Unit ID Question - usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilbell

I installed the updates with no problem. I wonder of someone can explain the real value of the unit ID feature. I only monitor two trunked systems, one a mass transit system (BART) and the other a distant Police system. I see the numeric unit id when the mobile unit transmits -- but what does that accomplish for me ?

I'm not trying to be provocative, just seeking information...

Neil Bell

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Short answer: Caller ID for Trunked Radio Systems.

What advantage does Caller ID give you for your home phone or cellphone?

Answer: You know who is calling.

Same thing with UIDs...it gives you a better understanding of how a system is laid out and who the users are. It is another strong tool to use in better understanding a Trunked Radio system.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Would you like to know what radio ID corresponds to what unit?

I haven't tried it yet as I haven't been close enough to my favorite system to give it a shot, but I'm wondering if you can put an alert tone on the alias entry so that the scanner will make noise when a given radio is in use. For example.. if the police helicopter transmits, you could have the scanner beep or flash.

Even if that idea doesn't work, for some of us, it's simply more information that we like to see, to be able to identify specific radios in a trunk system.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I haven't tried it yet as I haven't been close enough to my favorite system to give it a shot, but I'm wondering if you can put an alert tone on the alias entry so that the scanner will make noise when a given radio is in use. For example.. if the police helicopter transmits, you could have the scanner beep or flash.

Hey Jay...I handled this question in the sticky up top...no UID sound/color alert available with this Firmware update.
Who knows down the road though? :wink::cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hey Jay...I handled this question in the sticky up top...no UID sound/color alert available with this Firmware update.
Who knows down the road though? :wink::cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sorry, hard to keep track of all the threads. Maybe we need a containment thread. ;)

And yes, it would be a good update for the future!

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.610 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

That was the first thing I tryed, make dispatch have a quick beep. It didn't work, then I cryed. Jk. lol

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For professional users, keeping track of who is transmitting can be a mission critical ability. Think about FD situations where you have multiple personnel at a scene. If an SOS goes out, knowing immediately who is transmitting can be lifesaving information.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
It's useful when trying to figure out undocumented talkgroups. Say you hear UID i1234 say "I'm going to channel 2". You hit search, and find a new talkgroup, and see that UID i1234 is transmitting there. That helps to confirm that talkgroup as "channel 2". If you're good at recognizing voices are the voices are distinct enough, that may not be necessary, but seeing the UID can help verify stuff like that.

I think and hope it will be even more useful in future updates where you'll be able to scan/search for particular radios.
Ben

Eng74

It is also a good way to find out if an engine is out of service and they are in a reserve or maybe they got their new engine in service.

Status
Not open for further replies.