• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-5710 Programming HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im am attempting to program my TK-5710 - V.3. I have the software KPG-95DG (K3)?

After setting up the Com Port and attempting to read- the radio switches to "Program" as seen on the LCD screen and the computer thinks about it, but maintains 0/3259 Blocks... Then Error, Check the Connection. Retry or Cancel.

I have the prolific driver installed. And in the Device manager everything looks good, using a usb cable from the same manufacturer I get all of my Cables from. (from China...) I've never had a problem like this before.

I've tried switching to all of the different USB ports, uninstalled and reinstalled the KPG Software. Same with Prolific... Im at a loss

Any Help is very appreciated!! Thanks!!

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sounds like a communications error.
I've programmed these TK-5710's without issue with an old laptop and the Kenwood factory USB programming cable.

Sounds like a communications error.
I've programmed these TK-5710's without issue with an old laptop and the Kenwood factory USB programming cable.

When you say old laptop? Im using a Windows 7 Intel Core i3 32bit desktop. Is my computer the problem?

And what part of the Communications is the Error?? :) I have never had a problem programming radios really so i dont really know the troubleshooting terms.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm using Windows 7 also.

I suspect it's your programming cable, but I don't know how you'd prove it without having the correct one on hand to test against.

The PC laptop I use at work works just fine with other Kenwood programming cables and radios. Never had an issue with any of them using the factory cables.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
It might be a driver issue. Are you aware of the common problem with Prolific drivers? Many of the Prolific devices (especially from China) are using counterfeit chips. Some time ago, Prolific modified their drivers to not respond to the counterfeit models. The workaround is to use an older Prolific driver and to disable the automatic updates so that Windoze does not overwrite the older driver with a newer version.

You can find more specific info regarding older Prolific drivers at Miklor Radio Information Site - Miklor

John

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Im am attempting to program my TK-5710 - V.3. I have the software KPG-95DG (K3)?

After setting up the Com Port and attempting to read- the radio switches to "Program" as seen on the LCD screen and the computer thinks about it, but maintains 0/3259 Blocks... Then Error, Check the Connection. Retry or Cancel.

I have the prolific driver installed. And in the Device manager everything looks good, using a usb cable from the same manufacturer I get all of my Cables from. (from China...) I've never had a problem like this before.

I've tried switching to all of the different USB ports, uninstalled and reinstalled the KPG Software. Same with Prolific... Im at a loss

Any Help is very appreciated!! Thanks!!

Are you aware that the radio you are trying to program is a transceiver ,not just a simple scanner.
I have seen multiple posts and have had dozens of inquiries - people wanting to listen to P 25 and desperate to find a radio to receive it and someone to program it for them.

Because P 25 is not normally used in amateur radio, the normal avenues used for amateur radio equipment doesn't really apply to public service radios.
Had you called the technical service dept of Kenwood, they would probably ask you what vendor you obtained your radio from and refer you back to that vendor.
Most two way radio shops has to buy a license to obtain the software necessary to program most two way radios, and the way the manufacturer keeps you from obtaining that software is by charging an exuberant fee for the license and by making it very difficult to program.
Where the cable comes from doesn't really matter, as long as it is the right programming cable.

Motorola went out of their way for many years to require a RIB and a computer that ran in DOS to program their radios. The fine for anyone caught sharing software was so steep that it kept most average Joe's from working or programming their radios.

Radio's used for LMRS and PLMRS are designed not to be user programmable.
Not to stand on my soap box and preach.

You probably have something set up wrong - the cable, computer and radio aren't talking to each other.
Find someone that runs a Two Way radio shop that is willing to program it for you.
Send the software and cable back to the vendor, most times that is enough that the vendor will go out of their way to resolve your problem.

Yes I have had the same problem with counterfeit Prolific drivers and Chinese cables.
With Windows 8 - 10, I choose not to download the drivers and let the computer find the drivers and upload them for me.

Last edited:

BCSAR522

Premium Subscriber
I am experiencing a similar issue with a TK-5810 and a TK-5910 in our fleet, but only with this one vehicle. I assume it has something to do with firmware that may be different from the other vehicle radios. Since they are non-critical codeplug updates, I will play with it over the next few weeks. I am curious to see what you discover in the meantime. I normally deal with XTS/XTL/APX on the Motorola side of things and the USB interfacing for those has made things brainless.

On another note, who is your cable made by?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am experiencing a similar issue with a TK-5810 and a TK-5910 in our fleet, but only with this one vehicle. I assume it has something to do with firmware that may be different from the other vehicle radios. Since they are non-critical codeplug updates, I will play with it over the next few weeks. I am curious to see what you discover in the meantime. I normally deal with XTS/XTL/APX on the Motorola side of things and the USB interfacing for those has made things brainless.

On another note, who is your cable made by?

Newer KPG version with older radio firmware version won't trigger this error. It's either a power/grounding/connection issue or a problem with the programming cable.

If you can pull the radio firmware version by holding the PF3 button (center button, bottom row) and powering on as well as the KPG-95 version, I can help you figure out what the issue is.

LKA-RF

I know this is a month old thread, however I have seen this issue occur with several 10 series radios.
I have found that forgoing the programming cable and using a standard DB-25 to DB-9 straight through serial cable from the computer to the ACC Port on the mobile worked every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.