Updates are Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

mully95

WZ1 said:
i love my 396.. wouldnt trade it for anything.

I hope I will feel the same way about my new 396 which should be here tomorrow hopefully.

I bought it because it is a Uniden product. I have had a Uniden BC60XLT for well over ten years and can't really see myself buying another brand since I have had no problems with the scanner. Second I bought it because of its digital capabilities because my local sheriff has switched to digital a while back. I used to hear all of their traffic but one day it was dead silence. That's when I found out they went digital. So I'm just trying to get back in the game.

I look at it this way as mentioned earlier that I'm lucky that Uniden is trying to fix problems and will have upgrades available in the future. There is not any other product that I own that has that opportunity except my computer.

Grambo

My 396 is now a paperweight

Tried the new 396T ESN loader program now available.

Got 1/3 and 2/3 sections fine, while doing the long 3/3 part of the update it froze at about the three quarters mark. I let it sit for about an hour to make sure. Notta.

Scanner will not start, notta. Dead. Tried to re-apply the update. Failed. "Update already loaded". Exits with my new ESN number and a checksum of 141.

Ok, so I tried using the "old" BC_VUP 1.5.2.1 program with 1.13.17 firmware. Gets all the way to the end and exits with a checksum error.

Now the scanner at least TRYS to start up, but stops with a "ROM Error".

So far I have sent an email to Customer Service, but that may take days.

Any suggestions in the meantime? Is the v1.14.04 portion of the update available? It sounds to me like the boot loader (sections 1 and 2) is fine, but I need the "soft" part of the update. Or something to clear and re-install the original boot loader.

DickH

Grambo said:
So far I have sent an email to Customer Service, but that may take days.

What will you bet that IF they answer, they will say, "Send it in for repair" without an offer to pay the shipping. Good luck.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
NO ONE ELSE ATTEMPT THIS!!!!

IS published test code to our live site. The update is real and won't hurt your scanner, but we are not yet ready to publish it (it isn't the final version).

If you did do it, send me an email and I'll let you know what to expect.

I'm working w/Grambo to take care of his issue.

Dick: You lose your bet.

WIscannerguy24

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding and BCD396T

Is Uniden in the process of working on a firmware update for the rebanding? I know our 800mhz system in Waukesha, Wisconsin won't be rebanded for a few more months. Is it going to be included in this upcoming firmware update or a later one?

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
I currently have firmware version 1.5.2.1 in my BCD 396T. Do I have to download Firmware Version 1.13.17 in order to get the latest version coming out next week or can I just download the new one and skip 1.13.17 ?
I'm actually very happy with the way my BCD 396T scanner is working right now with the 1.5.2.1 firmware.
Should I do nothing or do you think I should update the firmware.
Thanks, Terry

Grambo

UPMan said:
NO ONE ELSE ATTEMPT THIS!!!!

IS published test code to our live site. The update is real and won't hurt your scanner, but we are not yet ready to publish it (it isn't the final version).

If you did do it, send me an email and I'll let you know what to expect.

I'm working w/Grambo to take care of his issue.

Dick: You lose your bet.

Many thanks to UPMan!! With a little magic of this-n-that, I no longer have a paperweight! :cool: Now THAT is customer support!!

Grambo

motorman105 said:
I currently have firmware version 1.5.2.1 in my BCD 396T. Do I have to download Firmware Version 1.13.17 in order to get the latest version coming out next week or can I just download the new one and skip 1.13.17 ?
I'm actually very happy with the way my BCD 396T scanner is working right now with the 1.5.2.1 firmware.
Should I do nothing or do you think I should update the firmware.
Thanks, Terry

Actually, the 1.5.2.1 is not IN your scanner. That is the BC_VUP version for updating the scanner.

The upcomming ESN loader program will combine a loader and firmware all in one, and will contain all previous firmware updates. Thusly, you may skip 1.13.17 and wait for the final release of the ESN loader.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
DickH said:
What will you bet that IF they answer, they will say, "Send it in for repair" without an offer to pay the shipping.

I'll wager our IRS Rebate Checks that he will be taken care of with a method other than that...

Universaldecoder

Premium Subscriber
This is exciting news! I'm actually very happy with the performance of my 396 & 996 as is. Looking forward to these pay as you go feature upgrades though.

KB1KBD

Fire tone out

UPMan,

Any plans in this update (or near future) to improve the tone out reset times. The 0-5 seconds and infinite just doesn't cut it for me. I'd really like more flexability here. I know we firefighters/emt's are low on the priority list but after asking many times this has driven me away from uniden products.

Sputnik-0

Sorry if this has already been asked, but couldn't find it with a search:

Will the BR-330T be getting an update, and if so, will it include "Close Call - Do Not Disturb"?

Caesar

KB1KBD said:
UPMan,

Any plans in this update (or near future) to improve the tone out reset times. The 0-5 seconds and infinite just doesn't cut it for me. I'd really like more flexability here. I know we firefighters/emt's are low on the priority list but after asking many times this has driven me away from uniden products.

How has that driven you away from Uniden products? Does your new PSR Have a fire tone out feature? ;-P

beischel

I'll just wait

If Uniden starts charging for firmware updates in the future, I will just wait until all the firmware issues are worked out on any new model scanners before making a purchase. Instead of buying a new model, then having to wait for firmware upgrades to fix various issues and paying for each bug fix/enhancement, I'll just wait a few years until the firmware is perfected and then make the purchase. Seems like Uniden is making a stupid mistake, so I will just delay my purchases like many others.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
beischel said:
If Uniden starts charging for firmware updates in the future, I will just wait until all the firmware issues are worked out on any new model scanners before making a purchase.

Doesn't make any sense to me - but if you think that's the best way to go about getting a new scanner then so be it...

CanesFan95

Analog already is interoperable.
I've always wished there was a way to make the BCD396 show the talk group ID in addition to the frequency. There's plenty of room on the screen to do it. They could even move the frequency over one digit to the left to make more room for the talk group ID.

bcd396nightscreencloseurb1.jpg

KB1KBD

Caesar said:
How has that driven you away from Uniden products? Does your new PSR Have a fire tone out feature? ;-P

Caesar,

No the PSR does not have the Fire Tone Out. The reason is I and several others have made the request for better reset times several times over the life of the 396T. My requests have never even been acknowledged by Uniden let alone an explanation as to why they can or can not improve this. I've watched Uniden jump through hoops to fix one little bug in a trunked system that affects very few people. I was ready to buy the 996T when it came out till I found the same rediculous FTO reset times were in that scanner to.

Fire Tone Out or not I am loving my PSR500. The 396T will soon be hitting ebay and a PSR600 will replace it. Unless...

Status
Not open for further replies.