USS Enterprise COMPTUEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I don't have anything on 5723 yet. Little bit of AM stations bleeding through on the sideband.

Thanks, I sure do miss that C-5A sound! Patterson is just about done with the C-17 conversion, so C-5s are rare to see around here anymore.

I only get to hear those 4-power plants over my house rattling my windows once a year in June when they land at Quonset Point,RI for the annual RIANG airshow.

Last edited:

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I'm a little late to the party on this one but it sounds like there is activity again tonight on 8974. I'm hearing "Echo Whisky" and I believe "Echo" doing radio checks. Using an RFSpace SDR-14 with Par Electronics End FedZ wire antenna, decent signals here on Cape Cod.

Last edited:

jsoergel

I'm a little late to the party on this one but it sounds like there is activity again tonight on 8974. I'm hearing "Echo Whisky" and I believe "Echo" doing radio checks. Using an RFSpace SDR-14 with Par Electronics End FedZ wire antenna, decent signals here on Cape Cod.

Better late than never!

Here's what I have so far:

4712 - Link Coordination Net
ECHO FOXTROT, DELTA, ECHO, JULIET, LIMA, MIKE, OSCAR

5723 - Air Defense Net
ECHO WHISKEY, ECHO CHARLIE, DELTA, ECHO, JULIET, KILO, LIMA, OSCAR

6688 - (reported on another list; I've been listening but haven't heard anything yet)

6745 - ASW Net
ECHO XRAY

8974 - Air Defense Net
ECHO WHISKEY, ECHO CHARLIE, DELTA, ECHO, HOTEL, JULIET, KILO, LIMA, MIKE, OSCAR, UNIFORM

EDIT: 6745 active with lots of ANDVT as of 0245Z.

Last edited:

Token

4712 - Link Coordination Net
ECHO FOXTROT, DELTA, ECHO, JULIET, LIMA, MIKE, OSCAR

I also had what appeared to be an EW (Electronic Warfare) net up on 4712 the other day. But, as typical for these events the EW events might not run more than a couple of times total during the entire at sea time. I would expect the EW net to be up on one of the other freqs the next time it occurs, maybe the "other" AAW net freq.

T!

jsoergel

I also had what appeared to be an EW (Electronic Warfare) net up on 4712 the other day. But, as typical for these events the EW events might not run more than a couple of times total during the entire at sea time. I would expect the EW net to be up on one of the other freqs the next time it occurs, maybe the "other" AAW net freq.

T!

What makes you think it was electronic warfare? Did you log any other callsigns?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
So far, here is the roundup for this exercise (on HF)

4712.0 Clear and Encrypted Voice / Link-11 Tracking Net
4739.0 FIDDLE and ASW Units in clear voice and encrypted voice
5723.0 Clear and Encrypted Voice / Link-11 Tracking Net
6688.0 Clear Voice / Link-11 Tracking Net
8971.0 FIDDLE and ASW Units in clear voice and encrypted voice
8974.0 Clear Voice / Link-11 Tracking Net
8978.4 HABITAT up with ASW Ops

jsoergel

So far, here is the roundup for this exercise (on HF)

4712.0 Clear and Encrypted Voice / Link-11 Tracking Net
4739.0 FIDDLE and ASW Units in clear voice and encrypted voice
5723.0 Clear and Encrypted Voice / Link-11 Tracking Net
6688.0 Clear Voice / Link-11 Tracking Net
8971.0 FIDDLE and ASW Units in clear voice and encrypted voice
8974.0 Clear Voice / Link-11 Tracking Net
8978.4 HABITAT up with ASW Ops

I'm pretty sure 5723 and 8974 should be Air Defense nets, since they are controlled by ECHO CHARLIE/ECHO WHISKEY.

More Link-11 active 5588 tonight.

EDIT: Also, to clarify, the tracking nets do not appear to be using Link-11 - they are on Link-16 for primary.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I'm pretty sure 5723 and 8974 should be Air Defense nets, since they are controlled by ECHO CHARLIE/ECHO WHISKEY.

More Link-11 active 5588 tonight.

EDIT: Also, to clarify, the tracking nets do not appear to be using Link-11 - they are on Link-16 for primary.

