Thruway Authority Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freq_n_Hertz

Premium Subscriber
Rochester area

I've been monitoring 453.7875, 460.3125, 460.5875 and 460.6125 since last summer.

I've heard activity on all 4 frequencies in the Rochester area but the most active is 460.5875.

For 460.5875 I've noted a PL of 123.0 Hz. The others I haven't noted the PL (have to check those)

Monitored Manchester 460.6125 97.4 also with strong signal strength.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

I could see the wreckers going to simplex if there needs to be a lot of on-scene chatter at a big MVA.

KC2zZe

Does anyone think there moving the Wreckers/Roadside from the 425/525 as well? To maybe some of the other pairs...
The UHF radio channel plan for all units operating on the Thruway Authority's system is standard for all users. The maintenance channels mentioned above are already programmed into the franchise tow trucks' TA radios. That being said, tows will remain on the A/B Channels for their respective division in order to (a) coordinate with Troop T units already on scene of jobs (shut lanes, etc.), (b) update incoming units (tows often beat other units to scenes), and (c) to take initial assignments and give final dispositions to the dispatchers (the new maintenance channels are NOT monitored in Albany).

Last edited:

k2hz

Database Admin
460.5875, 97.4

Thanks for confirming Verona! That completes the list for the Syracuse Division.

I am still looking for sombody in southwestern Erie or Chatauqua Co. to confirm the west end of the Buffalo Div:

Westfield 460.3125 123.0
Silver Creek 460.6125 123.0

Chauffeur6 is looking for monitoring confirmation on these before he adds them to the database although we have fairly relaible info from other sources.

We are also looking for frequencies for the Albany Div maintenance sections. Albany Div PL will be 123.0 and the most likely frequencies are 460.3125, 460.5875, 460.6125 or 460.6375. I don't have info on the maintenance section names for the Albany Div like I have for Buffalo and Syracuse.

Mtnrider posted some other possible frequencies for Greene/Ulster/Columbia Co area earlier in this thread.

There should be activity when they are plowing or salting. The communications are informal since the Thruway HQ Dispatcher does not monitor the maintenance channels. You may need to listen for mention of mileposts or locations to know which section you are hearing.

Each maintnenance section is 20-30 miles and will be covered from a single tower at an interchange or rest area so it will not be heard over a wide area like the 453.425/525 system.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
I believe the Maintenance sections might be ALbany, Selkirk, Catskill , Kingston... I know theres yards there...someone with more knowledge can correct

svfd17

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/389)

Anyone know what frequency cover the Rockland section?

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Svfd17 thats what were trying to plot There seems to be 4 or so freq that jump up and down the system....best to do is load them all in your scanner and report what you hear. i have them in mine but i am never home during day. and i also loaded them in my portable when i venture closer to the t-way system

k2hz

Database Admin
I believe the Maintenance sections might be ALbany, Selkirk, Catskill , Kingston... I know theres yards there...someone with more knowledge can correct

I believe that is correct and I have confirmed the names Catskill & Kingston from a Thruway document but there must be a least one more on the west end. The Albany Division extends to MP 200 so there would need to be a Maintenance Section somwehere around Fonda to cover 170-200.

I have a Thruway document indicating there is also a "Berkshire Maintenance Section" to cover the Berkshire spur.

The Dispatchers on 453.425/525 occasionaly do a roll call of their maintenance sections like when they broadcast weather information. That is how I confirmed the number and names of sections in my area to know what to look for. Recent info on the Thruway website indicates a total of 21 maintenance sections that cover the 4 divisions.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
"Albany Division extends to MP 200 so there would need to be a Maintenance Section somwehere around Fonda to cover 170-200."

Amsterdam???? I would think for that section? Just a guess

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Here's a list of all licensed sites/frequencies that have not yet been positively identified. It's important to note that not all of these are actually in use, but is merely a list broken down by county of what frequency is licensed where for potential usage as a maintenance repeater. In some cases, there are frequencies that are already in use nearby that are licensed at adjacent sites, such as the 460.3125 licensed at New Paltz, even though it's the active frequency for Newburgh Maintenance. So please, make sure to compare anything you hear with the already confirmed entries in the DB to make sure you're not hearing something that has already be identified! Hopefully this list will provide a good starting point for anyone interested in listening and helping to identify the rest of the maintenance repeaters not already listed in the DB.

