Torn Between These Two Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muilisx

Greetings,

I'm new here to the forums, and pretty much a beginner to the scanner world. I've always been a fan of 2 way radios when going hiking etc etc back to when I was a kid fooling around with cheap toy ones. I'm in the market to buy my first actual scanner as all I have is a pair of the Cobra CXT385s which are just your regular 2 way radio. I always find myself scrolling through the channels 1-22 up then down, up then down looking for someone transmitting but I never hear anything. That's probably because these are set to a certain frequency which 1 I don't know what it is, and 2 someone would have to be on that same frequency transmitting on one of those channels. So, with that said I decided it's time to actually buy a scanner so I can actual find things to listen to.

For the past 3 days or so I've been looking into the following 2 scanners. I even went as far as looking at better antennas for them.

The first one is the

Uniden BC75XLT

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC75X...&qid=1487934826&sr=1-3&keywords=radio+scanner

The second one is the Baoteng UV-5R

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5...?ie=UTF8&qid=1488011710&sr=8-3&keywords=UV-5R

Now, the Uniden can't transmit as it's just a scanner but the Baoteng can although you technically need a license to do so. However, I wouldn't be transmitting on it on random things I'm listening to. The only time I would transmit on it is if I was out with friends hiking or camping or doing something where they had 2 way radios but didn't have a 3rd for me to use. I would find their frequency etc etc.

I like these both. I've watched a bunch of YT videos on them both but I'm TORN between them. I really have no clue which one I really want to get. I'm so torn, I might have to buy both just to have them to ease my mind lol.

If I went with the Uniden, I would go ahead, and buy the better antenna for it which from my research is

https://www.amazon.com/UpBright-Ant...099468&sr=8-1&keywords=UNIDEN+BC75XLT+ANTENNA

if I went with the Baoteng, I would go ahead, and buy the better antenna for it which from my research is

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hypa...&qid=1488099510&sr=8-7&keywords=UV-5R+ANTENNA

I'm just not sure which route I want to go. Sure, the Baoteng is cheaper but I kind of like the cosmetic look of the Uniden more. However, the Baoteng actually comes with a charging dock which is neat while the Uniden doesn't. Of course, that shouldn't be a big factor but it's neat. The Uniden comes with the cable for programming if you wanted to use the software but the Baoteng, I would have to spend an extra $10 for it. The Baoteng, with the better antenna, and the cable would be around $45, and the Uniden would be around $80.

Now, most of you are WELL BEYOND my skill level in this field / hobby, and I would like to get on board. These are the two scanners I would like to choose from but by all means if you know of one better for a beginner feel free to show me. However, regarding these two only which one do you think would be better for me? I'm not new to the electronic world as I can build / repair a computer with my eyes closed but when it comes to scanners I am new.

Thanks for your time!

pb_lonny

A scanner will work much better for actually scanning frequencies and listening to stuff. Depending on where you live you might need a digital scanner which are MUCH more expensive.

n2jtx

I saw the title of this thread and the first thing that came to mind was the 1970's tune "Torn Between Two Lovers". Now it is stuck in my head - damn you! :lol:

Anyhow, I see you are here on Long Island. Curious whereabouts since systems and frequencies in use vary between Nassau (my home county) and Suffolk (where I work).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Neither is appropriate. There are many digital trunked system in the Long Island area, including P25 and DMR. You'll want a scanner that can handle both.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Remember you get what you pay for. You buy junk you will receive junk.

Bad idea for any of those radios. You are limited and will end of with lots of regrets.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Of these two low cost choices, I would recommend the BC75XLT. It has more channels, more frequency bands and scans much faster (90 ch/sec vs about 3 ch/sec) compared to the UV-5R (which is not really a scanner). Of course you will not be able to monitor trunking or digital systems but according to the following RR database listing for your area (assuming this is your area), there is still a lot of analog frequencies to monitor. Digital capable scanners start at around $350.
New York City County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

kc2kth

Wasn't it here someplace last week I read about a ham who destroyed a new LG washer in his house using one of those Chinese "amateur" hts? Make mine Icom (apologies to Marvel). As for scanning, even good amateur hts make poor scanners, especially if you want to hear anything trunked.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Wasn't it here someplace last week I read about a ham who destroyed a new LG washer in his house using one of those Chinese "amateur" hts?

I'm calling BS on this. If it did happen, it would be because the HT was keyed too close to an unshielded logic board inside the washer. Any damage that occurred would be due to inadequate shielding on the logic board, not because of the HT being off frequency or having inadequate spectral purity.

CCRs are not as high quality as Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, and other "big name" radio companies, but blaming a CCR for the failure of a washing machine is just stupid.

majoco

Stirrer
I know they're a bit ancient now - I have two Uniden BCT8's that work well and do analogue trunking - not that is much around here. The computer control from Butel works well too. Reasonably cheap used - not available new any more.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Stick with a true scanner that will be compatible to scan the agencies in your area. The Baofeng will scan but is not a scanner and does not have the necessary features. You would also NOT be happy with the quality of the Baofeng receiver.

John AC4JK

Muilisx

Thanks for the replies.

Again, I'm a beginner. I'm not looking for anything more than $100. I've seen a ton of videos online with a lot of people with the UV-5R. I've also read a lot that a lot of people like it. You get the better antenna for it, and it has really good reception. I like the UV-5R because I could get my license, and have fun with it talking to people etc etc.

if I was going to spend a little more, and only listen without the option to transmit then I would get the BC75XLT. I read a lot about that one too, and a lot of people like it. Just trying to figure out which route I should go to start off just having fun.

Steve, you linked the wrong area. I'm in suffolk which is two sections over to the right.

Suffolk County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Again, I'm not a pro. I'm not looking to spend $300-$500 on a radio. I just want something more fun to use than my regular cobra 2 way. I want to be able to listen to random stuff. Both of these units can do that, Yes, the Baofeng is cheap but it's really not a piece of junk. A ton of people have them.

I'm just trying to figure out out of THOSE TWO, which would be better off for ME....a " beginner "

I could always buy both, and solve the issue lol but I just would like 1 for right now. Considering my current financial situation, I'll most likely have to snatch the UV-5R for right now, and get the 75XLT when I can. Just wanted to ask you guys which route I should go OUT OF THOSE TWO. One replied, don't get neither of those two but that's not an option. Those are the two I'm looking at. However, if you can link me one $100 and lower that's BETTER than those two, feel free to link them but I'm not looking into anything more expensive right now. I'm sure I'll be able to listen to a good chunk of stuff with either one. I'm also moving back down south to FL within the next year so I have to look into that as well.

Thanks

bigcam406

another option is to look for a used digital handheld. GRE PSR 500 or the Uniden 396XT, i have seen them going for decent prices. that way you have more options for your listening pleasure.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't it here someplace last week I read about a ham who destroyed a new LG washer in his house using one of those Chinese "amateur" hts? Make mine Icom (apologies to Marvel). As for scanning, even good amateur hts make poor scanners, especially if you want to hear anything trunked.

this is pure made up nonsense. lol. i know a ham who cannot afford anything but Baofengs and only has a technician license. he operates exclusively with these radios and never has had any problems with them, at all. he prob does not have a washing machine or a dryer, but still. my advice, 436HP. great handheld and my favorite scanner BY FAR and I own many.

bigcam406

Status
Not open for further replies.