SDS100/SDS200: Uniden repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris1359

Kris1359
I just sent a brand new SDS100 for repair 7/2/2021. How long does it take for them to acknowledge they received it. Do you check at uniden.com. I tried with model number and serial number? I hope it doesn’t take to long.

MStep

I just sent a brand new SDS100 for repair 7/2/2021. How long does it take for them to acknowledge they received it. Do you check at uniden.com. I tried with model number and serial number? I hope it doesn’t take to long.

If you read through the posts here, Uniden does not have a good track record in that department. But just how "brand new" was your unit? Too late for you sadly, but the best option for a defective brand new unit is to return it to the dealer for refund or exchange.

Please keep us posted on the progress of your unit. Your experience will help many others decide on the purchase of a Uniden scanner.

Kris1359

Kris1359
It’s less than a month old. The place I bought it from has a ten day return policy. For a newbie that’s just opening the box and getting the battery charged and reading the manual, which doesn’t tell you a lot. I knew nothing about how to work it so by the time I figured out that it wasn’t working right it was too late. A lot of people on here helped me figure out it wasn’t working right. I think I just got a hold of a bad one. Their QC department must not be to good from what I’ve read.

MStep

It’s less than a month old. The place I bought it from has a ten day return policy. For a newbie that’s just opening the box and getting the battery charged and reading the manual, which doesn’t tell you a lot. I knew nothing about how to work it so by the time I figured out that it wasn’t working right it was too late. A lot of people on here helped me figure out it wasn’t working right. I think I just got a hold of a bad one. Their QC department must not be to good from what I’ve read.

Your misfortune can be other's good fortune in that there are lessons to be learned for those going forward with their own purchase plans.

* Always use either Amazon or Walmart as your dealer if possible as they generally offer 30 day return policy (check first of course).

* Always use a MAJOR credit card with a 25 - 30 day billing cycle. Buy at the beginning of the cycle, although not always necessary, but could be less complicated to effect a 25 - 30 return. As has been pointed out by others, use of a major credit card may also provide the much sought after extended warranty coverage. With most reputable cards, you can dispute the transaction and get a full refund within the time period if there is a problem with your unit.

If you do return a defective unit to a dealership, it is sometimes the best option to ask for a full refund in lieu of an exchange. The dealer may have received a bad batch of units, all with similar defect.

There are notorious stories here about really bad service after the sale. Keep checking in with them and keep a list of when your item was sent (insured I hope), when it finally did get logged into the Uniden system (average times seem to be 3 weeks to hardly, if ever). That's NOT the turn-around time--- that's they time they finally realize your package is there and get it logged in.

Turnaround times are (from your sending to you receiving) seem to be running 3 weeks to 3 months, depending on parts needed, if any, for your repair and luck.

Finally, miracles sometimes do happen and it's possible if your timing is just right, you might have it back in a month. It would be great if you would keep us posted on the progress of your unit.

I'm curious as to where you purchased your unit and at what price, but if you are shy about leaving that information here, please P.M. me the details.

Best of luck and we're all interested in your results.

trp2525

It’s less than a month old. The place I bought it from has a ten day return policy...
...I'm curious as to where you purchased your unit...
Possibly it was Ham Radio Outlet as they have a very short 10-day return policy. They also specifically state in their "Returns" policy (see the HRO page that I linked) that the 10-day return window starts on the purchase date and not the date that you actually receive your merchandise from their shipper (assuming it was an order that was shipped to you).

MStep

Possibly it was Ham Radio Outlet as they have a very short 10-day return policy. They also specifically state in their "Returns" policy (see the HRO page that I linked) that the 10-day return window starts on the purchase date and not the date that you actually receive your merchandise from their shipper (assuming it was an order that was shipped to you).

