Unidentified Signal

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey all. Trying to ID this signal. I live in a residential area near downtown Wolfeboro and have been trying to track down some possible interference messing with my reception. It’s been a long process, still working on it. I bought a TinySA spectrum analyzer and found a very strong signal at my house that might be the culprit. Video below. I’m being told it shins like a control channel for trunking or DMR system. Frequency is 150.980. This is registered to NH Elrctric Co-Op, with transmit sites in Wakefield and Conway. Nothing in Wolfeboro. Crazy part is the signal is strongest within 1/4 mile of my house. There are no towers near my house. It’s all residential. Any ideas? Thanks!

BinaryMode

Sounds like a DMR trunk system. That would be the control channel.

Yeah, it's the NH Electric Co-Op. Digital Frequency Search Callsign: WQTY326

Last edited:

ecps92

Hey all. Trying to ID this signal. I live in a residential area near downtown Wolfeboro and have been trying to track down some possible interference messing with my reception. It’s been a long process, still working on it. I bought a TinySA spectrum analyzer and found a very strong signal at my house that might be the culprit. Video below. I’m being told it shins like a control channel for trunking or DMR system. Frequency is 150.980. This is registered to NH Elrctric Co-Op, with transmit sites in Wakefield and Conway. Nothing in Wolfeboro. Crazy part is the signal is strongest within 1/4 mile of my house. There are no towers near my house. It’s all residential. Any ideas? Thanks!

As mentioned over at Scan New England and very likely your next town over Wakefield tower site, but without a Color Code, impossible to confirm. It could also be the +/- adjacent freq's also licensed to the power company's TRS

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, more experimentation needed. It’s just weird how the signal drops off if I drive away from my house in either direction.

ecps92

Thanks, more experimentation needed. It’s just weird how the signal drops off if I drive away from my house in either direction.
Signals don't always follow common paths
I live only less than 10 mi from a transmitter and can move my antenna 1' to the left and it comes in weak, 1" to the right and it is also weak, but that sweet spot between it is fine. Or even better, from my QTH south of Boston -- Concord NH fire is not always there, but Lakes Region is 24/7/365 reception and that is with ZERO outside antennas and an over 100mi distance

Last edited:

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Signals don't always follow common paths
I live only less than 10 mi from a transmitter and can move my antenna 1' to the left and it comes in weak, 1" to the right and it is also weak, but that sweet spot between it is fine. Or even better, from my QTH south of Boston -- Concord NH fire is not always there, but Lakes Region is 24/7/365 reception and that is with ZERO outside antennas and an over 100mi distance
Yea I’ll get on my roof with my handheld scanner and check some different locations. The Lakes Region system is a monster. I can be sitting in Portsmouth, NH in my car and pick up Lakes Region better then Seacoast Fire which is basically next door. Lakes Region comes in just as clear at my house with NO antenna on my scanner as it does with my roof antenna haha.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Yeah, it's the NH Electric Co-Op. Digital Frequency Search Callsign: WQTY326
What's your proof on this? Just because you found the license in the search, doesn't mean this is the user. EMSflyer84 did not provide any other details that would ID it, such as voice traffic, talkgroups, or control channels. The correct response should be "it could be this..."
Hey all. Trying to ID this signal.

That sounds more like high speed telemetry to me than a DMR control channel, but it's not easy to tell from the video. Do you have the DMR option on that radio?

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
What's your proof on this? Just because you found the license in the search, doesn't mean this is the user. EMSflyer84 did not provide any other details that would ID it, such as voice traffic, talkgroups, or control channels. The correct response should be "it could be this..."

That sounds more like high speed telemetry to me than a DMR control channel, but it's not easy to tell from the video. Do you have the DMR option on that radio?
No DMR option. What would be the source of high speed telemetry?

ecps92

As mentioned over at Scan New England and very likely your next town over Wakefield tower site, but without a Color Code, impossible to confirm. It could also be the +/- adjacent freq's also licensed to the power company's TRS
from one of our Long Time members over at Scan New England , based on his reading the DMR Data, this is the Wakefield Tower Site and the current Control Channel

ecps92

Yea I’ll get on my roof with my handheld scanner and check some different locations. The Lakes Region system is a monster. I can be sitting in Portsmouth, NH in my car and pick up Lakes Region better then Seacoast Fire which is basically next door. Lakes Region comes in just as clear at my house with NO antenna on my scanner as it does with my roof antenna haha.
that would be since they mostly would be using the Mt Belknap transmitter, right across the water from you.

jmfirefighter

that would be since they mostly would be using the Mt Belknap transmitter, right across the water from you.
LRMFA is a Tait IP simulcast system now.....if he's in Portsmouth picking it up, that's likely their site on Blue Job in Farmington. Blue Job has LOS into the Seacoast.