a speaker or something else necessary for it's operation.

I know we've all heard the official answer a million times and no one likes to wait but I still think the all caps hyperbole and the comments about people getting played is a bit over the top. I have all sorts of gadgets, scanners, sdr's, tablets, computers, etc so if I really found myself needing to analyze a trunking system, I have numerous ways I can get that done without tying up my BC436HP which is now my primary scanner. When the feature is released, I'll probably play with it once just to see what all the fuss was about and then forget about it because it's not something I need and I didn't buy the scanner for this purpose. I realize that's not the case for everyone, but that's the case for me.

It's certainly not out of line to ask about the status of these updates that we've all been waiting on, but a quick search would have told the OP what he wanted to know without having to wait for an answer.

-AZ

b52hbuff

Is the analyze feature for the x36 scanners documented? Does anyone have any expectation about how the feature will compare to the Hp-1? Will it have feature parity, or will it do something more?

I am also curious if the x36 will analyze systems that the HP-1 cannot? I know that the x36 will decode P25/Phase 2 systems. Is a P25/Phase 2 control channel the same as a P25/Phase 1 control channel?

If so, then AZ and others can use the "legacy" HP-1 to analyze these Phase 2 control channels.

garys

Premium Subscriber
While I frequently disagree with LIScanner101, he is factually accurate. It is long standing Uniden policy not to announce products or enhancements until they are close to release.

Having run a pretty complex IT project, I can attest that very often products or enhancements take longer than anticipated due to a number of factors. I learned fairly early in the process not to announce that an upgrade to the system until it had been at least beta tested and major bugs had been resolved. Doing otherwise just makes people angry and cynical.

kd7eir

Another way to think about this - Does anyone REALLY think that Upman or Uniden want any bad publicity? Does anyone REALLY think that Upman or Uniden want to see their customers upset about late delivery of ANYTHING that they sell?

I am certain that Uniden is not withholding the analyze feature out of spite, and I am equally certain that Uniden would not have announced the feature, or even included it in the menu system, if they were not 100% certain that they could deliver it.

Things happen, priorities change. We all knew that the analyze feature, just like the app for the BCD536HP, would not be ready at the launch of the product. This information was widely available before the first unit ever shipped, so there was no attempt at subterfuge, no planned disinformation scheme.

I completely understand the frustration of those that were particularly looking forward to using these features, however if the availability of these features was a necessity then those people should have held off on making their purchases until they were fully implemented.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Is the analyze feature for the x36 scanners documented?
Not yet.

Does anyone have any expectation about how the feature will compare to the Hp-1? Will it have feature parity, or will it do something more?
Expectations are that the feature set will be comparable to the HP-1 Extreme feature set with the addition of the ability to analyze P25 Phase II TDMA systems.

I am also curious if the x36 will analyze systems that the HP-1 cannot?
Expectations are that the BCD436HP/BCD536HP will be able to analyze P25 Phase II TDMA systems.

I know that the x36 will decode P25/Phase 2 systems. Is a P25/Phase 2 control channel the same as a P25/Phase 1 control channel?
Nope.

If so, then AZ and others can use the "legacy" HP-1 to analyze these Phase 2 control channels.
Nope. The HP-1 does not have required hardware to be able to decode/analyze P25 Phase II TDMA. So the HP-1 cannot decode/analyze P25 Phase 2 TDMA.

Marshall KE4ZNR

buggiecar

W1COD
Premium Subscriber
C'mon...play nice.

I for one shelled out over 1500 bucks for my 436...my 536 and my HP-1....I understand the situation with (Paul) UP Man...I get that...but I am still waiting for an update to my HP-1...I even shelled out the extra hundred for the added features....As far as the 536 & 436...IMHO shouldn't you not sell the radios until they are ready ready? To get flamed over a comment isn't right either..there are some great people here on the boards and the Google groups too...play nice is all I'm saying...I have been a scanner enthusiast since the early 70s when I had a Regency 4 channel scanner and had to go to Lafayette or Bond Radio (Waterbury CT) to get my crystals...I just got a new scanner enthusiast started in the hobby...that's how it will go on...don't turn someone off with a harsh answer...remember when you were a scanner "virgin".

LIScanner101

I for one shelled out over 1500 bucks for my 436...my 536 and my HP-1....I understand the situation with (Paul) UP Man...I get that...but I am still waiting for an update to my HP-1...I even shelled out the extra hundred for the added features....As far as the 536 & 436...IMHO shouldn't you not sell the radios until they are ready ready? To get flamed over a comment isn't right either..there are some great people here on the boards and the Google groups too...play nice is all I'm saying...I have been a scanner enthusiast since the early 70s when I had a Regency 4 channel scanner and had to go to Lafayette or Bond Radio (Waterbury CT) to get my crystals...I just got a new scanner enthusiast started in the hobby...that's how it will go on...don't turn someone off with a harsh answer...remember when you were a scanner "virgin".

What exactly are you upset about? Which post or comment? I see nothing but facts being presented here.

mrkelso

What exactly are you upset about? Which post or comment? I see nothing but facts being presented here.

I guess people are frustrated because they didn't get all that they paid for yet. It's like lending someone money expecting to get it back by a certain date and that date comes and the borrower doesn't show.
I feel for all concerned.

LIScanner101

I guess people are frustrated because they didn't get all that they paid for yet. It's like lending someone money expecting to get it back by a certain date and that date comes and the borrower doesn't show.
I feel for all concerned.

I agree 1000%, but you know the old saying: caveat emptor.

When you have home improvements done on your house, do you pay the contractor in full? Of course you don’t. General rule of thumb there is about 1/3 down, 1/3 at the mid-point and 1/3 upon FULL COMPLETION. Sometimes it’s 1/3 down and 2/3 upon completion. This way you force the contractor to do the whole job and not just take your money and promise that he’ll come back to finish or fix anything that’s not to your satisfaction. At that point, he’s got your money and your only recourse is legal action.

Since those who purchased these scanners already paid in full, their leverage is pretty minimal and they’re now at the mercy of the company’s schedule and priorities. That’s a tough spot to be in.

I’m not talking about you personally here on what I’m about to say, but I find it shocking at the level of naïveté present on this site, and the sheer number of those who have no idea how to properly conduct business.

Water under the bridge.

LIScanner101

I for one shelled out over 1500 bucks for my 436...my 536 and my HP-1....I understand the situation with (Paul) UP Man...I get that...but I am still waiting for an update to my HP-1...I even shelled out the extra hundred for the added features.

Are you talking about the Extreme upgrade?

As far as the 536 & 436...IMHO shouldn't you not sell the radios until they are ready ready?

It is up to the buyer to protect themselves and the best course of action would have been to wait until the feature was available before making a purchase.

To get flamed over a comment isn't right either..there are some great people here on the boards and the Google groups too...play nice is all I'm saying.

I don’t believe anyone is flaming anybody here, can you please post an example of what you call flaming?

don't turn someone off with a harsh answer...remember when you were a scanner "virgin".

What “harsh” answer? You mean the factual truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.