Thrift Store finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

On Tuesday 7/14/15 I bought a New Midland WX120 weather alert radio for $7.50 from a local grocery store. The weather alert radio was in the reduced section. Last one left.

W9NES

Midland Wx-120 weather alert

On Weds 7/15/15 I found a Midland Wx-120 brand new still in the box at a local grocery store chain here in Indianapolis for $7.50. It was found in the reduced isle. You never know where you are going to find a great deal!!!!

W9NES

On Sat 10/10/15 I found a Astron RS-7A power supply like new at my local Goodwill for $10.00, Brought it home put a dc volt meter on the back and putting out 13.8VDC

W9NES

On Sat 11/8/15 I found a very nice Bearcat 350A with power supply and no antenna at a local Salvation Army thift store for $3.00. Brought it home put a antenna on the back of it and it works fine. "LETS KEEP THIS THREAD GOING"

bkantor

Premium Subscriber
Nice Score!

On Sat 11/8/15 I found a very nice Bearcat 350A with power supply and no antenna at a local Salvation Army thift store for $3.00. Brought it home put a antenna on the back of it and it works fine. "LETS KEEP THIS THREAD GOING"

I constantly stop at my local Salvation Army and hit garage sales, but have not had a score like that in quite a while. I haven't been lucky since about 3 years ago, when I bought a vintage Grundig Magestic off of someones lawn for $10. Enjoy your $3 find!

Bob

wbswetnam

Premium Subscriber
Last week I was at the local Habitat For Humanity store and I found an external mag mount cellular phone antenna. I brought it home, chopped off the mystery plug from the 15' cable and I installed a PL-259 plug on it. I connected it to the antenna analyzer and I found that it had decent SWR for the VHF-High band and UHF bands. I connected it to a handheld scanner and it works great. Well worth the $2.00 I paid for it.

BTW at the HFH store... I've never seen so many used walkers, wheelchairs and shower benches in my life. They even had four church pews in there for sale.

77Impala

Not a thrift store find but I did get a couple of items for free. A Heathkit TS-3 signal generator that I think may be helpful in amateur radio. And 1st of 2 oscilloscopes. The first one does not work at the moment and the second one should once I get it. I plan on opening up the first oscilloscope to see if it is something simple.

My uncle bought them at a auction about 4 years ago and has had them in storage since.

W9NES

On Tues 12-1-15 I bought 2 items that are working fine. Bought a Uniden cordless phone with a answering machine paid $5.99 and works great. I also bought (New) in the factory carton a ACU-RITE Model #08505 Weather Alert FIPS receiver for $5.99. I found these in a local Goodwill store in my area.

N

NWESSAR

On Thursday 12/10/15 I found a like new Maxon WX-70 weather alert receiver at a local Salvation thrift store for $2.99 still in the factory wrapper with instructions and a matching 9volt dc wall wart power supply. Put a new 9volt dc battery in unit and works great both on ac and dc. Lets keep this posting going on this forum. Would like to hear from others on what you find.

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
I love those old scanners too!!! Have picked up several over the years... They always seem to have better sound than the new scanners.

W9NES

Hello to all W9NES( Weds 12/30/15) Found new in the box at a local Salvation Army family store a Logitech wireless keyboard with the receiver and the wireless mouse. Have it working on my main computer as I am posting this. Bought this for $5.99. I hope all of you have a great 2016.Would like to see other members post here what they find.!!!!!

wbswetnam

Premium Subscriber
On Monday this week at the local Goodwill store I found a cheap used 49 MHz FM baby monitor... and it works! It has two channels, 49.845 and 49.860. I get better reception of the base with a handheld scanner. I could hear it with full quieting 100' from the house. I paid $4.00 for it. I can set the base unit next to the speaker of my HF rig and listen to a net while I'm out in the yard or the workshed.

SCPD

QRT
Baby monitors

On Monday this week at the local Goodwill store I found a cheap used 49 MHz FM baby monitor... and it works! It has two channels, 49.845 and 49.860. I get better reception of the base with a handheld scanner. I could hear it with full quieting 100' from the house. I paid $4.00 for it. I can set the base unit next to the speaker of my HF rig and listen to a net while I'm out in the yard or the workshed.

I like picking them up at yard sales for audio monitoring. I have one that monitors my garage. I know someone that keeps one in his work truck. And I know a church that monitors the church from the parsonage next store.

marksroberson

Went to some thrift stores yesterday, found a Uniden BC560XLT scanner, and a RadioShack 12-260 weather radio at the first store, 2nd store I found a Bearcat 3 Electra 8 channel scanner wIth some local Crystals inside it, including the local weather radio frequency, 3rd store I found a CentreCOM FH724SW 24 port dual speed Computer hub, and best of all, all the stuff works!!!

DJ11DLN

Went to some thrift stores yesterday, found a Uniden BC560XLT scanner, and a RadioShack 12-260 weather radio at the first store, 2nd store I found a Bearcat 3 Electra 8 channel scanner wIth some local Crystals inside it, including the local weather radio frequency, 3rd store I found a CentreCOM FH724SW 24 port dual speed Computer hub, and best of all, all the stuff works!!!

Cool finds! I've had a 560 from new (late '80s) and it was a fairly awesome little scanner for its day, great "ears" and audio, still works great though not much left that it can hear now.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.