Uniden Remote Head Project

W4WMH

@ra7850 @mancow

Been using the unit for a few months now, and it's holding up good in a high heat situation in a Ram X grip. No issues with power drops and all in a commercial vehicle after the first cold start of the day. Using an Anker high output power source in the power outlet for supply, and a second Micro USB cord to the SDS100 to lessen the power requirements through the Remote Head.

I've notice 2 issues.
1) When you use "Channel", type in a manual frequency, and go to hit "Channel" again, the softkeys are gone from the bottom of the screen. You can click in the appropriate place, and the function will work, but the text is not there.
2) I have 2 trunked systems, 1 EDACS & 1 DMRT3, that when using in Detailed Trunk view, show no data below the department portion. The screen is just blank. There is no "Channel" TG info, no RSSI, no net, no nothing. I can try to get a picture if you need one, but wanted to describe the issue first.

Uniden should have built something similiar to go with these radios to make vehicular use easier, so props to you gentlemen for filling the void.

ra7850

@ra7850 @mancow

Been using the unit for a few months now, and it's holding up good in a high heat situation in a Ram X grip. No issues with power drops and all in a commercial vehicle after the first cold start of the day. Using an Anker high output power source in the power outlet for supply, and a second Micro USB cord to the SDS100 to lessen the power requirements through the Remote Head.

I've notice 2 issues.
1) When you use "Channel", type in a manual frequency, and go to hit "Channel" again, the softkeys are gone from the bottom of the screen. You can click in the appropriate place, and the function will work, but the text is not there.
2) I have 2 trunked systems, 1 EDACS & 1 DMRT3, that when using in Detailed Trunk view, show no data below the department portion. The screen is just blank. There is no "Channel" TG info, no RSSI, no net, no nothing. I can try to get a picture if you need one, but wanted to describe the issue first.

Uniden should have built something similiar to go with these radios to make vehicular use easier, so props to you gentlemen for filling the void.

Let me take a look at what you've described and if necessary well see if we can remedy any issues that we find. Thanks for the positive comments.

Robert, Casey

mancow

Database Admin
I'll try to duplicate issue #1 and see what's up.

As for #2 usually this is the comma delimited data contains a comma error. Basically, a System Department and/or Channel contains a comma in the name. The code is looking to parse the fields at the commas and when an extra is encountered it throws everything off by one or more spaces after that location in the STS data string. I've spoken with Bob with Proscan about it and he came up with a method to work around it but I'm still trying to get my head around it and come up with a similar fix.

mancow

Database Admin
I'm not seeing issue number 1 on my version. Will need to compare the code. I mean the radio itself doesn't display them either but they appear once the frequency is accepted.

20211025_171625.jpg
20211025_171629.jpg
20211025_171557.jpg
20211025_171603.jpg

ra7850

I'll try to duplicate issue #1 and see what's up.

As for #2 usually this is the comma delimited data contains a comma error. Basically, a System Department and/or Channel contains a comma in the name. The code is looking to parse the fields at the commas and when an extra is encountered it throws everything off by one or more spaces after that location in the STS data string. I've spoken with Bob with Proscan about it and he came up with a method to work around it but I'm still trying to get my head around it and come up with a similar fix.

Thanks for your testing. Ill try and get the testing performed on mine tomorrow.

wyomingmedic

Had my remote for a couple weeks and have been playing with it. So far, I really like everything. There is a LOT of functionality in a tiny little unit.
Couple questions/thoughts though:

1. Is there a way to disassemble the case or is it press-fit together? I have a machine shop at my disposal and am thinking about fashioning up an aluminum housing instead of the plastic.

2. Is there or can there be an external power button to turn the head on? I don't like having it wired to ignition and would rather control things via a switch so I can listen when the vehicle is off. Can an ignition trigger be attached to the Pi where it acts like an ignition sense and turns things on and off nicely, while having a constant supply to the Pi?

3. My scanner acknowledge the GPS just fine, but I am not getting any kind of GPS lock. It just searches and searches without ever getting a signal. What am I missing?

4. On future cases, I see that there is space where someone could run short screws through the case in order to mount in from behind. It would be neat if there were points on the case that were marked, where the plastic was printed up quite thick and folks could secure it via some short self-tapping screws or something.

ra7850

Had my remote for a couple weeks and have been playing with it. So far, I really like everything. There is a LOT of functionality in a tiny little unit.

1. Is there a way to disassemble the case or is it press-fit together? I have a machine shop at my disposal and am thinking about fashioning up an aluminum housing instead of the plastic.

2. Is there or can there be an external power button to turn the head on? I don't like having it wired to ignition and would rather control things via a switch so I can listen when the vehicle is off. Can an ignition trigger be attached to the Pi where it acts like an ignition sense and turns things on and off nicely, while having a constant supply to the Pi?

3. My scanner acknowledge the GPS just fine, but I am not getting any kind of GPS lock. It just searches and searches without ever getting a signal. What am I missing?

4. On future cases, I see that there is space where someone could run short screws through the case in order to mount in from behind. It would be neat if there were points on the case that were marked, where the plastic was printed up quite thick and folks could secure it via some short self-tapping screws or something.

Send me an email at rayers@touch-scanner.com and we can chat about the cases. I can also help you with the GPS lock remotely. The case can be disassembled. It uses 4 black hex head screws.

Robert

W4WMH

I'm not seeing issue number 1 on my version. Will need to compare the code. I mean the radio itself doesn't display them either but they appear once the frequency is accepted.

View attachment 111265
View attachment 111267
View attachment 111268
View attachment 111269
The first picture is what I was referring to. Since the radio always has the physical keys to hit, you know where the "Channel" key is. On the remote head, there's no physical key, so sometimes I find myself poking around in the general area until I hit the right thing. If it's not a bug then I apologize, but on other screens the appropriate softkeys appear at the bottom.

The affected site does have a comma in the Site name. I am removing those now, and will report back if that clears up the issue.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin

I too have thought about that. The problem is it can't really be printed in one go. However, I think an adapter plate that attaches at the corner mount points could be developed. The adapter would serve both as a standoff for air flow and also house other more rugged mount points as you suggested

I'll try to find time to work up a design. If you want to post some ideas of dimensions that would be helpful.

mancow

Database Admin
I'm on a 24 hour shift, but when I can sit down with the head and a ruler, I'll put some thought into it.

Alright, thanks. I need to do some research on it myself. I think there might be somewhat of a pattern sort of like the Vesa monitor bolt pattern but I don't know, maybe not.

vanhalo

Received mine today. Got it working after my initial confusion about the control cable.
Revisiting this this thread helped me figure it out.
Now I have to figure out how to mount it in my Jeep and power it.The USB ports in the Jeep do not have enough power.
The SDS200 is installed under the drivers seat and thus far I have not been able to explore it's functionality since I had it sitting on my desk over 16 months ago.

mancow

Database Admin
I run mine in my jeep but mine is a 2010 Sahara with no built in plugs. Crazy they don't have enough current.