Uniden.........You've got to be kidding me!!!

RFI-EMI-GUY

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Pub. L. 95-109; 91 Stat. 874, codified as 15 U.S.C. § 1692 –1692p, is not tolerant of bad debt collection practices or those who use shady practices to collect debt.

If a bill collector followed the BBB advice after your complaint, you should have bought a lottery ticket. That was a 1:500,000,000 shot.

It was a shady law office in Texas who buys debt old debt nearing statute of limitations, from medical practices and apparently focuses on "write offs" in the margins of the providers bookkeeping journal. They apparently "scare up" a lot of money this way. In this case an out of network provider decided to accept my son's insurance company payout and never bothered billing us for any outstanding amount. Their not having a copy of a legitimate bill was this debt collectors undoing. It was one case where my keeping good records paid out.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I hope Joe Bearcat reads this message. I have a recently acquired BCD325P2 that needs the rubber cover for the USB port. I called Uniden about 3 or 4 weeks ago & it was on back order. Called last week & they we in, but they would not sell me one. They wanted me to send the radio in to have them install the $2 part. So, $89 plus shipping, plus insurance for a Uniden tech to remove 6 screws, install the cover, replace 6 screws. Took me about 3 minutes.
I currently own 8 digital Uniden scanners. This policy is just WRONG. Anyone have a junker that's unrepairble that I can salvage the USB cover from?

Pissed off in NH

Have you tried inquiring on this site? It is odd that you can buy all manner of internal scanner parts, including a keypad for your model, without sending for repair. Maybe you talked to wrong department.

palmerjrusa

It looks like Paul's passing has made a huge difference in scanners with Uniden corporation. It's like they gave up on supporting them and their QC is very questionable. I think my next P25 Phase 1 & 2 receiver will be the G5 .

Owned a G5 for around a month now.
It's not even close, the G5 blows my Unidens out the water re sensitivity. It decodes P25 systems right out the box with its own little antenna that my Unidens don't decode at all, nothing, zip, nada.
The G5 is also commercial grade construction, great audio, great color screen, and phenomenal battery life.
Wished I'd purchased one ages ago, the G5 is now my handheld "scanner" of choice.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Uniden UV350
The Next Generation Vehicle Communicator

The Uniden® UV350 is the first 4G/LTE all-in-one in vehicle fleet communication device that delivers crystal clear cellular voice calls, Push-to-Talk Over Cellular, data applications and more. This device was designed specifically for commercial vehicles ensuring safer communication for professional drivers.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Uniden is between a rock and a hard place: they are the number one manufacturer of scanner radios, in a market that is slowly (and, in some places, not so slowly) going to encryption, compounded by the inherent problem of the technical difficulty of just setting up those radios to the listener's preferences.

So, in order to keep the company afloat, they charge for everything.

With that said, those who post questions like, "What would you like to see in the next generation of SDS?" are living in a make-believe dreamworld. Unless radio consumers are willing to pay upwards of $1000 for one radio to listen to their local DPW or school bus company...and little else...there is no 'next generation' of SDS coming.

And, from a business point of view, should there be.

Think: buggy whips.

I would like to see a stripped-down version of the SDS 100, a bloated radio. The bare bones. Remove the eye candy from the screen, go with B&W. Having said this, I don't know the longevity of the Uniden SDS 100 scanner or if they are planning on offering another version.

Since it remains to be seen if there will a next generation SDS 100, the jury is still out in this listener's opinion. However, I don't have a crystal ball. Folks can speculate. Some agencies might want to keep dispatch open. I don't know how you determined the cost of an imaginary prototype, LOL.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

sfb88

Since a lot of the complexity, filters, etc., of the SDS seems to be associated with the choice of receiver chip; I wonder if SDR is the only solution to dealing with the LSM issue. I wonder if there might be a more conventional approach.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Since a lot of the complexity, filters, etc., of the SDS seems to be associated with the choice of receiver chip; I wonder if SDR is the only solution to dealing with the LSM issue. I wonder if there might be a more conventional approach.
Yes there is. I think Uniden took the easiest & fastest route. If Uniden used a conventional receiver with a IQ-Demodulation section, then it would be perfect.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Uniden also hinted at features exclusive to an SDR based device, such as possibly a view of the ~2 MHz spectrum. None of those features ever materialized, and the bulk of the innovation likely died with Paul.