Hey Jared,Obviously you have more knowledge then some of us newbies to milcom and was wondering if you could explain how you made the determination between an Air Defence Net and a Link-11 Net. Im guessing the Air Defence Nets are passing all the track numbers? Also how have you determined that ECHO CHARLIE/ECHO WHISKEY are primary controllers for Air Defence nets.

Thanks,Rob

Last edited:

jsoergel

Hey Jared,Obviously you have more knowledge then some of us newbies to milcom and was wondering if you could explain how you made the determination between an Air Defence Net and a Link-11 Net. Im guessing the Air Defence Nets are passing all the track numbers? Also how have you determined that ECHO CHARLIE/ECHO WHISKEY are primary controllers for Air Defence nets.

Thanks,Rob

The ___ CHARLIE/___ WHISKEY (the first letter varies for each carrier) callsigns are pretty standard for carrier groups - they are Air Defense Commanders. On these nets, you'll hear them call out tracks for players to investigate, and sometimes you'll even hear missile calls and whatnot.

___ FOXTROT (same format as above) is the Force Track/Link Coordinator. Most of the traffic on this net is either "Are you in comms with so-and-so?" or "timber" checks - Link-16. They haven't been using Link-11 much between surface assets on this trip. You'll also hear track numbers on this net, but not in the same format as the defense net.

Token

What makes you think it was electronic warfare? Did you log any other callsigns?

Pretty much the same callsigns that had been heard on other frequencies, I think it was Echo Charlie as net control/command. However, they were specifically correlating ESM tracks (they mentioned "ESM track" several times) with NTDS/TADIL track files and designations and at the same time the AAW net was active on 5723.

Also, at one point, a Vampire was called here with a bearing only and about 30 seconds later a specific track was designated as a Vampire on 5723 kHz. It was then prosecuted to termination with a missile from one of the units on 5723 kHz.

The ___ CHARLIE/___ WHISKEY (the first letter varies for each carrier) callsigns are pretty standard for carrier groups - they are Air Defense Commanders. On these nets, you'll hear them call out tracks for players to investigate, and sometimes you'll even hear missile calls and whatnot.

___ FOXTROT (same format as above) is the Force Track/Link Coordinator. Most of the traffic on this net is either "Are you in comms with so-and-so?" or "timber" checks - Link-16. They haven't been using Link-11 much between surface assets on this trip. You'll also hear track numbers on this net, but not in the same format as the defense net.

The _____ Whiskey/_____ Foxtrot/_____ Charlie/etc are not just standard for carrier groups, even when no carrier is part of the group/force there are still AAW/ASW/ESM networks and the procedures are pretty much the same. Just so people who have had little or limited exposure to this understand, these designations can transfer to any unit in the force as needed, at any time, and does NOT mean you are hearing the CSG or SAG command vessel (a SAG does not include a carrier in the force, the carrier is normally the command vessel of the CSG, what we have been hearing on the radio the past few days are portions of CSG-12). Particularly with a SAG there is no telling what ship might be the primary on what network.

I have heard quite a few “gator” checks from this group, particularly the first couple days but "timber" does appear to be in use or mentioned more than I have heard many times in the past.

T!

jsoergel

Pretty much the same callsigns that had been heard on other frequencies, I think it was Echo Charlie as net control/command. However, they were specifically correlating ESM tracks (they mentioned "ESM track" several times) with NTDS/TADIL track files and designations and at the same time the AAW net was active on 5723.

Also, at one point, a Vampire was called here with a bearing only and about 30 seconds later a specific track was designated as a Vampire on 5723 kHz. It was then prosecuted to termination with a missile from one of the units on 5723 kHz.

Yeah, I agree that it does sound like EW - however, I'm not so sure it really changes the net usage. In essence, it's still a track coordination net. I think they also use 4712 for radio maintenance; early Thursday morning (0300 EST-ish), the units were up with radio checks from various transmitters. No link checks or track numbers, just calls to each other and test counts.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Hearing some pertinent comms on 8971 as well; content included a Lat/Long for current position of Enterprise.

Edit: Which I now notice Lindsay had listed above...oh well, was current as of 1513Z.

