Updates are Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We will have no idea what computer you use for doing upgrades. Nor will we care. Every scanner will have different ESN's (well, there is a 1:1,000,000 or so chance that two BCD396T's could end up with the same ESN, but I'll take that risk).

JASII

Memory Capacity
NAC Codes

Are NAC codes going to be an update or upgrade coming to the BCD396/996T or is it all purely wild speculation at this point?

yaesumofo

I am very surprised that nobody has attempted this yet.
Heck they hacked the heck out of linksys routers.

The thing is this. IF Uniden used public domain software in the development of the 396/996 and did not release that to the public then shame on them.
If they did and did not tell us then it really is open season and they deserve to be hacked.
Anyway we OWN the hardware and should be allowed to do with it what we want.
I For one do NOT believe that we should have to submit an ESN to get UPDATES to current soft/firmware.
New features are another story.

I wonder if anybody has examined the kernel???
Yaesumofo

Scanmikey said:
Actually, my posts give reasons NOT to try and hack your rig... I just find the topic interesting.

I work for a company that develops it's own software and discussions like this come up a lot... even though piracy isn't an issue for us. I am sure the development team at Uniden has gone through MANY similar discussions.

I await the updates with open arms and will gladly pay for added features if they are offered. :)

Just because you CAN... doesn't mean you SHOULD. ;)

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
JASII said:
Are NAC codes going to be an update or upgrade coming to the BCD396/996T or is it all purely wild speculation at this point?

Wild speculation.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
yaesumofo said:
Yaesumofo

While I (and the DMCA... and Uniden's lawyers... and Paul... and...) would disapprove of stealing Uniden's proprietary code to use ourselves, more importantly I sympathize with your overall comment, and I am really at a loss to explain why nobody has come out with a useable radio (scanner, multiband amateur radio, etc.) that is sufficiently programmable at every level to allow user-written code. There are certainly a few SDR projects out there, but none that I've seen would allow someone interested in only, say, rewriting the UI to get involved. And no real, affordable commercial efforts at all, as far as I know.

What we need is (1) a good SDR hardware platform built by a reputable vendor, plus (2) a shipped set of routines (open source would be nice) at every level of the model, from RF, to IF, to baseband, to memories and the UI, etc., plus (3) documented API access to the hardware and shipped firmware, that together provide a reasonably priced out-of-the-box scanner for anyone that wanted to buy it just for that, or that provide a reasonably priced platform for UI programmers, or for DSP/IF demodulation gurus, etc.

...R

D

DaveNF2G

Such software would, of course, have to be crippled in some way in order to keep from violating ECPA. I'm guessing it will be a long time before we see "open source" SDR for hobbyists.

WA6IJD

Premium Subscriber
BC396D Question

Guess this is as good place as any to ask the question: I see one big difference between the RS and the 396D is the ability to cover 700 Mhz. Does/Will the 396D have this capability with upgrades/ Etc.... Deciding between the RS unit and the 396D. Anybody have a recommendation?

Thanks
Robert in Phoenix,AZ

Astro25

Ooh, as stated before, the ability to decode MDC ID's would be pretty cool (and even more sweet if you could alias them). One can hope!

This update has me waitin'... :lol:

UFEMTFF

Does Uniden know about the following issue? I'm wondering if it might be included in the firmware update.

Scanning convetional systems, then unlock a TRS system and hold on a TG. Once I'm done listening, resume scanning and lock TRS out. Shut off car (996 is hardwired). The next time I start the car, scanner will be held on TG that was previously locked on, even though scanning was resumed before powering the unit off.

Just a note - when I power the system off by using the switch on the unit, the next time I turn it on, everything will be fine. This issue only comes off when the power supply is disconnected.

Thanks

N9JIG

Sheriff
WA6IJD said:
Guess this is as good place as any to ask the question: I see one big difference between the RS and the 396D is the ability to cover 700 Mhz. Does/Will the 396D have this capability with upgrades/ Etc.... Deciding between the RS unit and the 396D. Anybody have a recommendation?

Thanks
Robert in Phoenix,AZ
The 396 and 996 already cover 700 MHz., it is the PRO96/2096 that does not track 700 MHz. trunked systems.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
As mentioned in the front of the O/M, there are some settings (and scanner states) that are not preserved when you remove power (vs. turning off using the switch). In order to preserve the scanner's state, it needs to be able to write some stuff at power off. When you cut power at the cable, it has no way to do this. When you turn off the switch, it does a "graceful" shutdown that preserves these settings.

UFEMTFF

UPMan said:
As mentioned in the front of the O/M, there are some settings (and scanner states) that are not preserved when you remove power (vs. turning off using the switch). In order to preserve the scanner's state, it needs to be able to write some stuff at power off. When you cut power at the cable, it has no way to do this. When you turn off the switch, it does a "graceful" shutdown that preserves these settings.
I guess I'm wondering why it doesn't default to the last "good" shutdown state, as opposed to the last "bad" shutdown state?

Anyways thanks for answer. I won't keep my hopes up for a fix for that. I am looking forward to better P-25 decoding though!

