Updates are Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear105

Have to say I'm most interested in what the new for-pay updates might be...I haven't purchased a new GRE product yet as they haven't offered anything I needed. That will probably stand IF Uniden comes thru with the 700Mhz firmware. Otherwise...that PSR-500 is looking good...

soncorn

bear105 said:
Have to say I'm most interested in what the new for-pay updates might be...I haven't purchased a new GRE product yet as they haven't offered anything I needed. That will probably stand IF Uniden comes thru with the 700Mhz firmware. Otherwise...that PSR-500 is looking good...

What 700MHz firmware? The 396 and 996 already trunk and track 700MHz systems.

There must be something I am not aware of. I thought that most of the problems currently were with multicast systems and difficulty decoding those due to two or more signals being received by a radio and interfering with each other. The other problem being audio quality on digital systems.

Viper43

troymail said:
After loading it, I didn't notice anything different (but I have noticed great improvements from previous updates).

Do you have Microsoft Windows Updates turned on? What do you notice when they patch your PC every month? You may not always see or notice what was fixed - GRE or Uniden (or Windows) - but it's good to know they're out there working for us.

#1: they have what the firmware does improve listed in the link I provided in the above post. It's not something you'd normally notice. And they always have release notes for updates - READ THEM!

#2: Windows NEVER puts anything on my computers unless I check it out first. You learn this after an update crashes your computer.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, I wanted to post this yesterday...but avoid posting anything of importance on April 1. :)

I have released the firmware updates to go to QA for both the BCD996T and the BCD396T. The QA process typically takes 5-10 days. We are currently scheduled to release these to the public on 4/10, but if QA finds any issues, this could be pushed back. I really apologize for the delay, but there was an odd "pop" noise we found on one site on one system for one beta tester under rare circumstances and that took extra time to debug and resolve. It was the kind of problem that wouldn't affect a lot of people...but that would be no consolation to those people. Kind of like having a rare disease, it doesn't make you feel any better that the odds are 1:1,000,000 to get it if you are one of the ones that have it.

The tentative release date of 4/10 is just two days before I leave for Asia for a week, where my access to email might be very limited. I spent time with our customer service staff today, and will spend some more time with them as the release gets closer. I'll also ask the folks who participated in the beta testing to take a bit more active role in helping to resolve questions the week I am out.

Except for "dire circumstances" the best place to post questions / problems about the update process will be the forums here or in the scanners' respective Yahoo! group.

One last thing, sadly we lost one of our main scanner support staff to complications from cancer on Monday. Paul Nern was a great asset to Uniden and the scanner community, but more importantly he was a great guy all round. Please keep his family in your thoughts. We miss him a lot.

garys

Premium Subscriber
UPMan said:
Ok, I wanted to post this yesterday...but avoid posting anything of importance on April 1. :)

What's wrong wit April 1? <G> Thanks for the update.

One last thing, sadly we lost one of our main scanner support staff to complications from cancer on Monday. Paul Nern was a great asset to Uniden and the scanner community, but more importantly he was a great guy all round. Please keep his family in your thoughts. We miss him a lot.

The crappiness of this can't be overstated. It's always hard when a friend and co-worker succumbs to a disease like this.

Gary

Caesar

UPMan said:

Thoughts and prayers for Paul Nern's Family. God is with them, let them stay strong with faith. So sad for them to see him go, but he no longer is in any pain..

GTO_04

I am very sorry to hear of the loss! I'll keep Paul Nern's family in my prayers. May he rest in peace.

The delay necessary in order to resolve the "popping" is perfectly understandable. Such is the nature of electronics and firmware updates. Waiting a bit longer to fix that is not going to kill us. Thanks for the update!

GTO_04

W4UVV

maybe has an XP OS death wish

Viper43 said:
#1: they have what the firmware does improve listed in the link I provided in the above post. It's not something you'd normally notice. And they always have release notes for updates - READ THEM!

#2: Windows NEVER puts anything on my computers unless I check it out first. You learn this after an update crashes your computer.

....or foolishly installed IE 7.0. (Do a google search on the grief IE7 has caused). Anyone who allows MS Windows software updates to automatically install without viewing what the update is and deciding whether or not to permit the install must have an XP OS death wish. Software conflicts can develop and software that used to work fine now don't and possible system lockups can occur.

DickH

W4UVV said:
....or foolishly installed IE 7.0. (Do a google search on the grief IE7 has caused). Anyone who allows MS Windows software updates to automatically install without viewing what the update is and deciding whether or not to permit the install must have an XP OS death wish. Software conflicts can develop and software that used to work fine now don't and possible system lockups can occur.

And that's exactly why I NEVER do ANY Windows Updates.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

k9xyz

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
??

Well I for one am just wondering what the next excuse will be for the "updates" being delayed. We will see...

What uniden has one person working on this?

W4UVV

not a good idea

DickH said:
And that's exactly why I NEVER do ANY Windows Updates.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

That's not a good idea either. Malicious software and OS security updates should be installed because hackers are continually tryng to infiltrate XP and Outlook Express.

UFEMTFF

W4UVV said:
That's not a good idea either. Malicious software and OS security updates should be installed because hackers are continually tryng to infiltrate XP and Outlook Express.
I just found a screen shot of Dick's computer:

300px-Spyware_infestation.png

:p

rdale

Premium Subscriber
k9xyz said:
Well I for one am just wondering what the next excuse will be for the "updates" being delayed. We will see...

Yes, we will...

shaft

k9xyz said:

What uniden has one person working on this?

I think that was a bit uncalled for. Uniden seems to be keeping all of us in the loop in regards to the various stages of the updates prior to the release. Its not uncommon for software to go thru pushbacks in regards to a release date.

k9xyz

Banned
not really

Not really, some people know the real reasons :) and besides it should not have been posted more than a month ago and "delayed" no less than 3 times so far with various excuses. The proper thing to have done would have been to wait until after testing, QA, and everything else was done before you say that new updates were about to be released and then stall everyone off for another month or two.

Since QA just apparently got these updates how many want to bet they find issues and it's delayed even more. That was my point, why would you say updates were coming in a week a month before they even go to QA?

My opinion and that's all.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
k9xyz said:
...My opinion ...
And mine was pleasure at receiving advanced notification of a pending update, even if it gets pushed back once or twice. :cool:

I am sure you know the old saying about opinions. :)

fireant

k9xyz, I must admit when I first read your reponse "Well I for one am just wondering what the next excuse will be for the "updates" being delayed. We will see..." I thought was very rude however by reading your additional posts, I understand the comment was not made they way it came out.

I am slowly starting to lose my loyalty toward Uniden. For this and various other reasons.

fireant

W4ELL

Feed Provider
My opinion...

Uniden will not release this update until it is ready... for whatever reason. Paul has kept us up to date on the delays and I have no reason not to trust him. I don't think there is a conspiracy within Uniden to announce an update and then not release it as soon as they can.

I too, would rather have advance notice of an update/product announcement and it be delayed rather than not knowing at all. Unfortunately, with some of the comments in this thread and others, we are seeing one of the disadvantages of announcing preliminary release dates. Fortunately, it looks as if the disgruntled are in the minority so let's hope Uniden listens to the majority on this and continues to release information to us in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.