Well that's practically one of the worst return policies imaginable. Let's see--- it starts on the purchase date, you get it delivered 5 days later, and then you've got 5 days to return it ??? Why would anybody purchase an SDS unit from Ham Radio Outlet when you can get 25 or 30 day return privilege from Amazon or Walmart? My guess is that HRO would prefer not to get involved with customer returns. That stinks for mail order stuff, and may only be minimally useful if you live close enough to an HRO store to pick it up, bring it home, and set it up. Then you at least get most of the 10 days. Not a good way to go with an SDS radio-- for those units you want the MAXIMUM return time permissible.

Kris1359

Kris1359
I bought it from HRO. I got it at the going price right now. Back when I bought it you were lucky to find one. It took 7 or 8 days to get here. I would never ship anything FedEx it bounced around CA for 5 days. I’ve learnt my lesson. I had no idea I would have such bad luck. i Didn’t think it through. I love the scanner because I have a neighbor that has one. He had no problems with his. I will never buy from HRO again!

Kris1359

Kris1359
I have another SDS100 I bought from AMAZON and it works great. I’m just going to sell the one I sent to Uniden for repair. I bought it because it’s not to good here right now. It’s nothing to have 2 or 3 shootings in one night. Some are group shootings. Not sure what people are thinking now days.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I have another SDS100 I bought from AMAZON and it works great. I’m just going to sell the one I sent to Uniden for repair. I bought it because it’s not to good here right now. It’s nothing to have 2 or 3 shootings in one night. Some are group shootings. Not sure what people are thinking now days.
Where are you, Chicago or Minneapolis?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
HRO is a reputable dealer. I'd buy from them BEFORE some shady Amazon/Wal-Mart Marketplace warez peddler selling everything from lingerie to garden hoses. Yes, they have a 10 day return policy to prevent "rentals" but in my personal experience, I've bought a radio (Alinco DR-635T) and it went bad 32 days later (PA failed on VHF). Alinco's authorized repair told me their backlog was 60 days.

I called HRO and explained my situation, they agreed to exchange the unit. Always contact the store manager and politely explain the situation, I'd be willing to bet they would have exchanged the unit. HRO's bread and butter are serving hobbyists and hams. They've always stood behind every sale I've made with them and over 30 years, and tens of thousands spent, never had an issue exchanging/returning anything and the Alinco was surely outside of their policy.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
HRO is a reputable dealer. I'd buy from them BEFORE some shady Amazon/Wal-Mart Marketplace warez peddler selling everything from lingerie to garden hoses. Yes, they have a 10 day return policy to prevent "rentals" but in my personal experience, I've bought a radio (Alinco DR-635T) and it went bad 32 days later (PA failed on VHF). Alinco's authorized repair told me their backlog was 60 days.

I called HRO and explained my situation, they agreed to exchange the unit. Always contact the store manager and politely explain the situation, I'd be willing to bet they would have exchanged the unit. HRO's bread and butter are serving hobbyists and hams. They've always stood behind every sale I've made with them and over 30 years, and tens of thousands spent, never had an issue exchanging/returning anything and the Alinco was surely outside of their policy.

I agree with this...I've been a customer of HRO for a very long time and never had an issue with them or anything I bought from them. Always good to talk to the store manager or ASM and see what they can advise or do for you.

MStep

I in no way have tried to bad mouth HRO! It’s just my experience.

Regarding that "10 day from date of purchase"--- if in fact that is their printed policy, then those are the rules you agree to when you purchase. Any exception they give you would be a favor, not a requirement.

NA9X

Premium Subscriber
Could you tell us what your sds what doing and share your SN/mfg date? I just bought one through HRO and it came from their NH store. 383Z18......

Kris1359

Kris1359
Could you tell us what your sds what doing and share your SN/mfg date? I just bought one through HRO and it came from their NH store. 383Z18......
It wouldn’t receive anything for hours Than you could pick it up and it would work. the s/n 383z18000….. The mfg I don’t remember. I hope this helps plus I hope you get it before your 10 days are up so you can try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.