Uniden Scanner Mods & Accessories - SDS100 Internal GPS Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsgreene343

Premium Subscriber
This is my second Uniden scanner modified by Jon, my first was my BCD436HP, modified twice by Jon. The second time was to upgrade the GPS receiver to a much faster, and lower power consumption model. This time, I sent in my year-and-a-half-old SDS100 for the internal GPS receiver mod. I can tell you that Jon just keeps getting better and better at this. The mod is very well integrated into the radio, with the only external evidence being a third LED on the top front of the radio, and you can't install the belt clip knob anymore. That's because that is the only real space inside the scanner for the GPS receiver/antenna. The receiver warms up and starts receiving quickly, giving you a green LED to know it's powered up, and a flashing red/green when it has a 3D lock, and is giving your scanner a good position.

View attachment 81078View attachment 81079

I also took the opportunity to have Jon install a new, extended battery cover latch, one that he has designed and fabricates himself. It provides better leverage and feels more stout than the original. All-in-all, another great product from the Uniden Scanner Mods & Accessories team (of one).

View attachment 81080

The price is right, the work excellent, and shipping is fast. Take the leap, get GPS installed, you won't be disappointed.
Who do I contact to have this done?

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
I was able to get a battery clip from Jon a few months ago! I did ask about getting a gps for my 100 his reply there are none available. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the units become available again.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I was a fan of Jon, notwithstanding his somewhat checkered past. He repaired some cold-soldered connections that Uniden screwed up and installed an internal GPS on my SDS100 for $75. He was delayed in completing the work so he threw in one of his CNC-printed battery clips, too. Several years ago, I also bought a rechargeable GPS unit for my 436 from him. I don't use the scanner much now but I do know the GPS still works great.

I talked with him many times on the phone. He and Upman (not in that order) probably knew more about Uniden scanners than the 10 smartest people on this forum. I don't know why he left but I wish he'd come back.

ccsprague

While it is NOT internal, @mancow made a remote head for the SDS100/SDS200 that gives it GPS capabilities as well. It will not be $75.00 because of RPi prices, but the video << HERE >> will show you how cool it is. You could always fire him off a PM to see if one is available.
That's cool as hell. I'm definitely sending him a PM. I'd pay loads of money if I could tuck my scanner away and have integrated GPS.

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to take a stab and say no one, anywhere, is doing a GPS mod unless you want to take the project on yourself. Right?

garys

Premium Subscriber
Nobody is doing them commercially, which is most unfortunate.

I'm going to take a stab and say no one, anywhere, is doing a GPS mod unless you want to take the project on yourself. Right?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I meant someone that does it for other people. There was a person here who started a small busuness doing GPS installs for the SDS100 as well as the cold solder joint repair and other things. Unfortunately he has disappeared and no longer does that.

I'm not opposed to someone soldering in their mom's basement, so long as it works.

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I was reading that. I was fingers crossed someone picked up where Jon left off.

mancow

Database Admin
I've done it using an ATGM336H module and micro TTL to Rs232 converter but only for a close friend. I won't take on the effort and risk for others.

It's really not that bad but you do need some knowledge of what you're looking at.

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
I don't blame you. It's a pricey oops if something happens.

I'm OK with soldering small'ish things, but my hands aren't as dexterous as they used to be. I wouldn't want to even try.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
I was hoping I would find a different url for Jon since his appeared to be down, but according to you all, he is no longer providing services. We often purchased the battery clip from him for the 100's but now it seems that will not be happening anymore. Does anyone happen to personally know Jon, and could maybe get the 3d files for the clip for us to print some? I would really rather not have to redesign something that worked so well.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I was hoping I would find a different url for Jon since his appeared to be down, but according to you all, he is no longer providing services. We often purchased the battery clip from him for the 100's but now it seems that will not be happening anymore. Does anyone happen to personally know Jon, and could maybe get the 3d files for the clip for us to print some? I would really rather not have to redesign something that worked so well.
He's still selling these apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.