Uniden Remote Head Project

mancow

Database Admin
I'm trying to clear up some Raspberry Pi 4 USB operation issue that I also noticed with the Teensy board.

After doing some testing it seems to be something about the way the Teensy boards and the Pis handle USB. Windows must do some sort of proper reset inside the radio's USB handling. I can disconnect Proscan and reconnect it all day long and it connects back just fine.

If I pull the USB when using the Teensy based version about 4 times I have to do a radio power cycle. If I pull the usb from the Pi and reinsert it I generally have to do a radio power cycle every time to re-establish comms even though the radio presents the (push . for) serial menu and appears as if it is recognizing the USB connection normally. It seems they aren't releasing the port fully and is assigning incrementally newer USB port locations(maybe...seems so using lsusb command but haven't really logged it to be sure). I tried all sorts of USB power toggle and reset commands but once it goes dumb like that there's no getting back into it.

I've tried all sorts of things like:

sudo ./uhubctl -l 1-1 -p 3 -a off
sudo ./uhubctl -l 1-1 -p 3 -a on

sudo ./uhubctl -l 2 -a off
sudo ./uhubctl -l 2 -a on

sudo udevadm trigger --action=remove /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1/
sudo usb_modeswitch -v 0x1965 -p 001a --reset-usb

Once it goes dumb I have to power cycle the radio even though the radio still presents the PUSH . FOR SERIAL MODE menu and appears as if it's recognizing the USB normally. The connection just seems to go dormant and doesn't pass any data.

mancow

Database Admin
Mancow, I found this link, see if it will help you, it look like there is a difference between the Pi3 and Pi4 with the resetting the USB's

Thanks, I should clarify that the commands you linked to work. I can turn the ports off and on but the radio doesn't respond even though it appears to have been reset. The ports ar still binding somehow.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
This maybe unrelated but hoping it’s related... I am a ham and a scanner enthusiast. I hang out on DMR using the Connect Systems 800D with the BFD. BFD stands for big freakin display. It’s this display I’d like to pair up with the SDS200. It’s open source and has the capability to display up to 4 radios simultaneously. Because it’s a larger display I can quickly glance at it in my vehicle and catch what’s on the display without squinting and paying more attention to the radio’s display than I should. Trouble is, I haven’t learned of anyone who has come up with the patch to make the BFD display the SDS200. I was wondering if you might know if someone has tried to pair this larger display up with the SDS200?

mancow

Database Admin
This maybe unrelated but hoping it’s related... I am a ham and a scanner enthusiast. I hang out on DMR using the Connect Systems 800D with the BFD. BFD stands for big freakin display. It’s this display I’d like to pair up with the SDS200. It’s open source and has the capability to display up to 4 radios simultaneously. Because it’s a larger display I can quickly glance at it in my vehicle and catch what’s on the display without squinting and paying more attention to the radio’s display than I should. Trouble is, I haven’t learned of anyone who has come up with the patch to make the BFD display the SDS200. I was wondering if you might know if someone has tried to pair this larger display up with the SDS200?

I took a quick look at it. It would require a library written for it.

mancow

Database Admin
I have BCD436HP working now as well. It tests to see what radio is attached then selects the proper model. I will have to go to the remote receiver site and pull the BCD536HP to add that in as well since I sold mine here in the shack. I will have to make a new font to support the 436/536 special characters too.

I know... it's taking an eternity but again, I'm doing this with about 3 hours a week to work with.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
What a great Christmas present!!!! Thank you for all your hard work. I think you will need more than 5 though as I know I’m in for two!!!

garys

Premium Subscriber
This is good news. It would be great if you post detailed info on the hardware needed and a way to get the software. This would be a nice winter project.

mancow

Database Admin
This is good news. It would be great if you post detailed info on the hardware needed and a way to get the software. This would be a nice winter project.
Eventually, gotta at least try to break even on R/D cost first.

amseybold

Interesting, but there is a way to make a RH-96 work with the P2 now.
AND you can also use a Windows tablet with the old 996T USAD software to run any of the 996 series scanners as a remote.
So I think the real challenge would be to get it to work with the 100 or 200.
You could also use a Windows tablet with PROSCAN software as a remote.
Ok so I have the RH-96 with my BCT15X was getting ready to list both on ebay but it the control head can work with the SDS200 I will certainly keep it. All of these projects look great. So can the RH-96 be made to work with the SDS200 or do I wait for one of these other projects? Thanks Andy W6AMS

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Ok so I have the RH-96 with my BCT15X was getting ready to list both on ebay but it the control head can work with the SDS200 I will certainly keep it. All of these projects look great. So can the RH-96 be made to work with the SDS200 or do I wait for one of these other projects? Thanks Andy W6AMS
The RH-96 is not at all compatible with the SDS200.

mancow

Database Admin
Count me in as well, for at least 1. I'll even provide the display and an extra one of its the same display that was used on your last project.

It's a completely different display. Nothing about it is the same as the last version.

I'm trying to get the housing prints ironed out. They fit well but just have some imperfections I probably can't get past. They aren't going to work for sitting on a hot dash in the sun as they are just made of PLA. I plan on trying to make some from some better material in the future once I get the design finalized.

20201227_222826.jpg