Trunking: Data Noise Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert-Rat

I have a Radio Shack Pro-96 scanner, a friend has a Radio Shack Pro-528. Both are programmed (separate bands) with two trunking police agencies (La Quinta California and Palm Desert, California) and several other local non-trunked public service frequencies (Indio, AMR, CHP, etc.). We have no problem with the non-trunked transmissions.

Both trunking systems are EDACS; and use the same frequencies (8) but, of course, different talk groups. There are times when my Pro-96 "buzzes" for a second; but the Pro-528 continues the buzzing until it's really annoying. And of course, the Pro-528 misses several transmissions while the buzzing continues.

I assume that this buzzing is data being transmitted, which my Pro-96 filters fairly quickly, but the Pro-528 doesn't. (Neither does my Uniden BCT8, but that whole device has other problems, too.)

Does anyone know what's going on here and what I can do about reducing the buzzing in the friend's Pro-528? This seems to have started when I added the second trunked band to his system, but I can't be certain. The frequencies have been entered into each radio in the proper order. . . I can't figure out how to get this solved other than to delete the second trunked band.

We both work for the Riverside Sheriff's Dept as volunteer COP members, so we'd like to have both of these EDACS bands available on our scanners.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

DickH

I have a Radio Shack Pro-96 scanner, a friend has a Radio Shack Pro-528. Both are programmed (separate bands) with two trunking police agencies (La Quinta California and Palm Desert, California) and several other local non-trunked public service frequencies (Indio, AMR, CHP, etc.). We have no problem with the non-trunked transmissions.

Both trunking systems are EDACS; and use the same frequencies (8) but, of course, different talk groups. There are times when my Pro-96 "buzzes" for a second; but the Pro-528 continues the buzzing until it's really annoying. And of course, the Pro-528 misses several transmissions while the buzzing continues.

I assume that this buzzing is data being transmitted, which my Pro-96 filters fairly quickly, but the Pro-528 doesn't. (Neither does my Uniden BCT8, but that whole device has other problems, too.)

Does anyone know what's going on here and what I can do about reducing the buzzing in the friend's Pro-528? This seems to have started when I added the second trunked band to his system, but I can't be certain. The frequencies have been entered into each radio in the proper order. . . I can't figure out how to get this solved other than to delete the second trunked band.

We both work for the Riverside Sheriff's Dept as volunteer COP members, so we'd like to have both of these EDACS bands available on our scanners.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Since no one in the California Forum has replied, I'll take a shot at it.
1) They are not BANDS. In the scanners they are BANKS.
2) If the scanner is trunking properly you should NEVER hear the data channel (buzzing).
3) La Quinta & Palm Desert are both on the Riverside county trunking system and are both on the DESERT site. It's all explained here: http://www.scanriverside.com/rso.php
You don't need to put LaQ & Palm D. in separate banks, but their Talk Groups can be in separate SUB-BANKS within the same bank, if you want.
Read your manuals carefully!

Status
Not open for further replies.