• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication *New* G4 and G5 pagers/ somewhat limited scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
Today is the day my friends. I am now formally releasing Firmware R11N2 to everyone. It has been approved on the Michigan system. To download this version of the Firmware and PPS send an email to p25firmware@unication.com it will auto respond with a short message and a download link. If you have any questions please let me know.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for letting us know.

Is there a list of changes in the firmware?

Is there a way to preserve the older version, in case we run into trouble or prefer the old one, and need to go back to the old version?

I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight.

Ben

Today is the day my friends. I am now formally releasing Firmware R11N2 to everyone. It has been approved on the Michigan system. To download this version of the Firmware and PPS send an email to p25firmware@unication.com it will auto respond with a short message and a download link. If you have any questions please let me know.

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for letting us know.

Is there a list of changes in the firmware?

Is there a way to preserve the older version, in case we run into trouble or prefer the old one, and need to go back to the old version?

I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight.

Ben

The priority issue, multiselect and a bunch of ui changes. If you want to go back let me know and ill get you the previous utility.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I performed a battery pull and that seems to have fixed it. Probably should have done that prior to posting. Sorry.

kc2smb

Audio Fix ?

Does this firmware fix the audio problems that have plagued this unit ?

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
Does this firmware fix the audio problems that have plagued this unit ?

From what I have heard from people who have experienced this issue no but we are actively addressing that issue. No matter how much I try even with units that were reported to have issues with audio I have never been able to replicate the issue.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
"Audio problems that have plagued this unit" ??
can you elaborate on that so i can be on the look out for it with my unit.

kc2smb

The audio will crash. Results in about 10 percent and very distorted. Sounds just like a blown speaker. Even sounds like that with audio files when you change selector, i.e. "Normal Scan" etc. it will self correct or you can remove battery and do a hard reset and it corrects it. Very frustrating as aside from that it is a great unit. Ugh !

county

Premium Subscriber
Future G4/G5 Firmware Feature Wishlist

I'm grateful for the resolved trunking-priority issue, and fast-access to changing zones, with R11N2!

I realize this may be annoying to see on the day the new FW comes out, but here are some 'scannist' wish-list items for a future FW update. I realize some of these may already be in the works. Keep up the great work David and Unication!

1. TG ID Hold (invoked by front-panel manual selection of TG, or a 'hold' soft-key of currently-active TG)
2. If TG ID Priority-Scan is used, add ability to specify the number of priority TGs. I think most users typically only practically need 1-2 priority TGs that preempt everything else. In the current implementation, with a large scan-list, preempt priority ability for any talkgroup 'above' the active one is problematic on a busy system.
3. Adjustable TG ID-scan hold-delay duration, by TG ID.
4. TG-ID/conventional-channel scan temporary and 'permanent' lockout
5. Trunking User-ID alpha-tags displayed on screen
6. Trunking User-ID alerting option (could be very useful even for the pager-crowd)
7. Trunking Site Alpha Tag displayed on-screen

(I realize the ones below may be pushing it, but here goes!)
-Multi-system trunking scan in same Zone/Channel
-Mix conventional/trunking scan in same Zone/Channel
-Option to allow 'Menu' not to be interrupted by live radio-traffic

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Oh that is pretty much what i just experienced after my firmware update. Thats the first time i have experienced it. Battery pull fixed it for me. I did go ahead and re-do the firmware just in case.

ccfd7031

From what I have heard from people who have experienced this issue no but we are actively addressing that issue. No matter how much I try even with units that were reported to have issues with audio I have never been able to replicate the issue.

I'm a user that has this volume issue. Most days it renders my G5 completely unusable unless I'm inside all day. I can't say for sure obviously but my problems seem to be initiated by heat. It's fine inside but I can walk out to the car (50 feet, 85-90 degrees) and I'll almost completely lose the audio within 1 to 5 minutes. It USUALLY clears up after a few minutes once back inside a building. Sometimes it will clear up in the car and sometimes not.

I'll try this new firmware but if you need me to experiment or do any tests just let me know.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
It's very nice to be able to switch zones much more easily with the firmware update.

Honestly though, I'd prefer one less button to click. Instead of having to press Z/C, scroll to desired zone, Select, and finally, Save, how about just using the joystick/multidirection click to take the place of the Select and Save button presses? Getting those clicks in, especially on a busy system, can be tricky too. If there's anyway to enable menu operation during active reception, that would be a big improvement.

I'm really looking forward to Phase 2, talkgroup hold, and and talkgroup skip.

Keep up the great work, and have a great weekend,
Ben

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
It's very nice to be able to switch zones much more easily with the firmware update.

Honestly though, I'd prefer one less button to click. Instead of having to press Z/C, scroll to desired zone, Select, and finally, Save, how about just using the joystick/multidirection click to take the place of the Select and Save button presses? Getting those clicks in, especially on a busy system, can be tricky too. If there's anyway to enable menu operation during active reception, that would be a big improvement.

I'm really looking forward to Phase 2, talkgroup hold, and and talkgroup skip.

Keep up the great work, and have a great weekend,
Ben

Agree, can't wait for Phase II.. You can also hit the center joystick button after selecting the zone, you don't have to hit Select. You do still have to hit save..

cpetraglia

I would like to announce as of today The Ham Station is a dealer for Unication G5 pagers.
Congratulations. I have been on a forced RR vacation and did not know you finally got it.
I am interested in a new Base/Charger for mine. PM me with your best price.

Chuck

JASII

Memory Capacity
Unication *New* G4 And G5 Pagers/Somewhat Limited Scanner

I just did the updates and a battery pull. It all seemed to go smoothly. The drive to work with it tomorrow morning will be the next test.

kc2smb

Overheat

Hmmm. Re the message about audio problem being related to heat is very interesting. That is the same scenario I had. Would be home listening but go outside, clip it to my visor and get down the road and BAM ! Maybe David could take a know problem unit and put on car visor for a few minutes and see what happens.

kc2smb

Frustration

So yesterday I am listening to the Albany NY P25 trunked system. I get out of work and start the drive home. Noticed audio has ' crashed '. Note that this is a replacement unit that was sent to replace original G5 that had this issue. So I pull over and do a battery pull. Presto ! I'm back in service. I have also noticed a couple of times I have turned the unit on and it does not properly ' load up ' and does not lock on the control channel if trunking or receive anything if conventional position. When this happens there is no voice prompt i.e. Normal Scan. Usually turning it off and back on corrects this. It is VERY frustrating as this unit has such potential. I was asked to make a recommendation for a large public safety application but at this point I am not able to. I guess I will deal with its problems because of its ability to receive simulcast systems when it's working but can not recommend it in its current condition for mission critical communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.