Using a $20 RTL chip as the basis for a $700 radio...probably not the ideal choice.

btt

Banned
Banned
From my experience, the RT8xx receiver parts are actually pretty good performance for what it is designed for. Frequency resolution isn't very good. The IF is far enough out that the close-in phase noise isn't an issue. The frequency resolution can be dealt with in software and doesn't cause any issues. The RT2838 device that is used in the USB devices isn't as impressive (8-bit ADC). Get rid of that part, add some narrow IF filtering before a better ADC, and you have the basis for a compact, good performance receiver. I understand the desire for breaking out a separate LNA, Mixer, attenuator, etc. I did that with this design: GitHub - tvelliott/superH_rev4: High performance narrow-band receiver. Most of the important parts are fabbed in the US. The superH is a 480MHz STM32H743 based SDR capable of decoding advanced protocols such as P25 without a host PC. (btw, the firmware for this project is several years old and was before I added an LSM demod) I think each one of those cost me around $700 for the parts. Of course that cost would come down in volume. These days, I doubt you could get very many of the parts. It is getting really bad now. It is all about tradeoffs when trying to figure out what is going to work for a product and its target audience.
As for the LSM question, is SDR necessary? I think the answer to that is that it depends on what you call an SDR. You could do the LSM related stuff in an FPGA. Do you consider something that utilizes HDL an SDR? Any modern narrow-band receiver that does anything better than 2-level FSK or BPSK is probably going to be implemented in firmware (SDR) or in an ASIC or FPGA with HDL (SDR?)

Ubbe

New original R840 high frequency head QFN 24 pin SMD LCD chip| | - AliExpress US $0.79

UPMan seemed to get really excited when I mentioned that it would had been a better solution to use the proven BCD536/996 receiver design and just add the IQ demodulator to it. He probably wanted to do that but management probably requested a less costly design to produce, as the profit margin had gone down with all the recall of display and clock issues and UPMan delivered upgrades of extra features at no cost and so on.

It has to cost less to produce a SDS200 than a BCD536, as most of the firmware are recycled and it has fewer hardware components, but it still sells for more as that are what people are willing to pay and there's hardly any competitors.

/Ubbe

itchy201

A few years back when the battery door clip broke uniden wouldn't sell me the part. A member on here was making them and bought a few from him. @jonwienke not sure if he is still around and not sure if he has any or he can make. PayPal Payments
I purchased a bnc adapter and a replacement door clip from his website last month. It took 2 weeks for him to ship it out but his website did state any purchases would take 1-2 weeks to ship so expect any orders to take a while to arrive.

KC8ONR

Premium Subscriber
The CB market is bigger than the scanner market. It will likely get larger now that the FCC has approved FM for CB. Baby monitors are a good sized market too. How many marine radios do you think they sell as opposed to scanners?
I doubt FM makes the CB market any better. CB's have had FM for a long time ( mainly export rigs ) and who has used it? I know I have had several radios with FM and have never used it. Quite frankly its worthless in my opinion. Anyway back to the original post .......

Its just a cover , its not like the unit has any waterproof rating with or without the cover.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
The refusal to sell parts is showing up in many products. Some of the gun makers aren't selling simple parts like springs and replacement screws for sights. And when you can get them, the prices are just nuts. I had bought a used and well abused surplus Jericho 941 online, and it came with an incorrect spring that made the gun as worthless as it looked at first glance. I went online to the manufacturer's website and they would sell me one for a pretty high price. Good old Ebay had one for 1/3 the price. Same exact spring, in the same packaging. Sadly, some stuff is like gold, if you find it, grab it, regardless of the price, as you probably won't see it again. I have a gun I really like that is one spring breaking away from being a paperweight. I haven't seen a part for it in a long while. I should have paid the $40 bucks for the spring set about 5 years ago. Now they are unavailable and the company who made it is long long gone.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I hope Joe Bearcat reads this message. I have a recently acquired BCD325P2 that needs the rubber cover for the USB port. I called Uniden about 3 or 4 weeks ago & it was on back order. Called last week & they we in, but they would not sell me one. They wanted me to send the radio in to have them install the $2 part. So, $89 plus shipping, plus insurance for a Uniden tech to remove 6 screws, install the cover, replace 6 screws. Took me about 3 minutes.
I currently own 8 digital Uniden scanners. This policy is just WRONG. Anyone have a junker that's unrepairble that I can salvage the USB cover from?

Pissed off in NH

@rja1 you should tag @JoeBearcat since it would seem he has not seen this thread.