Thrift Store finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

Hello to all I have been very lucky so far to find some more items I have added. On Fri 6/8/16 I found a Insignia model NS-HDRAD portable HD receiver at a local good will retail store. Paid $1.00 for it. It had a broken antenna on it, I replaced the antenna and less the 5 mins had it up and working. Link provided for the viewing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAw3wzqKhGU

W9NES

K2RNI Thanks, Links are provided for anyone to click on to see the picture of the item I have got. Go to the above post for W9NES, then look down to the link for RigPix Database, Click on the link and the picture will come up.

K2RNI

Some GE MPS paperweights. Hard lesson learned when buying old commercial radios. Only get the popular ones that still have batteries and cables circulating around. I always wanted my own Motorola GP300 since I first played with some on GMRS in 2010. Didn't find one at the swap meet but thought these looked cool cuz CHP used to use them. Only $5 thankfully and I recouped the cost from the rubber ducks on them.

zxqE8Idl.jpg

Last edited:

K2RNI

Radiotelephone in a bag. It'd be cool if one could retune it to 23cm HAM/ISM band and goof off with it but I'm just gonna pop out the duplexer and use it on a 23cm repeater if all is well.

4vZRHWWl.jpg

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Radiotelephone in a bag. It'd be cool if one could retune it to 23cm HAM/ISM band and goof off with it but I'm just gonna pop out the duplexer and use it on a 23cm repeater if all is well.

4vZRHWWl.jpg
. The battery and antenna might be useful too if its still good. :wink: 73, n9zas

K2RNI

. The battery and antenna might be useful too if its still good. :wink: 73, n9zas

Thanks for the tip. The battery died and was taken out a while back I was told. I might try messing with the antenna though, the plastic casing on the outside is all busted up but the element seems all fine.

marksroberson

Stopped by a pawn shop today and picked up a Radio Shack PRO-51 Handheld 200 channel scanner, the price tag said $39.95 so I got it but at the register the guy said $32.70 ($30.00 for the scanner + $2.70 tax) ummmm OK THEN he even kept the price tag on and I walked out the store with it! There was also a nice looking Desktop scanner in there under the handheld, it was one of those bearcat scanners that look like the Radioshack PRO-2051 only black, I didn't get it...But I might go back and get it! And while at a friends house he let me have a Motorola RDV2020 that "wasn't working" (works fine), and I picked it up with a NMN6191C Motorola speaker mic for a Jedi radio, everything works fine!

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
We hit the yard sales this morning and I scored a Realistic Patrolman 6 (12-756) for the princely sum of $1. I did plug it in at the sale and picked up AM/FM stations.

Opened it up and blew it out with canned air, then hit the controls with Deoxit D5. The plastic dial face plate had been taped back in place, so I removed that, cleaned up the residue and glued it back in place. The tip of the VHF/FM antenna is gone, and the UHF antenna is missing (though the base is there). Will see about some replacement antennas. Checking on VHF-Hi I was picking up some pagers, but nothing else. Nothing on VHF-Lo nor UHF yet.

Not in perfect condition by any means, but for $1 its very hard to go wrong.

baayers

absolutely love thrift stores. In December 2014 I scored a Uniden BCD436HP for $100. I found out that the original owner purchased it not realizing the area he lived in was fully encrypted and by time he figured it out his return window had closed so he just donated it to the store.

My most recent score was about two weeks ago when I snagged a RadioShack DX375 for $1. Once I dusted out the radio and cleaned up the outer case everything works great. It has been almost 15 years since I owned one of these and I honestly had forgotten how good the AM reception is. It is definitely a keeper.

bkantor

Premium Subscriber
absolutely love thrift stores. In December 2014 I scored a Uniden BCD436HP for $100. I found out that the original owner purchased it not realizing the area he lived in was fully encrypted and by time he figured it out his return window had closed so he just donated it to the store.

My most recent score was about two weeks ago when I snagged a RadioShack DX375 for $1. Once I dusted out the radio and cleaned up the outer case everything works great. It has been almost 15 years since I owned one of these and I honestly had forgotten how good the AM reception is. It is definitely a keeper.

Wow - that is great! Gives new meaning to "A Dollar and a dream"!

Status
Not open for further replies.