Unit ID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
I wasn't able to find a definitive answer. So I am going to ask. If there's any links to this, please post below.

I have a question about inputting Unit ID's into the SDS200.

I know most of you are going to automatically send the easy to read manual, lol
That is not the question, lol

Example: If I input Unit ID 100, and say its dispatch. Then save it. And then go to scan.
  • Will it ONLY scan the 1 UNIT ID, and not scan anything else?
  • Or will it scan, and show diff Unit ID's, and only when it stops on 100, it says dispatch, but still scans?

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't able to find a definitive answer. So I am going to ask. If there's any links to this, please post below.

I have a question about inputting Unit ID's into the SDS200.

I know most of you are going to automatically send the easy to read manual, lol
That is not the question, lol

Example: If I input Unit ID 100, and say its dispatch. Then save it. And then go to scan.
  • Will it ONLY scan the 1 UNIT ID, and not scan anything else?
  • Or will it scan, and show diff Unit ID's, and only when it stops on 100, it says dispatch, but still scans?
You scan Talkgroups, not Radio ID's (Unit ID's). Unit ID's are specific to subscriber radios. So for example if you are monitoring Mayberry Fire, Fireground 3, during a structure fire you may see dozens of Radio ID's come across that single talkgroup. If it's a large incident you may see fire units from other counties come up on that Talkgroup. But in any event, you can't "scan" or "avoid" based on Radio ID's. You can only scan or avoid talkgroups. That's a VERY short and basic explanation.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Thanks.

I guess what I am trying to ask is.

If I input a Unit ID, and save it into the scanner.
Will it just scan that freq with JUST that unit id?
or
Will it scan that freq, and still show other unit id's as well?

I guess basically I am asking, if I input a unit ID and save it. Will it be missing all the other unit id's, since I have it programmed for the 1 unit id on that tg

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.

I guess what I am trying to ask is.

If I input a Unit ID, and save it into the scanner.
Will it just scan that freq with JUST that unit id?
or
Will it scan that freq, and still show other unit id's as well?

I guess basically I am asking, if I input a unit ID and save it. Will it be missing all the other unit id's, since I have it programmed for the 1 unit id on that tg
So yes, if you input an alpha tag for 1 unit ID, it will show all the other unit ID's on that talkgroup as decimal numbers. It would be very common to only label certain UID's such as dispatch consoles, supervisors etc.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Thank you :)

Sorry for the confusion, lol

I am about to add a few unit id's into the scanner in a sec. And wanted to ask before I did.
I didn't want to be missing out on stuff, lol

I want to take a second, and say thank you.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Natedawg1604’s explanation is solid as I understand UID’s. I can add this… assigning a UID will NOT limit the scanner to hearing only that UID. The scanner will continue to scan TG’s and all UID’s that come up on those TG’s. (There is also the ability to “Search” for UID’s while scanning.)

If you assign a UID into memory and then just listen… you will learn the scanner will continue to operate as you want it to, meaning it will scan all you have, according to your programming. (I could have given the curt reply to your post of “Did you try it? What were your results?” But there may be something else going on that caused you not to trust your results if you did try this first, so I’m hoping my post helps in any case.)

tvengr

Well Known Member
Unit ID has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with what the radio scans, only the talkgroup ID (TGID) or conventional frequency. If you have Unit ID Name programmed in the display, it will display Engine 1, Truck 2, Medic 3, etc., whatever is associated with that particular Radio ID number only if it is programmed in the scanner. If Radio ID Name is in the display, it will display the Radio ID number if a Radio ID Name is not programmed for that Radio ID number.

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Ok on control channels… thanks for the correction… substitute control channels for TG’s as this is correct. I used TG’s as a matter of differentiation when compared to UID’s. But, here’s a question… since the (programmed) TG’s are looked at while scanning control channels, aren’t they scanned?

Ok on control channels… thanks for the correction… substitute control channels for TG’s as this is correct. I used TG’s as a matter of differentiation when compared to UID’s. But, here’s a question… since the (programmed) TG’s are looked at while scanning control channels, aren’t they scanned?
If you watch the display, you'll notice. It's the Control Channel frequencies scrolling on the display.

The Control Channel tells the scanner what to monitor.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The scanner scans Control Channels, not Talk Groups.
When you program talkgroups, you create a table. If in ID Scan, the scanner will read the control channel and output only those talkgroups you have programmed in the table. If in ID Search, the scanner outputs every talkgroup on the control channel.

Last edited:

Ubbe

If in ID Search, the scanner outputs every talkgroup on the control channel.
It stills go trough the TG table to try and find a match and then if found will display its name tag and use any other flags for it like lights and alert and delay. But that TG entry will also have a flag for permanent avoid, and if that TG have been avoided it will not output anything on the display and not unmute and will stop to scan through the TG table and act as if nothing was received in ID search mode. There's also a temp avoid memory of 254 positions that would be searched first for a TG match.

/Ubbe

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The only purpose served by entering Radio IDs is that it may give you some idea of "Who" talking and the ability to do some alerting when a given Radio is talking.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Put another way, all the UID/RID does is change what is shown on the UID/RID line - being a tag rather than the number.

As was mentioned, programming or not programming a UID/RID does not affect what is scanned or heard.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Put another way, all the UID/RID does is change what is shown on the UID/RID line - being a tag rather than the number.

As was mentioned, programming or not programming a UID/RID does not affect what is scanned or heard.

Thank you.

I have been wanting to add the tags, but wasn't sure if it would effect any performance.

I appreciate it, thank you.
Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.