Uniden SDS100 & SDS200 Color Schemes

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
You guys are killing me here! Do you have any idea how much time I spent in this thread. It's four in the morning, I never went to bed last night. It's a good thing I'm snowed in today and it was already my day off.

Okay this made me chuckle.
Uniden did a good thing making a color display but there are so many options, I think this qualify s for information overload?

Bswartz95

I have a few scratches on my screen. Seems to happen pretty easily. The black background highlights these. Had to change it up to a brighter background.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I have a few scratches on my screen. Seems to happen pretty easily. The black background highlights these. Had to change it up to a brighter background.
I have some scratches on my 100 as well.

Whospoonbill

I think I've spent more time tinkering with the color options and field locations than I have programming my favorite lists! I've gone through a lot of trial and error because the colors on my computer screen don't quite look the same when they are applied to the scanner. I am really going for something that will look good in low light as well as bright sunlight.

Ultimately, I am tweaking a variation of the various shades of Sky Blue to look similar the to dash display of my vehicle. It's still a work in progress. Until my Explorer gets out of the shop (someone slid through a stop sign during a snow shower and hit it while my XYL was driving), I won't be satisfied on the colors.

View attachment 68521
How you get that color scheme

KD2YRK

Premium Subscriber
Is it bad that I've just ordered an SDS200 and playing with the colors is right up there with stuff I want to spend the coming weekend futzing around with ?

MStep

Is it bad that I've just ordered an SDS200 and playing with the colors is right up there with stuff I want to spend the coming weekend futzing around with ?

I would recommend starting off conservatively and perhaps change a few colors to customize your display, just to get the hang of things. On mine, one of the things I did was make the signal meter and PRIority display "yellow" for conventional channels and "blue" for trunked systems. In addition to color options, you can also customize your screen to show only the information your want displayed so as not to cause too much clutter.

If you are not familiar with the operation of the SDS series, time is probably better spend learning the various functions of the unit rather than getting caught up with screen colors. And don't forget to save your settings to Sentinel in the event you want to easily revert. I name all my Sentinel saves with date and save number, for example 220516-1, 220516-2, etc.

Have fun with your new "toy".

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Agree with the above. Some here thinks it needs Christmas lights :rolleyes:
A few contrasting colors help make the text stand out, especially on detail.

garys

Premium Subscriber
After returning from a long road trip, I decided to redo the display on my SDS200. I found that when driving, the screen was just too busy for me quickly find information I wanted.

I'll get a screen shot up when I can, but essentially I have what can be called an "Enhanced Simple" display. I removed the FL name, Service Types, RSSI, Filter, and other extraneous information. I have System, Department, Channel, Frequency, CTCSS, Talk Group ID, Talk Group Name, and a few other fields active. Much easier to pick out what I want.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It certainly took me long enough, but I got pictures of "Detail Trunk" and "Detail Conventional" as I set them up to be simpler and easier to pick out the data I actually want. If I had a SDS200 as a desktop, I'd use a more detailed set up, but this is good for mobile use. Detail Trunk.jpg

As you can see, there is a lot of information that isn't displayed. Since I have filtering dialed in I don't need that displayed or RSSI for that matter. Don't need FL name I know at a glance what that is. Don't need Service Type either as I now what those are. I also limited color schemes. I'll change that NFM to white when I have a minute. I could probably delete Lat/Long, but I like to have those in case I have to call someone with my location.

Detail Conventional.jpg

Same sort of thing for Conventional. I should mention that I like haveing the F/S/D information in the upper left corner. I have several FLs set to one Start Up Key and turn those on and off as I travel around. I could use the GPS for that, but prefer the autonomy of turning FLs on and off as I see fit. I do use GPS for several private trunking systems and eventually will use it for the new MA State Police Phase 2 system whenever that gets on line. I expect that to be a much more granular system in regard to the various "zones" than is the case with the current analog Type II system.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
It certainly took me long enough, but I got pictures of "Detail Trunk" and "Detail Conventional" as I set them up to be simpler and easier to pick out the data I actually want. If I had a SDS200 as a desktop, I'd use a more detailed set up, but this is good for mobile use. View attachment 121743

As you can see, there is a lot of information that isn't displayed. Since I have filtering dialed in I don't need that displayed or RSSI for that matter. Don't need FL name I know at a glance what that is. Don't need Service Type either as I now what those are. I also limited color schemes. I'll change that NFM to white when I have a minute. I could probably delete Lat/Long, but I like to have those in case I have to call someone with my location.

View attachment 121744

Same sort of thing for Conventional. I should mention that I like haveing the F/S/D information in the upper left corner. I have several FLs set to one Start Up Key and turn those on and off as I travel around. I could use the GPS for that, but prefer the autonomy of turning FLs on and off as I see fit. I do use GPS for several private trunking systems and eventually will use it for the new MA State Police Phase 2 system whenever that gets on line. I expect that to be a much more granular system in regard to the various "zones" than is the case with the current analog Type II system.

Out of curiosity, I see you have warm colors, how does that fair in sunlight? Any thoughts on cool colors in sunlight?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I haven't seen any real difference with the various color combinations. Those are the ones that work best for me.

Out of curiosity, I see you have warm colors, how does that fair in sunlight? Any thoughts on cool colors in sunlight?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I did some experimenting with "cool" colors today. I previously had a lot of green and today tried blue and purple. Again for me, the warm colors work best in all conditions. I tried a blue which was marginally viewable and then a purple, which was almost invisible against the black background.

I could try changing the back ground for the fields where I want to try cooler colors, but it's more effort that I'm interested in.

I remember a conversation with UPMan where he suggested if the colors didn't work well in bright sunlight I try either of the monochrome options. When I do that, I use white text on black background.

I wish the maximum brightness was higher than it is. I also looked for a contrast adjustment, but don't see it for the SDS scanners. There is one for the X36HP scanners, but I only use the 536HP inside, so it doesn't really matter.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Photo May 22, 12 36 23 PM.jpgPhoto May 22, 12 37 18 PM.jpg

100/200 are identical. Detailed / simple modes. Bright colors bother me but I need enough color difference side by side to quickly notice differences or they all look the same. o_O