SCPD

QRT
8971 USB:
TIGER-71 LIMA (Possible P-3C aircraft, NAS Jacksonville FL) working net control.
AIRCRAFT-915 working FIDDLE in the clear.

Time 1414z

Token

Yeah, I agree that it does sound like EW - however, I'm not so sure it really changes the net usage. In essence, it's still a track coordination net. I think they also use 4712 for radio maintenance; early Thursday morning (0300 EST-ish), the units were up with radio checks from various transmitters. No link checks or track numbers, just calls to each other and test counts.

AAW, ASW, ESM/EW, are all track coordination, so I guess it could rightfully be said they are all track coordination nets.

As I said before, EW events and combined EW/AAW/ASW events on these exercises tend to be less frequent and shorter than other events. I am talking about real EW events with emitters or emitter simulators radiating in free space that are actually being received in the open air by folks at the SLQ-29/SLQ-32/WLR-1/WLR-11/ALQ-142/etc hardware and that can be correlated to other tracks. These take dedicated platforms that are in the enventory in very limited numbers. For other events, such as AAW/ASW events, a simulated ESM bearing can be inserted that correlates, or will eventually correlate, to a NTDS/TADIL track. The EW net, when active, needs to be separate from the AAW or ASW net.

Because any net can move to any pre-assigned frequency as needed, for example in the event of interference, technical issues, intruder on the net, etc, the coordination net we are hearing on 4712 might actually be on a freq assigned for the EW net in some capacity for all we know. There are a limited number of pre-assigned frequencies for an exercise, and the number is typically quite small. All we can say as listeners is that “XXX” type of traffic has been heard on “YYY” frequency.

Regardless, at the time I am talking about that freq (4712 kHz) was being used for an EW network, and no other activity was on that net at the time, with periodic EW SitReps when activity was low. However, prior to that and after that there was traffic that was “other” in nature, a mixed bag, radio checks, etc but no SitReps for any specific purpose.

Also, during last years CVN-77 EX the EW net showed up on what had been being used as an AAW net prior to that (AAW net was on another freq at the time), and was again used as an AAW net sometime after the EW EX was done.

T!

jsoergel

Because any net can move to any pre-assigned frequency as needed, for example in the event of interference, technical issues, intruder on the net, etc, the coordination net we are hearing on 4712 might actually be on a freq assigned for the EW net in some capacity for all we know. There are a limited number of pre-assigned frequencies for an exercise, and the number is typically quite small. All we can say as listeners is that “XXX” type of traffic has been heard on “YYY” frequency.

That's a pretty good summary. Seems like they all got a good night's sleep; nothing much heard after midnight. 8974 is active now, but very sporadic. Link-11 on 4772 and 7990, both have been running throughout the night.

SCPD

QRT
Today on 8974 they were running the usual track coordination numbers and referencing points Donald Duck,Jiminy Cricket and Root Beer.lol

Token

At this time (0130 UTC, 01/21/2012) 6688 seems to the be coordination frequency and 8974 is the AAW net.

T!

(edit) Interestingly 6688 sounds like post event critique right now (0140), almost as if the REFTRA evaluators are on that net from time to time. Sure wish they would move to a different freq, I have some Asian fishermen up 1 kHz who are messing that freq up.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
8971 USB:TIME 1923z

FIGHTING TIGER-71 ROMEO (P-3C VP-8 NAS Jacksonville FL) Working FIDDLE
FIGHTING TIGER-71 PAPA (P-3C VP-8 NAS Jacksonville FL) Working FIDDLE
FIGHTING TIGER-71 NOVEMBER (P-3C VP-8 NAS Jacksonville FL) Working FIDDLE
AIRCRAFT-915 With a radio check to FIDDLE (CP TSCC NAS Jacksonville FL)

SCPD

QRT
8971 USB:
Still very active this morning. One interesting note...at one point an aircraft calling I think c/s GOLD FINCH stated that they would be moving out of range and would be switching to HF. I have also noted that many transmissions sound like they are being simulcast on HF. Many have Rodger Beeps at the end of their transmissions. Could this possibly indicate some sort of link being used between HF and UHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.