Thrift Store finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

Last edited:

W9NES

On Monday 5-17-16 found a Midland WR-100 same weather alert radio at a Goodwill store were everything is in lots and you have to dig around to find things. Found it with a plug in the wall power supply. Worked well in the store. Gave 79 cents for it. Cleaned the battery contacts and it works great on 3 AA batteries. Everything is sold by weight. http://www.atomicmall.com/cpic/x/16...a-digital-weather-all-hazards-alert-radio.jpg

Last edited:

77Impala

On Monday 5-17-16 found a Midland WR-100 same weather alert radio at a Goodwill store were everything is in lots and you have to dig around to find things. Found it with a plug in the wall power supply. Worked well in the store. Gave 79 cents for it. Cleaned the battery contacts and it works great on 3 AA batteries. Everything is sold by weight. http://www.atomicmall.com/cpic/x/16...a-digital-weather-all-hazards-alert-radio.jpg

I bought one of them brand new and found 2 of them at local goodwill stores. The latter 2 failed pretty quickly and the original failed shortly there after. Don't be surprised if that one does not hold up for long. My original held up for 5 years.

wbswetnam

Premium Subscriber
I bought one of them brand new and found 2 of them at local goodwill stores. The latter 2 failed pretty quickly and the original failed shortly there after. Don't be surprised if that one does not hold up for long. My original held up for 5 years.

I've had that same model for 5 years now and it still works fine.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Midland WR-100 NOAA SAME WX radio $2.99 at Goodwill in Winter Springs FL today. Works fine, but no wall wart.

mancow

Database Admin
How about Dayton finds.

Bendix King KX-99 aircraft radio for $5. Thales 25 P25 vhf radios for $25.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Panasonic Toughbook CF-31(Mk2) i5 that "didn't work" at a Ham swap today. $50. Plugged in with the proper adapter, and was greeted with the Windows 7 Welcome. Swapped an SSD I had laying around in, added some RAM and working fine.

majoco

Stirrer
Bendix King KX-99 aircraft radio for $5.
Hope the batteries are good, the box is sealed quite tight. I had to hacksaw off the bottom to replace the nicads and so I lost the charger contacts but they charge alright from the 12volt connector on the top. But it was free so nothing to lose. Works well. The handbook is on the bendix-king website as a pdf - just google.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Panasonic Toughbook CF-31(Mk2) i5 that "didn't work" at a Ham swap today. $50. Plugged in with the proper adapter, and was greeted with the Windows 7 Welcome. Swapped an SSD I had laying around in, added some RAM and working fine.
. Nice! Awsome deal! :). 73, n9zas

K2RNI

I always go through the Goodwill a lot hoping to find some scanners or ham radios. No luck so far, found a couple of old CB radios but only bought one, use it as the main base now.

Also found an SCA Radio, was neat listening to FM broadcast subcarriers in Tagalog and a mormon guy.

K2RNI

I was at the local Swap Meet last week with a friend. Saw quite a few old 23 channel CB radios, didn't get em. Did get this though http://i.imgur.com/IHoEziP.jpg and a hexagon shaped SO-239 Coax switxh for 5 dollars. 3 dollars for the antenna, It's a Radio Shack 20-032. Cleaned up the old connector with some nail polish remover and stuck it upside down on the big AC vent in the ceiling and plugged into the BCT15x. Receives really nice even on VHF LO, only minor inconvenience is the center pin in the plug is a little off center and you gotta give it a gentle tug to get it off.

K2RNI

Got a neat Radio Shack Pro 91 on ebay, the giant online thrift/pawn store lol. Works perfectly really like this. Main portable now.

http://i.imgur.com/RCETDSq.jpg

The rubber duck on the left was what was included with it, the one on it is the telescopic from the BCT15x too tight to twist on though and I don't wanna torque the connector too much so not gonna use that too much. The duck receives lowband VHF very good hears the 49MHz baby monitor 1200 feet down the street when the telescopic can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.