Unmarked TPD Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireMedic712

I've read the few threads about TPD's new units around town, but I saw a completely white unmarked brand new crown vic today on the IDL westbound with a car pulled over. Is this TPD and how many of these do they have? Are these units primarily used for traffic or was this possibly a detective that wanted to get out the ticket book? I've seen the impalas and a new charger and I'm pretty new to living in tulsa, what all do they have??
Also anyone know if there is a specific TPD designator for units working traffic or "speed shifts"? Thanks!

CommShrek

I've seen TPD with white unmarked Crown Vic's and I've also seen OHP with the same thing. All of the questions you asked are posibilities. It would be wild guess for me to say any different.

CommShrek

mfolta1 said:
tpd has many unmarked units. the most recent is the chiefs old marauder. also vics and impalas.

I've seen some detectives in a Ford Taurus as well. Most recently Maroon in color.

car2back

DPS was using an unmarked beige or tan Crown Vic a couple months ago for traffic on 244 just south of the Arkansas river bridge.

One of our detectives at Creek Co drives a white tarus, and the other rolls in a "seized" black '04 Licoln Navigator with 22" wheels :D

FireMedic712

Ok, saw the same (or similar) car again today on peoria with 2 TPD marked units as backers, I'm guessing the white vics with phantom antennas and LED's are new TPD units. Does DPS stop normal traffic or just semis? I've seen the newer taurus with the old school lightbar on it, but I didnt know everyone was fair game for them.. Who governs the DPS cars and how come alot of these cars have civilian plates??? This is all new to me, sorry if this thread is out of place guys and gals.. I'm a country boy in the big city now..

freqscout

The brown and white taurus's can stop anyone, they do weights and measures stuff for the Highway Patrol, I believe. They specialize in semi-trucks and their compliance with the various rules that govern them.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
FireMedic712 said:
I saw a completely white unmarked brand new crown vic today on the IDL westbound with a car pulled over.
I saw the same car, about the same time, sitting in the middle of the B/A as you came into downtown.The was also a dark Merc. with someone pulled over between the 15th street on ramp and the Utica exit. Also the driver of the Merc. was TPD.

Last edited:

CommShrek

freqscout said:
The brown and white taurus's can stop anyone, they do weights and measures stuff for the Highway Patrol, I believe. They specialize in semi-trucks and their compliance with the various rules that govern them.

Sounds more like the Corporation Commision to me. That's a seperate agency from OHP.

CommShrek

FireMedic712 said:
Ok, saw the same (or similar) car again today on peoria with 2 TPD marked units as backers, I'm guessing the white vics with phantom antennas and LED's are new TPD units. Does DPS stop normal traffic or just semis? I've seen the newer taurus with the old school lightbar on it, but I didnt know everyone was fair game for them.. Who governs the DPS cars and how come alot of these cars have civilian plates??? This is all new to me, sorry if this thread is out of place guys and gals.. I'm a country boy in the big city now..

DPS is kind of a broad brush to paint things with. It's kind of like someone saying they are a federal agent with the Dept. of Homeland Security. There are many different seperate divisions within both of those respective departments. I guess the answer to your question would be "both". Different divisions within DPS can and do stop both semi's and normal traffic.

When you mention a newer Ford Taurus with an "old school" lightbar on it. Are you talking about a tan or brown colored one that says Corporation Commision on the side and has a Federal Signal Jetstream ligthbar on it? Those are the guys that are out there checking semi trucks and stuff like that.

About the civilian plates, any agency can have a vehicle with civilian plates on it. It's all a matter of what that plate says when it's run through VREG. I'm sure Phil has run into this also but there are some black Crown Vic's out there with civilian plates that are not really civilian cars. When you run the tag through the state's vehicle registration database (VREG) it comes back "not on file".

I know who those guys are but I'm guessing they don't care to let everyone know who they are. :)

Oh, and now that you are in the city, I hope they told you that you have to keep your banjo in a locked case and seperate from the drivers compartment of your vehicle. You must also store it unloaded (must remove the strings).

I'd hate to see you go down for transporting a loaded hillbilly instrument. :)

car2back

CommShrek said:
Sounds more like the Corporation Commision to me. That's a seperate agency from OHP.

I used to work for a oilfield tank truck service, I learned real fast to keep my mouth shut when those guys visited....:wink:

712 when I said DPS, I meant OHP, sorry.

The car I saw had a regular OK plate, At fist I though it must be a whacker, but a uniformed Tooper got out of it. CommShrek, your right, it came back not on file, same as the standard OHP plates when the trooper's radio designator.

Last edited:

CommShrek

mfolta1 said:
the white vic is tpd,,saw it today, driver was wearing tpd uniform.

I thought it was a uniform salesman from one of the police supply stores in town. That's why I didn't stop ossifer. :)

car2back

escalde2.jpg

Deffinantly not unmarked!​

KE5EHI

TPD's traffic units are identified for UDS as Zebra units. I believe Victor are another divisions. Not sure what the third is.

TPD has unmarked Crown Vics, Chargers, Impala's, and that Mercury Maurader that I've seen. Most are traffic units.

Status
Not open for further replies.