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I just got my 996T and i read all this and now I'm confused. Do I update or not? I see there is already on update out which is 1.03.11 do I need to install this one? I use my scanner mostly for Starcom21 in Illinois which is a P25 system. I just don't want to install updates and mess up a 500.00 scanner which is alot of money in my book. I have read this while thread and wow you guys sure have confussed me.

Thanks Uniden I love my new 996T

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Steve:

Hold off for now. We'll have the updates referenced in the 1st post out in about 2 weeks (we found some stuff that needed to be tweaked which pushed back the release date).

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
UPMan said:
Steve:

Hold off for now. We'll have the updates referenced in the 1st post out in about 2 weeks (we found some stuff that needed to be tweaked which pushed back the release date).

Thanks UPMan I will hold off any updates. Mine seems to be working great so far have not had any problems except the operator trying to program this new style of radio.:lol:

pointy

Will these updates be made for users in Australia of the UBC396 and UBC996 in the near future?

Thanks,Greg.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
yaesumofo said:

The thing is this. IF Uniden used public domain software in the development of the 396/996 and did not release that to the public then shame on them.
If they did and did not tell us then it really is open season and they deserve to be hacked.
Anyway we OWN the hardware and should be allowed to do with it what we want.
I For one do NOT believe that we should have to submit an ESN to get UPDATES to current soft/firmware.
New features are another story.

Yaesumofo

Go read what it is you bought, first page of the manual:

Changes or modifications to this product not expressly
approved by Uniden, or operation of this product in
any way other than as detailed by this Operating
Guide, could void your authority to operate this
product.

Also look on page 8, under Scanning Legally.

Public Domain software is NOT the same as Open Source software. In fact, stuff licensed under the GNU license terms is specifically NOT public domain. The author (or their employeer if done for hire) is the owner of the copyright on the software and even if they may allow you to freely use it, that does not me you are free to modify it.

The only thing you "own" is the physical hardware, not the OS nor the firmware code, that is only licensed to you.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
yaesumofo said:
One thing is for sure. Uniden is planning on creating a NEW revenue stream with these firmware upgrades which are a whole lot less expensive than developing new radios. As it is the 396 probably costs less than ever to manufacture. The price hasn't dropped though.
This way Uniden gets to save development costs fro a while and make money on firmware. They are working hard for the share holder while maximizing company resources.
Yaesumofo

That's why any company is in business...to make money for their shareholders. After all, the shareholders OWN the company. Yes, there is a point where if you hack off too many customers or give too much away....you don't sell products and thus go out of business. There are price points for everything that will maximize profits. Where raising the price will lower sales volume and you end up with less profit, lowering the price will increase sales volume but not enough to overcome the lowered margin per unit so profit also goes down.

If you think about it...today's scanner hardware is not much different than scanner hardware of 10 or 15 years ago. The difference is in the software that controls the scanner. Being able to trunk track is simply a matter of figuring out which frequency to tune the hardware to...and doing so. It's software that figures that out. Likewise with decoding digital transmissions. The radio hardware receives them...it's up to the software to make what's received useful.

So yea...just like it's not Dell or IBM or Gateway or HP that makes a computer useful, it's the software that runs on Dell or IBM or Gateway or HP's hardware that makes it useful. Same with Uniden and GRE....the hardware is simply a radio receiver...and they've been around for over 100 years. It's the software that controls the receiver that gives it value.

I see nothing wrong with Uniden charging for updates. If we don't like the price, we don't have to buy the updates. If we think it's worth it....then why shouldn't Uniden get paid for their efforts? IF Uniden can better utilize their resources upgrading software (and it costs me $50) and I don't have to buy a new radio for $500 to get those new features...that seems like a win-win situation to me.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
pointy said:
Will these updates be made for users in Australia of the UBC396 and UBC996 in the near future?

Thanks,Greg.

Well, I only handle Uniden America product, so can't speak for other divisions.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Yaesumofo said:

Never seen anyone do it successfully. The firmware download images seem to be encrypted somehow. Of course, I would never try to disassemble, decrypt, or reverse engineer the software... I'm just a curious end-user.

wm8s said:
What we need is (1) a good SDR hardware platform built by a reputable vendor, plus (2) a shipped set of routines (open source would be nice) at every level of the model, from RF, to IF, to baseband, to memories and the UI, etc., plus (3) documented API access to the hardware and shipped firmware, that together provide a reasonably priced out-of-the-box scanner for anyone that wanted to buy it just for that, or that provide a reasonably priced platform for UI programmers, or for DSP/IF demodulation gurus, etc.

I think the problem is that nobody could make money on it. It costs beaucoup dollars to build what you're suggesting, and it would be even more costly to try to support it. Putting it into open source effectively "gives away" your intellectual property and allows folks to change it, letting others use that changed version and then complain when it doesn't work right.

For frequencies above HF, the only project I've seen is GNU Radio...
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7319 and
http://gnuradio.org/trac

and despite the software being open-source, the hardware ain't exactly cheap (about $800 for a radio that works above HF frequencies, IIRC).

de Peter K1PGV

Status
Not open for further replies.