Buffalo Division (123.0 PL)

Chautauqua County
460.3125 Brocton

Erie County
460.6125 Angola

New York Division (97.4 PL)

Ulster County
460.3125 New Paltz (same frequency as Newburgh Maintenance)
460.3625 New Paltz

Westchester County
453.2125 Ardsley
453.8375 Hastings-On-Hudson
460.2125 Larchmont
453.6125 Tarrytown
460.0250 West Harrison

Albany Division (123.0 PL)

Albany County
460.3000 Albany
460.3125 Albany

Columbia County
453.2375 East Chatham
460.3125 East Chatham

Greene County
453.2625 Catskill
460.0500 Catskill
460.3125 Catskill
453.2625 New Baltimore
460.3125 New Baltimore

Montgomery County
453.2625 Palatine
460.3125 Palatine

Schenectady County
453.2625 Rotterdam

Ulster County
453.2625 Kingston
460.0500 Kingston
460.3125 Kingston
453.2625 Saugerties
453.6375 Saugerties
460.0500 Saugerties
460.3125 Saugerties

Last edited:

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Well that was quick...............Good Job This is Greene County there license is wrong....

Columbia County
453.2625 Catskill
460.0500 Catskill
460.3125 Catskill

Last edited:

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
I live down here in sw NY, in Chautauqua county near the state line. I'd be happy to help you out in ID'ing the freqs you have for down here. I've plugged the Westfield and Silver Creek freqs into my radio and will see and let you know of what I hear. I have been parked on the Westfield one all afternoon but so far have heard nothing. Some heavy snow is on the way... perhaps that will bring these freqs a little more activity.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. I'm not exactly sure how to ID the division I'm hearing by the truck numbers (as someone described earlier on this thread) but I'll do my best!

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Truck Numbers are coded.......3 digit are supervisors as i remember 4 and 5 digits are plow trucks etc... the numbers i hear most often on the albany line is 2xx......some plow trucks could be 25433 for example...wreckers mostly begin in 5's ..roadside begin 6xx theres a list someplace that spells it out better than my memory

k2hz

Database Admin
I live down here in sw NY, in Chautauqua county near the state line. I'd be happy to help you out in ID'ing the freqs you have for down here. I've plugged the Westfield and Silver Creek freqs into my radio and will see and let you know of what I hear. I have been parked on the Westfield one all afternoon but so far have heard nothing. Some heavy snow is on the way... perhaps that will bring these freqs a little more activity.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. I'm not exactly sure how to ID the division I'm hearing by the truck numbers (as someone described earlier on this thread) but I'll do my best!
Thanks for listening! Let us know what you hear.

There is a list of truck numbers on the wiki: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Thruway_Authority_(NY))

Silver Creek should be 47# and Westfield 48#.

Their procedure in my area is very informal. It sound like CB at times with mostly first names so truck numbers may not help.

Mention of mileposts and locations like interchanges, rest areas or bridges may be more helpful to pin it down.

For a list of interchanges and mileposts see: New York State Thruway Authority: Travel Tools: Interchange Listing with Mileposts

Last edited:

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
I was just listening on 460.3125 and heard some coms! There was a truck on the road talking to some sort of base that they were calling "the shop" (where they park the trucks I assume.) A truck number was said over the air at the very beginning of the conversation, but I didn't catch it. However, the base did request the truck "go and check on the west end and make sure everything's O.K. down there." I assume this is the west end of the thruway, meaning that this freq can probably be safely ID'd as Westfield. It was coming in really clear so it couldn't have been much farther away than that.

I'll keep listening and let you know of anything else. I may set up my recorder on this freq tonight as it has now begun snowing and things could heat up on there really quick over the next few hours.

Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.